Question about saftey on S&W M&P

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by northhike, Apr 23, 2012.

1. northhike

northhike New Member

I purchased a new S&W M&P 9mm but it did not come with a saftey. How hard is it to install one or is this a gun smith situation? My wife would prefer a saftey on the gun.

Thanks!

2. Donn

Donn Active Member

Got two M&P's, full size and a Compact 9 neither of which have external safeties. I've never thought twice about it. In fact, I feel safer carrying the M&P's in C1 with no external safety than my 1911's which have three. M&P's are available with a thumb safety, surprised you didn't get one. Might require a new slide.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012

3. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

Yeah I think it may be cheaper to buy a new one with a thumb safety.

4. Polygon

Polygon New Member

It would be cheaper and easier to just get one with a safety. Personally, I don't see why you absolutely NEED one on a DAO. They can't fire unless you pull the trigger.

5. levelcross

levelcross New Member

The official word from S&W is they can not put a thumb safety on the M&P without it originally being on the gun. I tried to get them to put one on mine while they had it in for some minor work.

I want to look at one with the thumb safety side by side and see if it is just some lame answer or if there is something different between the two guns.

I like it fine without it but the little girl wanted it if possible.

6. chuckyd46032

chuckyd46032 New Member

Mine doesnt have a safety either. I hsve to carry it with empty chamber.

7. danolator

danolator New Member

I ordered mine with the safety because that's how I prefer to carry. If Glock offered an external safety as an option, I would sell the M&P in a heartbeat.

8. nicklarimore

nicklarimore New Member

You can do it, all it entails is getting a new sear block housing, the thumb lever, the detent, and spring then cut the notches into the frame for the lever. Not as difficult as it sounds but it is kinda hard to find the parts. You will almost have to find someone who took the safety off of theirs and wants to get rid of it.

9. JonM

JonM Moderator

If it bugs her you bought the wrong gun.

Some handguns with safeties all excellent guns: beretta 92series, 1911, fnx, cz75, browning hipower, taurus 92 series, hk usp series, czsp series just to name a few amongst many others.

Having a gun your scared of to carry for whatever reason leads to leaving it at home. Leaving it at home violates the cardinal rule of self defense: have a gun.

If you bought it and took it home and said "here honey i got you a gun" you did her a disservice. Always let her pick her gun. She may surprise you.

To date my wife chose as her shotgun of record a srm 1216, she picked out a xdm 9mm and a beretta m9a1

10. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Why on Earth would you "have" to carry it with an empty chamber? The gun is PERFECTLY safe with a round in the chamber.

The safety is a solution looking for a problem. The feature was probably added to meet some stupid Kali reg.

11. trip286

trip286 New Member

I think the feature was actually added just because customers asked for it. Not sure though.

OP, considering your options... Especially if it's brand new, take it back and see if they'll allow you to trade it. If you bought it used, see if you can trade it in on a new one with the safety. Hope you got it for a good price if it's used, thereby negating some of the loss you'd take if you trade it in on a new one with safety.

DON'T go cutting on your slide if you're not an experienced gunsmith or have some other experience in precision metal working, or unless you're just willing to take a loss. What's easy for some is like building a nuclear reactor for others.

12. nicklarimore

nicklarimore New Member

You don't have to cut the slide, just two notches on the frame. I still wouldn't do it though. ( especially since I just took my safety off.) Too bad you don't live in ky or I would just trade you.

13. chuckyd46032

chuckyd46032 New Member

My weapon is a M&P pro Series and the only way to carry a round in the chamber is cocked. Cocked with a round in the chamber and no safety in a single action only is crazy. Yes my weapon is NOT double action but is single. It sure shoots at least as well as any weapon I have fired

Thx

14. nicklarimore

nicklarimore New Member

Huh? What exactly are you trying to say and M&Ps are double action only.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  15. chuckyd46032

chuckyd46032 New Member

My weapon is NOT a bouble action.

16. nicklarimore

nicklarimore New Member

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  17. chuckyd46032

chuckyd46032 New Member

The model you posted M&P9 is not the model I have. Mine is a M&P 40 Pro Series. If you go to the S&W website you can find mine listed. I have asked S&W to help and am awaiting a response from them.

Thanks

18. nicklarimore

nicklarimore New Member

Ok how's this?

image-197345046.jpg

19. chuckyd46032

chuckyd46032 New Member

Almost.
    That description is for a S&W M&P 40. Mine actually is the M&P 40 Pro Series. If you will look at that description it does not say double action only. Min cannot be fired in double action mode. According to S&W my weapon should have the following safeties:
    1. Passive trigger safety
    2. Striker block safety
    3. Magazine disconnect.

Unfortunately my magazine disconnect safety is not functioning at the moment so S&W has asked me to return it to the factory. I am.

Please don't misunderstand I absolutely love the weapon I just didn't wish to kill myself or someone else by mistake.

Thanks for your imput though.

Chuckyd46032