Question about a project rifle chamber repair (ishapore 2a1/ enfield no1 mk3*)

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by Rob3bruce, Dec 12, 2018.

1. Rob3bruce

Rob3bruce New Member

Hello all,

I am new to milsurp rifles and decided, in my usual fashion, to jump in over my head. I recently purchased a barreled action for an Ishapore 2A1. It's essentially an Enfield No1 Mk3* chambered in 7.62x51, with a few minor differences (different butt socket design, different sights markings, different nose cap, and of course a different magazine). I had been working about corrosion mitigation since I got it, due to seemingly being stored dry for a couple of years. Nothing major. I was at the local range and happened to find a couple of .308 Winchester brass which I took home to test fit in the chamber just out of curiosity. It was then that I realized that it seems a previous owner had been using the wrong extractor (one for a No4 Mk1 modified to fit a 2A1) and in doing so damaged the extractor notch in the barrel. A small amount of metal is smashed out making the mouth of the chamber out of round.

I will attempt to post a photo later so you can actually see what I mean. Anyway, my question is this:

What would be the best way to fix this problem?

I paid $70 with shipping for the barreled action, so I'm hoping to not have to rebarrel the gun. It would cost less to just buy another and actually look it over thoroughly before the return period is up. I was thinking about very gently and carefully filing away material until a fresh round chambers. The damage is at the back of the chamber where the brass of the case is thickest. I doubt one or two thousandths of an inch would matter that much. I am hoping you fine people can help, or at least tell me that I've got a stupid idea in my head.

Attached Files:

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Seek ye oute a gunsmyth. He may be able to use a tool (a mandrel) to push metal back to where it oughta be. Would not remove any metal (2nd law of gunsmithing- it is far easier to remove metal than to put it back)

hiwall and locutus like this.

3. Rob3bruce

Rob3bruce New Member

Shooter,

Plus ten points for the chuckle you gave me with your first line. I did try the gunsmith at my range, but got discouraged from his abilities when he told me that .308 headspace gauges would work for my gun (though they are very similar they are not the same), he looked a little perplexed when I asked about fitting a new bolt to a rifle, and he said they don't have an hourly shop rate it just "depends on the job". I was going to call a stand alone Smith when I got a chance. I found one online that seemed promising. I didn't think about a mandrel. All the things running through my head had to do with removal i.e. dreamers. I suppose it couldn't hurt to ask.

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Rob- do not think you found a smith. Think you found a parts replacer. There is a difference. I deal with a couple of local smiths- they may not have an "hourly rate"- but each will give me an estimate on the cost of work to be done. Good luck!

5. Rob3bruce

Rob3bruce New Member

That's what I wasthinking, too. Thanks for taking the time for me, Shooter.

6. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Ya got a darned nice old warhorse when ya get it fixed! Enjoy!

7. Rob3bruce

Rob3bruce New Member

That's what I wasthinking, too. Thanks for taking the time for me, Shooter.

8. Rob3bruce

Rob3bruce New Member

Locutus,

That's what I was thinking. A nice 10-12 round bolt gun in a modern caliber. I can't wait to get her running.

9. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard Rob & YES your .308 Win. head space gauges will work for your rifle, works in mine & .308 Win. is about all I use in mine !........
    ENFIELD 2A.JPG Enfield 2A1.JPG

10. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Oh the extractor, the only difference between the .308 & .303 is that the 03 is a little thicker.........
    Enfield No4.JPG

11. Rob3bruce

Rob3bruce New Member

Tom,

Is that the montecarlo stock? I have a butt stock and eventually want it to look milspec, but I'm looking for a fore end in the interim. Also, a reliable place to get a proper 2A1 extractor. I hear numeric is selling no4 mk1 extractors as 2A1 extractors.

12. Rob3bruce

Rob3bruce New Member

So I just got a quote from a proper gunsmith amd it was a starting point of $325. That's almost as much as a whole, and hopefully properly functioning, 2A1. Unless I can get a better quote I'll just attempt the work myself. If I somehow bigger it up right good I'll just spend the money for a new rifle.

13. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Well, doing is how you learn. But I would try to iron the metal back into the correct place. Likely some would still have to be removed but pushing the metal back is by far the best course of action.
    Don't need some special expensive tool. A well polished tapered punch would likely push that metal back into place pretty good.

303tom and Dallas53 like this.
  14. Rob3bruce

Rob3bruce New Member

Hiwall,

Didn't see your post till now and I finished ten minutes ago. I did not use a punch, but some fired brass, a sharpie, and two jeweler's files got me there in 15 or 30 minutes. There is still a little bit of contact, but the brass seats just fine. Now I would be interested in casting the chamber with cerosafe to see exactly what it looks like. In any event it seems to work now and since I don't plan on doing any reloading any time soon I don't care if the brass is damaged, as long as it doesn't Glock in my face. First mag will probably be fired at arm's length just to be sure.

Dallas53 likes this.
  15. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Be careful.
    Really inspect the area where metal was removed after first shot.
    Removal could have created a weak area that swaging may have kept.

16. Rob3bruce

Rob3bruce New Member

Dan,

I removed maybe a tenth of an inch of steel, and while I do appreciate that we are talking about very momentary pressure spikes of around 50,000 psi, I do not think I have effected the integrity of the weapon. The proof pressure is 120% of that. While I will fire the first few rounds carefully and inspect the brass for bulging I am confident that i did no damage to the rifle. And if i did the in the words of Easy-E:

"I'll throw it in the gutter and go buy another."

danf_fl likes this.