Qualtity Scope

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by Jacob12321, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Jacob12321

Jacob12321 New Member

Whats the number 1 best Scope I can get for my 30-06 that would be in the $100-$200 range?

towboater likes this.
  2. gr8fuldoug

gr8fuldoug Well-Known Member Sponsor

Please feel free to call me or Neil, 516-217-1000, so we can discuss options with you

godale and towboater like this.

3. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

Lots out there in that price range. None of them will be awesome, great scopes, but many of them will last you years and get the job done.

Shopfox likes this.
  4. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

Jacob,No offense,But you won't get much of a scope for under $350. The recoil of the 30-06 will shake loose most cheap scopes if it is shot much.

Travis299, headspace and locutus like this.
  5. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Gotta agree with TX. You won't get much for less than $350-$400.

Travis299 likes this.
  6. Triumphman

Triumphman Well-Known Member

You might try looking on Ebay or other places and get a much better, used scope for less money. I found a very good, older Nikon Buckmasters 3-9x40 scope for $90 at my local gun, liquor, archery store for my 30-06 back in 2007. I had a choice between a Swift Premier, this Nikon and a Pentax and all were 3-9's. I think I did the right choice. Don't look at how new the scope may be as there's people out there still purchasing old Japanese Tasco's for $10-$20 and putting them on everything. I've even looked through boxes to try and find old Tasco's, Weaver, Redfield, Swift and Jason scopes. Other than the El Paso Weaver and Colorado Redfield's, all these were made in Japan back in 60-70's when even the so-called cheap scopes were made with quality.

7. Shopfox

Shopfox Well-Known Member Supporter

You can buy $100 Cabela's gift cards for $82 on eBay. Get one of those.
    I don't like BDC reticles, but for $99 ($82 with gift card), you can get this:
    https://gun.deals/product/new-nikon-3-9x40-bdc-riflescope-8999

If you can go closer to the $200 mark, this is $149 ($82 Gift card + $49 cash = $131) and would be my choice over the Nikon (I own both Nikon, Vortex, and others). https://gun.deals/product/vortex-diamondback-35-10x50-v-plex-reticle-14999

With the money you "saved", buy a good set of scope rings. Something along the line of Warne.

I'm not crazy about 50mm scopes. I have them and prefer smaller. That said, I'd be willing to make that tradeoff to get the Vortex and a good set of rings, and stay in budget.

8. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

That Leupold I recommended in your last thread is one of the best values out there at $240. Optics Planet frequently has 10% off coupons which would help. That said, if you are really on tight budget CDNN has Bushnell Trophy XLT scopes on close out cheap. They are not in the same class as Leupold but might carry you over until you can afford better. Shipping is $10.
    https://www.cdnnsports.com/optics.html#category_2=OPTICS/SCOPES&manufacturer=BUSHNELL
    I have several of the 1.75-4X32 circle X shotgun scopes but they are used on intermediate power rifles or rim fires not high power. I run a 1-4x24 30mm XLT on an AR. I paid more than the price you will see on the link. Kind of ticks me off.

9. PaBushMan

PaBushMan Well-Known Member

The one that came with my 30.06 has been serving me well. And its over 10 years old.

10. Imurhuckleberry

Imurhuckleberry Well-Known Member

Try the sample list on the following link. They sell used scopes where you could get a reliable one at the price point you want. In my opinion you should wait a few months and save up until you have at a minimum between $250 and $350 scope that can handle the recoil.

https://swfa.com/optics/riflescopes.html

dmeservey likes this.
  11. Danoobie

Danoobie Well-Known Member

When folks spend hundreds on a gun,
    then cheap out on the scope,
    they must be shooting just for fun
    if their optic cannot cope.
    When a dog goes and chases his tail, it is fully comic.
    But when a hunter chases his tail, it's not economic.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  12. Shopfox

Shopfox Well-Known Member Supporter

It might be a $200 brand new rifle (iirc Thompson Compasses were about 212 after rebate at christmas...) It's hard to justify putting a $500 scope on a TC Compass, or similar.

Not everyone has a great cashflow situation. Saying, "wait till you have $400 for a scope" is a pipedream. That $100-$200 available for a scope now, may not be available next week or next month if the OP is really strapped for cash.

In college, I had a Ruger M77 .308 with a Tasco world class scope on it. Had that scope broken at that point in life, the money simply wasnt there for a "good" scope.

If he can wait and buy a "good" scope fine - he should do it! If not, and he's stuck at the $100-$200 level, there are serviceable scopes in that price range that will get him by for now.

A Leupold VX-1 would be another consideration in the OP's price range.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
    godale, primer1, Dallas53 and 3 others like this.
  13. Greg_r

Greg_r Well-Known Member

Before the great fire of '99, all my scopes were Weaver or Redfield. The old models.

Since the fire I rebuilt my hunting rifles on the cheap. Handi Rifles and Simmons scopes mostly. Still shooting a Handi Rifle in 223 and 280 with Simmons scopes, never had any issues with them. Put a Simmons ProDiamond on my 300 BLK Handi Rifle. Like it too.

All my AR's sport the Nikon P series or the Vortex. They are among my favorites.

I have a 45/70 Handi that ate a Nikon and a Pine Ridge in short order. I was advised to put a Centerpoint on it, I did, and it has been there for years. Can't remember what I paid for it but it was well under $100. It's been a good one.

Dallas53 and towboater like this.
  14. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

I have had a $200.00 Nikon Buckmaster on my '06 for about 20 years. It still works great and I feel it was a fine bargain.

towboater likes this.
  15. JTJ

At one time Simmons made good scopes. Not the case anymore. I will take a VX2 Leupold for $200 over a VX1 any day. A 3-9X40 Nikon Buckmasters 2 is $130 with free shipping at Optics Planet.

towboater likes this.
  16. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I agree with Shopfox. Sometimes folks have what money they have. I too owned a Ruger 77 in college. For five years until I graduated, and paid off my school loans, it carried a Western Auto, house brand scope made in Japan. Cost all of $40 on sale, and that was a stretch for my budget at that time. Finally upgraded to a used fixed 8-power Weaver K-856, the last model made in ElPaso, that I bought off a table at a gun show, for $150. I really like that old Weaver, and one of my Rifles still wears it. The cheap Western Auto, now graces the 10/22 I gave the stepson, for his twelfth birthday, 15-years ago.

Both of those scopes filled my deer tag every year, for about fifteen years.

Dallas53 and towboater like this.
  17. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member Supporter

at $100 or less, i would be doubtful of a scope being worth the money. especially on a 30-06. not the hardest recoiling rifle, but still it has some decent recoil. even $200 is what i would consider at the lowest minimum of being able to buy a decent scope. upping the budget to $250 to $300 would give you more options for a decent quality scope.

18. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

It appears to me that Nikon began applying the name "Buckmaster" to lesser expensive scopes sometime in the last decade or two. The older "Buckmaster" was a good $200.00 scope when I bought it at a discount chain store.

SRK97 likes this.
  19. JTJ

Changes in mfg have led to cost savings and better quality in most cases. A $200 scope today is probably better than a $200 scope from 20 years ago. Computerized processes are much more precise today. CNC machines now routinely crank out parts at tolerances that were impossible to acheive in mass production a few decades ago. I look at cheap hunting rifles available today and the accuracy levels are amazing. I remember having to "tune" a rifle to get to 1 MOA. Now it is commonplace.

jigs-n-fixture and Shopfox like this.