Question about Raven Arms MP-25

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by bolt_action14, Sep 4, 2013.

1. bolt_action14

bolt_action14 New Member

Hey all,

My dad just found his mom's MP-25 with two clips and a few rounds. I was just wondering if y'all had any input or information on this weapon. I would like to give it to my girlfriend to carry concealed. She works in a not-so-great part of town and I just want her to have something to carry. Any kind of information will help!

Thanks!

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Normally I would say something is better than nothing but if I remember correctly it is an extremely unsafe firearm. I believe they had a tendency towards discharging upon chambering. I wouldn't recommend it.

3. blackxpress

blackxpress New Member

I would not recommend it, or any other .25 for that matter. 30 years ago I had one when I was driving a cab in Atlanta. I kept it under my left thigh while driving in case I needed to distract a BG long enough to get the car stopped and finish him off with my .357. At least that was the plan. I did train with it and never had any problems with it but the .25 is about the most ineffective caliber there is. I chose it because I figured if I had to shoot someone in the back seat while I was driving I could afford to miss without worrying about putting a hot round in the gas tank. I got rid of it after I read a story in the Atlanta Journal about a guy who emptied a .25 into a BG that was hopped up on PCP and the BG beat him nearly to death. He was lucky to have survived. If I was going to give my wife a gun to carry in "a not-so-great part of town" I would get her at least a compact 9mm and make sure she was well trained to use it.

4. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

A 25 is better than nothing. But the Ravens, Jennings and Bryco guns were not safe to carry a chambered round in. If it is all she has, then it is all she has. But if you have a couple hundred dollars to spend you can find something better. I would be looking for a snub nosed revolver in 38. You could find an EAA Windicator used for under $200 if you shop around.

I am not going to tell someone not to carry the only gun that they can afford. If it is all you have...don't carry a round in the chamber. If you can afford to get something better...you should do it.

5. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Good keepsake..............(those are periods)

6. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

Not an ideal gun to depend on.

I'd generally recommend whatever .30-something caliber pistol suits her needs...so 327mag, 357mag/38spl, 380acp, 9mm. On a budget, there are numerous quality options in the $250-500 range.