Question about a possible federal law.

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by mahou_okami, Aug 22, 2012.

1. mahou_okami

mahou_okami New Member

Last night my cousin mentioned that its a federal law to have a hunting permit in order t buy a handgun. This was odd considering I just bought my first handgun a couple of months ago and have never had a hunting liscense in my life. I got online and read what I could considering my internet access is limited on my phone and have yet to find anything either supporting or denying his claim. I was wondering if anyone out there knew for sure whether or not this was true.

2. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Be the first I've heard about it. I haven't had a hunting permit in a while and I've bought quite a few handguns and long guns since then. Me thinks your friend is corn-fuzed or maybe there's some local type law?

3. mahou_okami

mahou_okami New Member

A local law is my assumption. I've got a friend living with me who's feom Virginia and she said that's how it is up there. I just wanted to make sure there won't any laws that had passed since I bought mine that I wasn't aware of. It seems like a stupid thing to me to make a law requiring a hunting permit for a handgun. I MIGHT be able to see it for rifles/shotguns, cause that's what is primarily used during hunting (at least what I know of it as I've never hunted).

4. cvia

cvia New Member

I live Va no permits of any kind need to buy a handgun or rifle. If you have a hunting license though it can count as enough training for you to apply for a conceal carry permit.

5. mahou_okami

mahou_okami New Member

I guess she was mistaken on the VA law. I know here the only permit needed is a purchase permit for a handgun. Long guns need no permit, just the ATF form. As for the ccp, we still got to take the class for it permit or no. I actually took and passed mine not long after I turned 18. Just gotta get the money to go get it.

6. vincent

vincent New Member

Click on your state and see what it says...never heard of the hunting permit thing either...

They keep this site updated pretty regularly...:cool:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

7. trip286

trip286 New Member

FEDERAL means country wide. Your cousin is misinformed.

I had an argument with a young man in one of my college classes. He tried to claim that you must have a state issued permit to buy a handgun in Mississippi. Of course, it was his "friend who's been a cop for twenty years" who told him. I invited him, after being unable to convince him, to come with me to the law library (every library in the state that receives even a penny of state funding gets a complete state law collection), or to come with me to a local dealer and investigate the matter. He refused to be swayed. Some people can't be helped.

I think your cousin is just confused though.

8. mahou_okami

mahou_okami New Member

Thanks for the link vincent. I'll have to check it out later since my phones internet is being a pos and not letting it load after I click on my state.

9. gvw3

gvw3 New Member

Your cousin is wrong.

10. mahou_okami

mahou_okami New Member

He heard it from his brother who although is quite knowledgable sometimes, still has the chance of being misinformed like the rest of us. He took it well when I told him I hadn't heard of any such law so I don't think he's going to keep believing it as truth.

Oh and thank each of you for your imputs. This was something that had me quite confused.

11. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

huh, second amendment isn't about hunting.
    My state has some great laws for gunowners, these were put into the consitution long before the liberals took over this great state.

Gun purchases are straight forward, cpp is a 'shall issue'.

Sorry about your loss of freedoms. perhaps they can be regained after a future ele ction.

12. USEBOTHHANDS

USEBOTHHANDS New Member

he apparently misunderstood his friend, or was told "something along the lines" of the truth, or was just being a douche.

the truth is: a "carry permit" is needed to OC in the state, and a CCW is required to CC in the state.

my hometown is 20 miles from the MS River bridge that separates MS from LA, and i travel it almost everyday. i received my information from a MS state trooper and a local leo of MS.

you can ask your local leos, call your local state police, or speak with a local attorney about any issue you have with your state's gun laws.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2012
  13. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

Only need supplemental I.D. if you are; a resident alien, non resident alien, alien in the U.S. on a work order, or active military buying in home state but living in issued state. There may be a few others as well, I have to learn these before I can start selling. lol

14. trip286

trip286 New Member

Bothhands, this guy was just a tool. He knew full well the difference between a permit to buy (as some states have), and a concealed carry permit, as he demonstrated this through further discussion. He claimed to have actually seen a Mississippi issued permit to buy, and a recent one at that.

Now, I'm actually a Mississippi boy, having been raised there myself and only just recently moved to Louisiana. You and I both know that no such thing exists. Maybe black people had to have a permit to buy at one point in Mississippi's history, but I know that's not the case now.

And FWIW, I NEVER take the word of a LEO on laws, as they can be just as mistaken as anyone else. Just an example, upon moving here, my sister's neighbor, who is a cop (city code enforcement) , told me that Louisiana is an open carry state. I asked him to please point me in the right direction to find the laws and read it for myself. Upon further investigation, I was actually able to tell him something he didn't know : not only is Louisiana an open carry state, but open carry of a handgun is allowed at the age of 17.

The Mississippi law libraries are the way to go. They're free, common, and open to the public. The books are actually easier to use than any website I've found on Mississippi laws.

And they only issue the concealed carry permit. I don't know if that was a typo, mistake, or what. Basically, a concealed carry permit is needed whether it's concealed or not in Mississippi (unless it's changed that much since this past March and I managed to not hear about it). However, with their vehicle carry laws and transport laws, a CC permit is really just a formality.

15. mahou_okami

mahou_okami New Member

Not trying to start an argument here but I would like to ask who you're refering to as a tool sir. If you're refering to me I'd like some clarification as to why? Yes I do know the difference between a purchase permit and a concealed carry permit. While they may not have purchase permits in Mississipi, they are required for a handgun purchase in North Carolina which I just reread my posts and realized I accidentally neglected to put my own home state in. So not only have I seen a purchase permit, I have used and still own one. The main issue and topic of this conversation however was not about purchase or carry permits, but about hunting permits, or liscensing would probably be the more appropriate word.

16. PrimePorkchop

PrimePorkchop New Member

beat me to it :D

trip is correct...your friend reminds me of a friend of mine...they don't REALLY know what they're talking about, but they like to pretend so anyways :rolleyes:

17. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

(Ahem!) There is ONE little known provision in Federal law- it relates ONLY to a non-resident alien purchasing a firearm.

In Virginia, a US citizen may buy a firearm- there is no permit required.
    A Resident Alien (has a Green Card, right to live here forever) can buy a firearm.

A NON-RESIDENT ALIEN (such as someone in the US on a Student or Tourist Visa) may NOT buy a firearm- except under certain circumstances. ONE of those circumstances is that they have a hunting license, and are buying a hunting weapon.

If you are not a resident alien, VA requires only that you have two forms of ID that show your address, can pass a background check, and have the money. There IS a requirement in VA STATE law to show you are a citizen or Resident Alien to buy certain "Assault Weapons" defined in state law.

Title 18, US Code, 922 (y)(2)

(y) Provisions Relating to Aliens Admitted Under Nonimmigrant Visas.— (1) Definitions.— In this subsection—
    (A) the term “alien” has the same meaning as in section 101(a)(3) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1101 (a)(3)); and
    (B) the term “nonimmigrant visa” has the same meaning as in section 101(a)(26) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1101 (a)(26)).
    (2) Exceptions.— Subsections (d)(5)(B), (g)(5)(B), and (s)(3)(B)(v)(II) do not apply to any alien who has been lawfully admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa, if that alien is—
    (A) admitted to the United States for lawful hunting or sporting purposes or is in possession of a hunting license or permit lawfully issued in the United States;
    (B) an official representative of a foreign government who is—
    (i) accredited to the United States Government or the Government’s mission to an international organization having its headquarters in the United States; or
    (ii) en route to or from another country to which that alien is accredited;
    (C) an official of a foreign government or a distinguished foreign visitor who has been so designated by the Department of State; or
    (D) a foreign law enforcement officer of a friendly foreign government entering the United States on official law enforcement business.

18. trip286

trip286 New Member

mahou okamI, cool your jets and read back through the conversation I was having with USEBOTHHANDS. I was speaking solely of a douche I went to college with.

I'm actually fairly familiar with NC laws too, having been stationed there for four years.

19. mahou_okami

mahou_okami New Member

I saw the conversation trip286. I will admit to a misunderstanding as to who you were talking about and I do appologize for that. I wasn't getting riled up, simply trying to clear up a misunderstanding which I know now I had misread and again I appologize.

PrimePorkchop: I know how that is. I have a friend myself who is the same way.

20. TDS92A

TDS92A New Member Supporter

I was going to get a hunting license once, but there were none for hunting liberals so I opted out.:D

Sorry folks. I saw a chance to put out a tired joke and could not resist.:rolleyes: