Question about a trade?

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by Trez, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Someone wants to trade me a 1942 Walther P38 for my Winchester 1895....

The Walther is missing the front sight and comes with two mags. Whats the Walther worth? How hard would it be to get a replacement sight? (if possible a older one)

How do the old p38's shoot?

What do you guys think?

2. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

3. VitSports6

VitSports6 New Member

I agree, If it were a complete pistol, It would help, But I think the Winchester is a better firearm, Unless you MUST have a P38, Have you had a good look at the P38? What condition is your '95 in?

4. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

5. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Trez,

The P-38s are good shooting pistols but according to the condition of your 85 probably not a good deal at all.
    I have a 1944 P-38 with the Swastikas and Holster with Swastikas that was taken from a German Officer on the Russian front by a Russian Army soldier. Evidently the German Officer just got to the front when he was killed. A friend of mine knew the family and worked in Russia years ago.The Pistol is in 95+ condition and I have been offered $1200 for it from a collector. It does not even have Walther on it since the Germans did not want anything on them to be able to be traced back to a location for a bombing target. P-38 Only! But the normal P-38 Military in good condition is worth $500-$700. A commercial model around $400 in good condition. With parts broken or missing certainly not even close to that! I think you could find a better deal somewhere else depending once again on the condition of your 1985 and certainly the bore condition.
    This is just to give you and idea on the values of the P-38s.

6. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Thanks guys! I guess ill pass..... I was thinking if the two were about equal value, I woulda done it. I dont really want a P38 but thought it could be easier to sell....
    Im just tryin' to hussle up a M1 Garand.... :(

Ive been told by shops and Winchester collectors that they would be selling my '95 for $800-$1000

I seen a awesome IH M-1 on gunbroker that didnt sell, they only wanted $600, it was somewhat of a mixmaster and had a hideous green stock, a friend told me I should contact them and see if the shop would trade....

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  7. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

Have you looked at the Civilian Marksmanship Program to see if they have the M1 Garand you're looking for?

8. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

I wish the CMP had the one in looking for. The only manufacturer I want is the one they dont carry.. :(
    Im dead set on a International Harvester made one, My favorite gun made by my favorite company.. And besides it would be so cool to have a "matching" gun for my Scout!!

Ive started to consider lowering my standards, but either way I gotta sell the '95 first....

9. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

10. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Trez,

How about some good pics of your 1895? I may be able to locate you a Harvester? I have a friend who is a collector of M-1 Garands, M-2 Carbines and Military 1911's What are you looking for in the Harvester? Decent looking good shooter or what? Can promise but will be glad to assist.

11. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

That would be awesome, '03!! Im just looking for a decent shooter, that looks somewhat nice... Would be nice if the bolt and trigger guard were IHC too, but not totally necessary... I dont need a super nice one, I want something I can shoot all the time, and not worry about being "rough" on a collectible one...

I will take some nice pics of the '95 tomorrow...

@firearms, Seen that one but, im not very fond of the short tankers.. Thanks anyways!