Question about lowers...

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by astroman, Nov 8, 2012.

1. astroman

astroman Supporting Member Supporter

Guys, I have read the excellent thread that agent tikki put together and want to begin my AR15 build as fund$ allow. So with that, I have a couple of questions:

What is the deal with some stripped lowers having complete trigger guards and others do not? I assume that the ones without just cost less due to mfg? Is that an area of the lower thats prone to break with heavy use and as a result the mfgrs choose to leave it open? Just wondering.

Second, I am actively looking for a multi-cal lower to purchase ASAP. What are the top 3 or 4 lowers available that are reasonable in price? For example, is the PSA lower for $99 a good deal, or is it a good deal for a "average" lower? I am kicking myself for not getting a couple blemished PSA lowers when they were like $50.... The LGS I called today has a couple of lowers for .308 (mfg CMMG) but they were around $250 and up in price...

Thanks guys!

2. brettc

brettc New Member

I just picked up my stripped PSA lower from my LGS. I also have two stripped spikes waiting to be assembled and just from look and feel they seem pretty close. Can't tell ya how it will perform compared to my spikes though.

3. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

I asked the same thing not to long ago. What I found out is the S&W M&P is about $100-$120 and is among the best.

4. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

The ones with built in trigger guards are usually billet alum instead of forged alum. I love the looks of billet but honestly it provides no functions and costs 2-3X . I use all mil spec forged lowers and they work fine . Billet lowers remind me of a show car forged are your daily drivers ;)
    .308 lower are for the larger caliber stuff .
    AR15 .233/ 5.56 lowers are all milspec capatable and interchangable where not all the. 308 stuff will fit each manufacturers parts. some are proprietary.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  5. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I wouldn't say that one forged lower is better than any other. Pick the roll mark on the side that u like best and go with it . There are only about 6 or so machining facilities that do most of them they just put a different skirt on the same on girl.

6. astroman

Thanks guys- I think I will check out some more LGS to see what they have before making the order online...maybe there will be some deals around here
    (Nashville, TN)

7. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Don't wait on the lower, do it before they get this ban in place. U can thank me later

8. brettc

brettc New Member

Good point

9. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

Yep the lower is the part that is registered. After the ban there is a chance you can still find everything elts but you will not be able to buy a lower.

10. astroman

ok, LGS not too far from here has stripped cmmg lowers multi-cal for $109 in stock. Thinking about heading on over this afternoon to get... anything else I need to consider? I think its a billet piece with complete trigger guard...but not %100 sure...

11. astroman

my bad - just found this - I think this is it - Hard Anodized, Teflon Coated, Forged 7075 T6 Aluminum Lower Receiver - it has no trigger guard included...

12. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

7075 t6 is the preferred aluminum for a lower.

13. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

There's a gun store on the east side, the Rabbi usually has good deals.

14. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Probably not for $109 and I don't think cmmg does billet anyway . Billet usually run $175+

15. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

One benefit.....if you can call it that....to not having an integrated trigger guard is being able use thick winter gloves when shooting.

Push the detent in on a standard trigger guard and let it hang. Throw on some big warm winter gloves on, and commence firing.

In truth, its not really a big thing. If its soo cold that I have to wear gloves to go shoot, I'll probably be inside, by the fire, nursing a hot toddy.

Some billet lower producers offer winter integrated trigger guards with enlarged trigger "pockets" (not sure the term for the area around the trigger bow) for shooters with elephantiasis of the finger or gloved fingers. Some aftermarket companies offer bolt on winter trigger guards for standard forged lowers.

Just another thing we can customize!

16. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Buy buy buy!!. Buy some New Frontier Poly lowers too.. for investment :( It's only $45. :)

17. astroman

Dammit! Went to the LGS (its Guns and Leather in Hendersonville, TN) and they were sold out.:( Looks like I need to call ahead and get them to hold one for me if possible or buy one or more elsewhere. They also carry Spike lowers in addition to CMMG... when they have them...

18. G23LCPK45

G23LCPK45 New Member

image-1412133980.jpg

Why not get a PSA metal lower for a few dollars more.

19. G23LCPK45

G23LCPK45 New Member

20. astroman

Was looking at them, but they are sold out - at least earlier today they were. I also need to let LGS know to expect incoming pkg. Now I am looking at the Frontier Arms Poly lowers - they are cheap! I think I will buy a couple of them, and then as soon as i can get my hands on PSA, I will get that too.:)