Question about scope mounting.

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by 95sniper, Oct 7, 2013.

1. 95sniper

95sniper New Member

I'm looking to buy a nice longer range bolt action rifle in the near future. I'm thinking of a savage in .308.

I'm not an expert about mounting scopes and I was wondering how you would go about mounting a scope.

What type of mount, what rings, ect. Feel free to ask questions if you need more info.

Thanks.

2. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

usually you might need a set of bases, and then a set of rings.

For starters, heres a Savage mount link to weaver scope mounts. What model of Savage do you have?
    http://www.weaveroptics.com/mountcharts/default.aspx

Select Savage in the "Select Make' window and check out their model numbers. What kind of scope are you planning on using? examples are like ;;;

3x9x40
    4x12x40

1 inch tube, or 30mm tube?

do you have a scope already? Or just in the shoppin' process?

What are the intended purposes for your scope? General hunting and target shooting? Varmint hunting? Close quarters shooting? etc etc etc :)

3. hoovco

hoovco New Member

With mounting, I like to use the little liquid filled levels that you can get at Home Depot. Level the rifle, then the scope. Shoot a group at 100 yds. Then dial like 20 minutes of elevation. Shoot another group. If your scope is canted your second group will be off to the left or right.

4. 95sniper

95sniper New Member

Ok, I do not have a rifle yet, nor do I have the scope. I'm looking for this to be a target rifle, nothing crazy but at least 300 yards. I was looking at a 4-16 Vortex. Do you think that will be enough scope to touch maybe 500 yards? Ill look at the link you posted, thanks.

5. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

yes, the scope would definitely do its part at 500 yards :)

6. Steel_Talon

Steel_Talon New Member

7. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i follow-up this procedure with a a boresighter.

8. Mongo

Mongo Well-Known Member Supporter

If you decide to mount it yourself, I recommend to buy hollow ground screwdrivers.

9. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

good idea if they use the slotted screws. but many scope rings and bases are now using Allen headed or Torx headed screws.