Question about a drug house

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by hawkster, Feb 13, 2009.

1. hawkster

hawkster Guest

I guess this question is for the law enforcement people here or those that know the law.

If there was a drug house in TN in a neighborhood and the police made a bust that did NOT put all people in the house in jail what happens to the house? Assume that the house still has another 6 months on their rent to go. Can they be evicted? If they do come back to the residence what can we (myself and the neighbors) do to get them out? Discount the landlord, he does not care. So what can we do to force them out of the neighborhood?

This is all hypothetical of course;)

2. orangello

orangello New Member

I'm not a cop, so grain of salt.

When i lived in Memphis, TN, there was a law that landlords could not rent to known drug users, much less dealers. It is my understanding that this type of law is VERY common. If the people still living there have been convicted, i'd bet your local PD could force/strongly encourage the landlord to evict them.

That said, i hope it wasn't some old guy selling dime bags of weed; those types seem fairly harmless to me (of course, i'm a renter).

3. ScottG

ScottG Active Member

The landlord has to care, he's the one liable as the owner. Hypothetically, a burned down house doesn't make a good druggie hangout. Who knows what kind of things go on inside one. They might accidentally leave a burner on, or have a cigarette in bed, or....

4. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Anyone gonna even touch that one? :eek:

I will, if I hafta. :cool:

5. mpd8488

mpd8488 New Member

Well if the other residents do not create problems in the community or otherwise lower the property values of the neighborhood, why not simply live and let live?

6. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Step 1 achieved.

7. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Let us tread carefully please, this is not a thread that I want to have to close because we have to police ourselves. We have hundreds of "visitors" a day that are not members, please do not give any ammunition to the Left in an effort to Talk the Talk. :(

Hawkster - In the interest of your question, I am going to give the benefit of the doubt that in this "story of hypothetical" that the good neighbors feel that the "residents" in question "walk like a duck, quack like a duck and look like a duck, so they probably aren't giraffees".

Having said that, a lot of police departments have seizure programs that actually fund their anti-drug and anti-crime task forces. If the residence in question "is indeed" a drug lab, or a common distribution center, a D/A looking to make a name for s/he self MIGHT be very inclined to listen to some concerned citizens. Especially if you have any elections looming.

Having said that, I would like to hear from Robocop10mm and a few other recent retirees on the subject without any of us stupid civvies stepping on their path of excellence.

Thank you Gentlemen....

JD

8. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

If the owner/landlord does not seem to care you have some options. Try to obtain as many details about the bust. Who was arrested, what kind of dope was siezed, other illegal issues such as unlawful firearms and children present. Try to find out who is actually on the lease. Were they present?

Contact an attorney to draft a letter on your behalf to the owner/landlord demanding the people be evicted or legal action will be taken against him for any future harm done by these miscreants. Give him a set amount of time (generally 10 days) to take the action. Send the letter certified mail, return receipt requested. Even if he does not accept the letter, the fact that he refused to accept or failed to pick it up is the same as receiving the letter.

He now has official notice of the problem and has lost "plausible deniability". If he has any sense whatsoever, he will CYA and get them out.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  9. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Thanks for stopping by Robo and giving some great advice.

JD

10. WDB

WDB New Member

+1 on Robocops suggestion.

The other thing you and neighbors can do is be proactive. If there is a lot of trafic in and out of the house and it seems suspect, you can call the local PD and request them to check it out. Also report suspect people or cars, loud music, illeagly parked cars. In most cases that will get a police cruiser to at least make a pass by the house when they can. If the PD gets enough calls the patrol of the area will increase and make it a place the drug dealers don't want to be. With that said if all the reports come from one person you won't get much of a response but if the calls come from several neighbors you will see a step up in patrol in your area and the PD will know that there is a issue in the neighborhood and at that house. Police log and track the calls/reports they receive and will respond with reasonable effort depending on the number of calls to a certian address or area.

11. laynejc

laynejc New Member

depending on the privacy laws of TN, you may put up surveillance cameras, I would think that if it catcheds your property it would be fine and if it catches theirs in the background that would just be more evidence for the police

12. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

What WDB said. Be a PITA. Call for every issue, but don't make stuff up. As long as there is a suspicious vehicle parked at that house and you can articulate why you thought is was suspicious, you are justified in calling. Do not make stuff up to get a cop to cruise by. If you want more visible patrols, call and speak to the area commander (usually a Captain) and express your concerns. He/she does not want scumbags in the area either.

13. hawkster

hawkster Guest

Thanks all...and I want to stress that this topic was simply me trying to gain an understanding of what I can do once the situation in my neighborhood is taken care of.

Based on what I am hearing our (my neighbors and myself after reading this and then discussing with them) is to call the police with issues when and if they come back. Secondly what we will do is worg with the police department in making sure they help us with said landlord. In addition we will include the town major as well on the situation. We are assumming that since he is retired law officer it will not sit good with him to have this crap happening in our neighborhood.

For the recored it's not just an old man selling dime bags...IT's a lot worse than that which I will discuss at a leter time hopefully.

Thanks again guys for some good information, I must say in my short time I have been here I am quickly impressed with the maturituy and the knowledge here...Thanks

Tommy

14. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Sit out front with cam corders video taping all that come and go and stay. 24/7 that would need to be a community effort. Druggies don't like that. I would have one or both people on duty CCWing all the time. You are doing nothing wrong.

Or I would just mix up a little of this and a little of that and firebomb that place. All drug users, dealers and manufactures need one thing and one thing only to effing DIE.

15. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Not just the police- but any civil code that is out of place gets a compalint. Grass too high (like 18") ? garbage/ trash? abandoned vehicles? Dogs running loose? Fire/ life safety hazards? There are more depts in city govt than you could believe- Health, Fire, Code Enforcement, etc. and here's the kicker- they have a right to enter property for inspections. Roaches don't like having the lights turned on.

16. David26

David26 New Member

I have seen groups of people in a neighborhood stand outside off drug houses and protest the activities going on inside the home with news cameras present. This makes it a little more difficult to conduct illegal activities out of the residents and will put some pressure on the police department to do something about it. This would have some risk of retaliation from the dealers but if more of us honest people would stand up to these bastards instead of living in fear of them we could do more damage then law enforcement does alone.

Dave

17. AsmelEduardo

AsmelEduardo Active Member

That's my major concern, That's why I consider that the LEO must do their jobs, we're not cops and remeber that you are not in home 24/7 and maybe your family is at risk... don't expose yourself or your family... don't try nothing face to face, call your police dept. and don't play the hero...

18. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

That, Amsel is good advice. Especially in South America.

Did I see on the news here that Chavez is up for re-election? Anyone dumb enough to run against him?

19. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

What if the people the cops left weren't selling drugs? Maybe they weren't the guilty parties. Example of course would be if a guy was selling drugs but his old lady wasn't, he got busted and the cops found no reason to bust her since both parties said she was not involved.

20. AsmelEduardo

AsmelEduardo Active Member

Yeah, in here it's easier move out that try to fight the drug dealers... we have specialized forces to fight narcotrafic (the local state or county police are corrupt or are unable to fight against them)
    Chavez is trying to make a constitutional amendment, he want change the constitution to make him or any in elected by the people (governor, mayor and senators included) can be reelected indefinitely, period after period... :mad: by now the president can be reelected once (like in U.S). If he loses he can't run for president in 2012, there’s neither other communist or soci******t that have a chance against any right wing politician of this country; he knows that and is trying to make anything to stay on command; I'm a little bit scary because a bloodshed. Sadly he fool the people and he still have a lot of supporters, but I've hope that he lose this election, many people, his party comrades included, are against this policy of he becoming a "king" like his friend Fidel Castro of Cuba, who's in command for 50 years... but in here, you never knows... that's why I'm trying to migrate.:rolleyes: