Question about 9mm Para and .380 auto

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by Jelly, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Jelly

Jelly New Member

Hello,

I study Forensic Science in Amsterdam. There is this case that I'm working on that involves two pistols: a Beretta Parabellum 9mm and a Walther PP short.

I understand that the Baretta fires the 9mm Para cartridge and that the Walther fires the .380 auto cartridge.

My question:
    Is it possible to fire a .380 auto cartridge with this Beratta Parabellum 9mm?
    Also, is it possible to fire a 9mm Para cartridge with this Walther PP short?

Thank you!

2. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

No
    and
    No

3. ahole

ahole New Member

Sure its possible!!! pm me for my information so you can will me all your other guns shortly after you try.

4. Boyerracing343

Boyerracing343 New Member Supporter

I highly wouldn't recommend trying it. They may fire but it is far from safe.

Other another note though, please stop by our introductions section and tell us a little more about yourself so we can give you a proper welcoming. :D

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

If the 9mm pistol's extractor will hold the 380 against the bolt face it will fire. It probably wont cycle the action. The 9mm will not fit in the chamber of a 380 handgun. The case is 19mm long the chamber of a 380 is only 17mm deep.

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

As Jon said. Both cartridges headspace (are aligned in firing position) from the case mouth. The .380 comes up short- only if cartridge isheld against the face of the slide by the extractor would it fire in a 9mm Para gun- and that is rather iffy. The 9mm para simply will not fit in the chamber of a .380- it is too long. Unlike .22 short and .22 LR, these two cartridges are generally not interchangeable.

I would note that a .380 (also known as 9mm Kurz or 9mm Corto) generally uses a lighter bullet than the 9mm para. .380 is typically less than 100 grains of bullet weight, 9mm Para typically WELL over 100 grains.

7. Jelly

Jelly New Member

Thank you for all your reply's. This makes it all very clear.

8. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

.380 in 9mm. Possible. As C3 said, if the extractor held it against
    the breechface well enough to allow the firing pin to ignite the primer,
    it would fire. I've seen stranger things--9mm firing in a 40 S&W
    comes to mind.

9mm in a .380. No. It is physically impossible for the 9x19 case to fit
    in the .380 chamber.