Quentin Defense billet lower is done

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Quentin, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I've had a Quentin Defense US Army Edition billet lower laying around almost a year so when I got a PSA LBK last week it was time to finish it up.

Easiest lower build I've done yet, no roll pins to punch in and no detents placed in orbit. I'm impressed with the PSA kit, great quality and a nice fit in the QD lower. Also this is the best milspec trigger I've felt in quite a while, definitely heavy but no creep and breaks crisp.

Anyway, nothing out of the ordinary, just an easy build. Now for the pics!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nicely flared magwell
    [​IMG]

"Quentin Defense billet stripped lower receiver. ***US ARMY EDITION*** Model number is "US ARMY". Serial numbers all start with USA. CNC machined from a solid billet block of aerospace grade aluminum. Type III class II hard anodized per the mil spec."

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012

2. Quentin

Quentin New Member

3. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Very nice Q , That upper and lower look pretty tight , very little gap , Just as they should be :D

4. Quentin

Quentin New Member

You're right, PH! I should have mentioned that - the QD and PSA receivers are nice tight fit, in fact I wouldn't want it any tighter. The QD lower has a tensioning screw to tighten up the fit if necessary but I didn't need it (so the screw isn't contacting the upper in any way).

5. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I got tired of the M4 stock quick so put on my ACS. Definitely an improvement.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With PSA upper and Lancer mag...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  6. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Q a magpul middy hand guard sure would look nice on there :D . I love my ACS-L , I really like that extra 1" it provides and it just feels best of all my stocks
    What mag is that in the last set of pics ?

LRB lower , PSA LPK , Magpul ACS-L stock, MOE forearm and grip , Spikes BCG , Colt rifle length upper 20" target barrel non CL , Colt carry handle . I have been thinking about putting a scope on this rifle but I kinda like the looks of the carry handle and the durability of the built in sights
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  7. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Yours looks great, PH! I also love MOE handguards and have them on my BCM and DD uppers. I've been keeping this PSA upper stock (well, swapped out the fat M4 ovals for thinner handguards dug out of the closet) but gradually will move to MOE handguards. And MOE+ grip, I can't stand the A2 grip now! I'm getting so I have to have my Magpul fix on any build.

I've thought about the ACS-L but went with my old ACS for now. They give a little of an A2 fixed stock look but of course telescope instead.

The magazine is the Lancer L5AWM Advanced Warfighter Magazine. Polymer body, every bit as good as PMAGs yet lighter and smaller. I like the steel feed lips too. I picked up five over the last couple months and will get more if things let up. They come in various colors and also translucent or opaque. Great reviews out there and I haven't had any issues with them in limited use so far.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/26...r-magazine-ar-15-30-round-polymer-translucent

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  8. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I wasnt real fond of the Colt grey upper on the black lower but Im starting to like it better and its fitting in just fine with the other even being the odd duck :D . I like the magpul stuff , it really can take a beating , doesnt get scratched up and just feels good in my hands . I have seen those mags on midway but never really found much for reviews on them so I never bought any of them . When things cool down I might try to pick up a few of those . I had bought 30 p mags back in Sept. and been sitting on them, selling a few here and there to friends at of course $15 , had I only known . LOL oh well I still have several new but Im hanging on to those for now .

9. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I've always loved the look of the 20" rifle and the MOEs with ACS-L really add to yours. So does the carry handle. Nice rifle! There's just something about a KISS build with a little Magpul added to the right places. To me that's handguards, stock and grip at a minimum.

10. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I really like the looks of the new magpul fixed rifle stock but I didnt want to have to buy another rifle buffer, tube and spring kit along with the stock when I had this one laying around

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  11. ZeusEcho

ZeusEcho Member Lifetime Supporter

Looks good Quentin. I like that Quentin Billet lower!

12. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Quentin,

Very! Very Nice! Looks great! Need to get us a range report with pics.
    And also thank you my brother for your service to our Great Country also. 66-72 here!
    I think that is what is wrong with our government today! All attorneys with Zero Service to their country!

Also HAPPY NEW YEAR!

13. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Thanks Sniper, and thank you for your service, too! Ah, we both joined in 1966, late July for me. Anyway, I agree that military service should be a requirement for gov't jobs once you reach a certain level. Certainly Commander In Chief.

14. suzychapstick

suzychapstick New Member

I have a question here? purehavoc made a comment about a nice fit earlier in this thread. Quentin responded, yea, I wouldn't have wanted it any tighter. I take it you guys were talking about the fit between upper and lower receiver? I'm not sure how purehavoc could see that in a picture, he must really have a trained eye for that or something . But I'd like to know what to look for in an ideal fit. I'm soon going to be putting my rra varmint upper on a lower receiver. I had bought a couple different lowers to choose from. Looking at the way the two receivers mate together, it appears to me, theres nothing for adjustment as far as a fit. Am I right? Also what different things do you look for in a fit? Is there anything you can do to adjust the fit. What happens if the fit is to loose or tight? Whats critical, or what is a problem fit, good, bad, etc, etc. ? thanks

15. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Yeah it's kinda hard to see upper/lower fit in a picture but Havoc pulled it off. If you hold the rifle up to a bright light like the sky or the TV or other light you can see how big the gap is. Or you can feel it by flexing the pinned receivers. Most receivers have no adjustment for fit but since you have multiple lowers you can pin each one to the upper and test for best fit. Or you can drop in a $3 Accuwedge or get a billet lower like the QD that has a tensioning screw.

Really it doesn't matter, a little play is normal and doesn't affect function or accuracy. If the fit is tight it usually loosens up after a few range sessions.

16. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

AHHHHH Yes the trained eye ;)
    When you have seen enough of them with huge gaps you know what a tight fit looks like even at a distance

17. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

Great looking lower!

I actually got in line for a pair of these (the plain QD shield version) on backorder about a month ago.

Looked like a solid billet lower for a fair price, so hopefully they'll end up below a couple builds later this year. But at the time I ordered I think they were closed for the holidays and claiming a 16+wk wait....so I should receive mine sometime between March and 'The End of Time'.

18. whiskeypickles

whiskeypickles New Member

Love the trigger guard, the way it's shaped and milled as part of the receiver.

And THANKS you guys for your service

Viet Nam 1963-1965

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  19. Quentin

Quentin New Member

And thank you for your service too, whiskeypickles!

These lowers are very well finished. Quality throughout.

Besides the US Army edition and standard QD shield version Sweeper mentioned, there are USMC, USN, USAF and Coast Guard editions. When I got mine it was $160 but no doubt the price has gone up recently.