Question about personal carry..

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by crackshot, Oct 31, 2009.

1. crackshot

crackshot New Member

Does anyone carry a standard sized 9mm as their concealed weapon? I have a Ruger P95 and am considering something smaller for personal defense, but am curious if anyone uses their standard pistol as a personal carry firearm.

Obviously, the standard sized pistol is bigger, and would require a bit more thought about where it would best be concealed, but other than that, in a matter of life vs death, gun go boom, job done. I've looked at several "smaller" handguns for personal defense, and I realize it's a matter of preference, but am curious what others choose to use.

Thanks!

2. Texanbybirth

Texanbybirth New Member

I like my P85 at home for the capacity and accuracy, but I carry a Kahr CW9. It's also 1/2 the weight.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. crackshot

crackshot New Member

Wow, I like the look of that Kahr. Accurate?

4. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

I sometimes carry full size semiautos. I'm not very fond of compacts and subcompacts, so all my carry pistols are full size. When I need something smaller, I'll go for one of my snubbies.

It takes some work to carry them comfortably, besides a good holster you need a good belt.

5. canebrake

canebrake New Member

+1 on the belt Francisco! [​IMG]

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Have, at times, carried a 4 inch 357, and a 1911A1. However, my badge is in a glasss case on the wall with some sleeve patches, and I generally carry a 2" S&W now. Smaller, lighter. Will carry a Browning Hi-Power at times. Requires jacket or OWB shirt.

If you are using a belt holster, the good belt mentioned is a MUST- to keep holster where it should be.

7. Bigguns911

Bigguns911 New Member

I carry a Glock 21 when I want full size. When I want smaller i carry a 38SPL +P revolver. Glock 21 on the belt 38 on the ankle or belt.

8. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

I carry a 4" XD 9 in an Uncle Mikes' IWB almost exclusively, and I'm a landscaper.

9. WDB

WDB New Member

I have a few of the Ruger P serries. Not easiest for consealed carry but have to say I carry a S&W M&P 45 or FNP-40 almost all the time, they weighs less than a Rugger P series but about the same size. I like a full gun in my hand in my time of need. I have been looking hard at getting a snub nose 357 for warmer weather. Rugger make the best option IMO Ruger LCR. The sub compact semiauto's while carry well don't fit my hand well and in a time of need not something I want to adjust to.

10. Panther

Panther New Member

Hi Crackshot, Don't know how Tex's CW shoots but My PM9 is as accurate as my FNP9 up to 7 yards (standard ccw distance) and My FNP9 is the most accurate 9mm I've shot including my friends Ruger 95, Glock and Taurus.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

11. WDB

WDB New Member

I don't own a FNP9 but do own a FNP40 and also own a Ruger P94 in 40 S&W. The Ruger is a better shot by a bit. I carry ther FNP due to weight but carry the M&P 45 more often.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 1, 2009
  12. Panther

Panther New Member

FNP9 is a bit more accurate than the .40
    Also different shooters shoot differently
    :)

13. crackshot

crackshot New Member

Awesome

Thanks everyone for the responses. My friend from work asked me why I was getting a subcompact. When I said the 9mm seemed a little bulky, he said, "You don't want a handgun that's comfortable, you want one that's comforting".

Lots of wisdom there. I think I'll stick with my 9mm, for now.

Though I must admit, I'm addicted, and have subscribed to lots of handgun catalogs. :)

14. Westy

Westy New Member

I recently bought a Ruger SR9 for my CC, and so far it's been a great gun. It the slimmest full size for CC or so I'm told. I've put 500 rounds through it and haven't had problem 1.

15. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I agree with a good belt and a good holster. In winter clothing I can hide a 4" XD45 without problem. I had an XD sub compact that was easier to hide but I can make either disappear. You might have to work a little harder to do it but you can.