Question about .442

Discussion in 'Smith & Wesson Forum' started by poopshoot, Sep 24, 2013.

1. poopshoot

poopshoot New Member

Hello, folks.

I recently purchased my first firearm, and I've been obsessed with them ever since. Not dangerously obsessed, but I'm kind of in love.

I used to be afraid of them; even hate them. But after a close friend threw some scenarios at me, he had me feeling very vulnerable. Mildly helpless. So, I decided to join in on the fun.

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm all about peace and love, but these days..you can't really trust society. And I'll be damned if I'm ever in a situation where gun ownership could have saved mine, or a loved one's (or even a stranger's) life and it wasn't available.

But enough about all of that (GET ON TO THE QUESTION, RIGHT?).

I was a little concerned about my ammo being the slightest bit loose. I've done some research and it appears to be "normal," but I wanna be 100% sure.

I made a video, because I thought it would be easier (I made the video before posting here, so you'll hear some repeated info)-[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aji8OT2rfFA"]youtube link[/ame]

Thanks, guys.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  2. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

are you sure the 442 can handle Buffalo bore ammo? Buff-bores are made to be hotter than a normal cartridge.

3. poopshoot

poopshoot New Member

I've read of other people using them with no problem. So, yes.

Also, Buffalo Bore says they are safe with anything that can shoot .38 SPL +P.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  4. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

then as long as when all 5 shells are loaded into the cylinder, and the rims wont get stuck on anything as the cylinder rotates, you are fine.

5. poopshoot

poopshoot New Member

Awesome, thank you. Could anyone else confirm this or add?

6. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

nice 442 btw, I have one as well:
    [​IMG]

7. poopshoot

poopshoot New Member

Ah, why thank you. AND LOOK AT THIS! That comforter is amazing!

Jk (lol). What do you carry in yours, and how did you decide on it?

8. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

JK? So you weren't serious about my comforter? :p

I carry just 38+ps 158 grain lead hollowpoints. Ive used buffalo bore in a 45/70 and thats why I asked if your 442 could handle them, they are known to be a hot load in other calibers.

and I decided on it for the conceal-ability, lightweight, and I don't subscribe to the 'spray and pray' philosophy. So 5 rounds works for me on nights out on the town. In the woods I carry something about a pound heavier though.:D

PS, that is a crappy screen name you have there!

9. poopshoot

poopshoot New Member

Hahaha

Yeah, I went with whatever (on the username), because I only planned on making this one thread and bailing. No offense to you lovely people. Hey, maybe I'll stick around?

I meant what made you decide on the bullets, but yeah..I was looking at different guns at my local shop, and when I held the 442 it just felt right. Like, I was comfortable with it. I don't know. The price helped too. Plus, I plan to carry it concealed, so..

10. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

I reload all my 38 and 357, and these was new in a box and given to me for a Bday present. So they got the vote to use.

11. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

OP, why would you ask one question, and then bail? Surely you have other questions.......even I have more questions.

12. poopshoot

poopshoot New Member

13. poopshoot

poopshoot New Member

I was flossing my teeth and realized the pun with the "crappy name" comment. Wasn't sure if that was intentional or not. I smiled. I may get into reloading in the future..but not now.

I suppose you're right, clr8ter. I'm usually good at finding the answers through others with the same curiosity.
    I guess you could say I like to stay in hiding. You guys are definitely making an impression though, so yeah.

14. magnumman

magnumman New Member

One thing to keep in mind when shooting hot loads in a light gun is that bullets can jump their crimp. When you shoot it, fire 4 and check the last one to make sure that the bullet is still seated to the correct depth. If one backs out far enough, it could lock up your cylinder.

15. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

It was intentional. :p

16. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

magnum,

Makes a good point. But I lend to the philosophy when using a light gun like these for CWW, one should shoot the defense rounds they are going to be carrying just enough to know where they are hitting and how to handle the recoil. And then only fire the defense loads in them should the need arise. Practice and shooting for enhancing skills with the weapon should then be done with lighter loads. These little guys are not built with a steady diet of hot defense loads shot through them. Even a S&W K Frame will in time loosen up with a steady diet of 357 Mags through them! And they are larger frames than these revolvers.

17. magnumman

magnumman New Member

Sniper, I agree with you 100%. I also have a 442. I generally shoot light handloads that I have developed to shoot at the same point of impact as golden sabers at 10 yards. I very rarely shoot even a single SD round out of it. Not only are they hard on the equipment, but also hard on the wallet.

18. jackrich3

jackrich3 Active Member Supporter

I'm contemplating selling my 442 'cause I can't hit squat with it. I've tried staging the trigger, different ammo, two trigger jobs, bigger grips, to no avail. At 7 yards, all over the paper. Think I might look into some of the Charter Arms offerings, like the 44 Bulldog. Also want to try the LCR, I hear it can be pretty accurate, but getting past that plastic pistol thing isn't there, yet

19. magnumman

magnumman New Member

If you cant hit with the 442, I don't know what makes you think another snub will be any better. All snub have crappy sights and short sight radius which is why they are so challenging to master. Also think of the purpose of the gun. Most of the practice that I do with mine involves an 8.5x11 sheet of paper and I don't use the sights. If I can double tap that at 7 yards, I feel that I am doing good.

20. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Maybe one with a hammer so you can fire single action is more your style?