Question about body armor material

Discussion in 'Firearm Accessories & Gear' started by Mount_Sannine, Sep 2, 2010.

1. Mount_Sannine

Mount_Sannine New Member

Hello everyone,
    I saw an armor that has two pouches, one on the front and one on the back side.
    In those pouches is inserted a plate-like, FOAM-like material, 5 millimeters thick aprox.
    The foam has a grey color and if you press on it with your finger nail you can deform it a bit.
    I was told that it was level 3, and when I explained what a level 3 can do, the owner of the armor was not sure anymore of the efficiency of his gear...
    Does this stuff work in your opinion? Is there a foam like material used for armors? Thanks a lot.

2. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The foam is almost assuradely NOT ballistic material (will not stop projectiles). It is likely just filler for a MOLLE type carrier. Is there any Kevlar like material in it? It may simply be a carrier for hard plates and have ZERO ballistic rating. Some vests use kevlar type material AND hard plates. Some use just hard plates.

IF it is a true level III vest, it will stop pretty much any handgun round and some rifles. Level III hard plates are rated to stop non-AP rifles. Level IV will stop the AP ammo.

3. Mount_Sannine

Mount_Sannine New Member

Thanks robocop,
    The armor is made of normal fabric plus the pouches, no hard material in it (I'm guessing that Kevlar is a hard material)
    This is exactly what I told the guy... that the foam is there to be replaced by hard plates!
    I'm not buying...
    Regards

4. jeepcreep927

jeepcreep927 New Member

The ballistic kevlar should be a woven fabric and is soft. The soft panels *should* have labels permanently affixed to them that states the rating i.e. level 1, 2A, 2 3A.

When you get to level 3 and 4 armor, they will be rigid plates made of ceramic, Polyethylene or a ceramic/Polyethylene and are about 1/2" to one inch thick.