Question about Mossberg 500 Fore-end Sloppiness

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by knfxda, Aug 14, 2011.

1. knfxda

knfxda New Member

I have a serious quandry about the sloppiness (rattle) of the fore-end of the Mossberg 500.

*My question is: since it is universally accepted that the fore-end is sloppy and it is one of the main things that ppl point to in objection of the 500, why doesn't Mossberg just fix this?

Given mass production/economies of scale, let's just say that it costs them $5/gun to clean-up the "looseness" of the pump. That would seem like money well spent for Mossberg, given that it is one of the main knocks on their shotgun.

Seems really odd to me. Unless there is a reason for their fore-end being that way that I am unaware of.

Oh, and not trying to start a debate, I just chose the 500, but this was one of my personal knocks on the 500 when debating on whether or not to get it.
    http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/12g-hog-home-more-46729/index2.html#post562909

I'm not trying to stir up 870 vs 500 debate. I know what the 500 is. This really is about why Mossberg hasn't/won't/can't address this.

:D

2. Jake15

Jake15 New Member

My mossberg and every other one I've handled has a forend that rattles, but I don't think its sloppiness, I don't even think it could be fixed easily while still being able to work the action smoothly and easily, its just loose tolerances that allow easy cycling, and I don't mind it all that much.

3. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Do you remember new Coke? My point is that the Mossy 500 is extremely popular, almost iconic, and enjoys a huge parts, add-ons, and upgrade aftermarket. What happens if the fix renders the improved gun incompatible with all those parts? The $5 fix may kill the market for that model since it is no longer "the standard" against which all others are measured. Just my .02.

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

my 590A1 rattles but i never thought about it. doesnt seem to affect anything. locks up tight and the acion feels like its sliding on butter.

the few times ive used 870s it always felt like the gun was fighting me. the smoothness of the 590 is what i prefer even with the rattle.

5. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The nature of pump action shotguns is there must be some tolerance built in to insure functional reliability. If you want a forend that does not rattle, get a semi-auto or if you want less rattle, find a Winchester 1300 or FNP shotgun.

6. falseharmonix

falseharmonix New Member

What they said, plus, if it aint broke, don't fix it.....

7. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Until Mossberg sees it as a problem it will not get "fixed".

As long as people continue to buy them, there's no problem.