quest for "perfect" 9mm bullets

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by partdeux, Oct 3, 2018.

1. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member Supporter

I settled on Hornady HAP 125gr bullets.

We're shooting enough, and I was looking at buying a BIG box of 3,000 pieces. Well dang, that's $400.

Berry has a 124gr target pistol that looks nearly identical to HAP.

Took them to the range and ran them across the chronograph and a target. HAP had a "slight" advantage due to one low velocity unit. Hand holding (yea I know it doesn't mean much), Berry came in slightly better.

Lesser expensive bullet wins!

There was a local bullet maker that had a SWCFP 9mm, that was great for competing... unfortunately, it was leading up my barrel pretty bad.

2. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

"perfect" does not reside in the real world. Good luck with that!:D

gwpercle likes this.

3. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I have used Berry and Rainier and they are good bullets. Just keep the velocity under 1200 fps.

4. partdeux

I'm shooting (pun intended) for IDPA minimum, 1008+

5. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I usually use South African FMP nowadays. (They make the bullets for Rainier)

Before plated, I used Remington FMJ. Bought them in cases of 2,000. Far less expensive than Hornady FMJ, but every bit as good for range ammo.

1911NUT likes this.
  6. JimRau

Winchester 127 gr +p+, NUMEROUS shooting prove it works VERY WELL, but not 'perfect'!;)

7. Les Moore

Les Moore Well-Known Member

IMO, the S&B 115 grain FMJ are as good as it gets, in 9MM x 19. 9mm is a pretty good
    round, just the way it is. I don't bother with trying to make it into something it isn't.

Oldoutlaw likes this.
  8. noylj

noylj Member

9x19 accuracy?
    Usually, that means a 115gn JHP bullet over a mid-range to near-max range load of Power Pistol, Silhouette, or BE86.
    Specifically, you need to test various bullet weights and powders to see what your gun prefers. In most cases, though, you are just chasing groups of 2-4" at best at 25 yards (and many guns can't consistently do that well). For real precision, you need a really good gunsmith and some money.
    Plated are NOT going to be most accurate.
    You can get great jacketed bullets from Precision Delta and Zero (from Powder Valley) for the same or even less than plated bullets.
    I find that 0.356-0.357" jacketed bullets are USUALLY more accurate than 0.355" jacketed bullets, and lead bullets of 0.357-0.358".

9. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

They are perfect for me if I put 'em in one end and they come out the other.

10. JimRau

Perfect can't be found in the REAL world, but many people try to find it and they ALL fail and can't figure out why!! :rolleyes:

Oldoutlaw likes this.
  11. Oldoutlaw

Oldoutlaw Well-Known Member Supporter

Yep, I see no perfect either. Take where you live for an example. Up here folks wear some pretty darned heavily layered clothing in the Winter. Multiple layers of Carhart, etc. Especially when the temperature is 0 to -30 F.
    Better have a bullet that has penetration.

I settled on the Hornady Critical Duty in 135gr with the FTX bullets. For SD purposes.
    It does what needs to be done if I ever need it to. Those bullets do the same in all of our 9mm Luger pistols. Also use that FTX in our 9x18 Makarov pistols.

Do you need this in the South? No, I think not.

JimRau and locutus like this.
  12. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

13. Les Moore

Les Moore Well-Known Member

Nah, you're right, you don't need that in the South. That's why I moved to the South. Helpful
    neighbors and friends everywhere. I doubt I'll ever be forced to shoot somebody.
    Most my pistols are loaded with rat-shot, for pest control. If push came to shove,
    I'll bet that would really sting.

14. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I use either Berry's or Extreme for IDPA. Both make great bullets for the range.

15. BillM

BillM Well-Known Member Supporter

I shoot USPSA, and we tend to go through a pile of bullets. In jacketed the standard for
    years has been Montana Gold, with Zero also popular. The last few years I'm seeing Precision Delta taking a bigger chunk of the market, and lately Everglades Ammunition is getting increased market share. I've gone through 12,000+ Precision Delta 115 gr JHP's so far this year with no issues at all.
    You say you are going for a minor power factor load----have you looked at coated?
    My go-to minor load for Production and Single Stack minor is a Bayou 147 gr. . Accurate,
    takes .3 gr less powder than a Montana Gold 147. LOTS of companies doing coated--you can even get them in the color of your choice. My wife likes purple--

16. partdeux

Aren't they the same?

17. partdeux

hmmm, bayou has a 150gr swc! I wonder if I can develop a load with 231, or if I need to get a slower powder.