quantity vs. quality - first.

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by deg, Jan 24, 2014.

1. deg

deg Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Got an ammo question for the group.

I am considering starting to buy a small inventory of ammo, nothing outrageous, just a little stash. My thought is quantity then once I get some inventory built I will buy some quality, especially in handgun ammo, typically close range shooting situations anyway. So, I find this Herter’s Select Grade, reasonably priced and I look on the back and it says “Made in Czech Republic”. What are some thoughts on this ammo brand and similar “Made in….” brands; and additionally, my quantity before quality theory for a general inventory?

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

I roll my own for the most part.

Quantity is better for pistol if its decent quality. You shouldn't sacrifice one for the other. My definition is does it go boom everytime?? I don't buy remington because of their spotty qc issues as an example.

3. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

...Define....outrageous....:)

Anyway...If you're buying ammo just make sure your gun(s) like it. Meaning it cycles and gets where it's supposed to after it leaves your gun.
    If it works OK then buy it up.
    and I don't care what anyone thinks or says, you never have too much ammo.:D

4. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

If you are thinking of stockpiling ammo you should reload. You could get set up with everything you need to reload several pistol calibers without breaking the bank. Then you would have ammo then there is none on the store shelves. I heard everyone talking about ammo shortages. But I was not affected at all. I was at the range every week or every other week. I was often the only one there.

5. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

You have heard the adage, Give a man a fish and he will have a meal. Teach a man to fish and he can feed himself forever.:) Same thing teach a man to reload and he will always have some ammo. Learn to cast your own bullets and you are even more independent. Learn to swage jacketed bullets and you can make effective rifle ammunition. :)

6. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

For .22 LR I would highly recommend that you find out what your guns "like". There are vast differences in how well the "best" brands will work in each particular gun, even two guns of the same make and model will "like" different brands, or even different offerings within the same brand name. Sometimes you will find a couple of brands that work well in your gun. Then, (if you can find it) buy as much as you can afford up to a few thousand rounds, and then maintain a minimum stock of each preferred brand for each gun. (hopefully your guns will like the cheap stuff that is available in bulk!)

To a certain extent the above is true of centerfire rifles as well, but rolling your own will almost always produce the greatest accuracy (sometimes by a wide margin). Find what your CF rifles "like", and buy some of that for situations like we had over the past year where ammo supplies dried up. Surplus Military ammo is always a safe bet for those calibers.

Pistol calibers? Pretty much anything that cycles your guns and goes downrange. Again, better performance is going to be achieved by rolling your own though.