Quality and Economical Barrel Sources

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by diggsbakes, Dec 28, 2010.

1. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Hey fellow builders! I thought we could do a little source sharing in the barrel department.

We all know that a good barrel is a big part of a good rifle and I've decided to go with an upper tier barrel on my next build, well on one of my currents :). . . Which is somewhat ironic, because a majority of the parts that will be on/in this rifle were bought "blemished", clearance, etc. So I'm running really low on my budget.

JD turned me on to these folks:

White Oak Armament

I believe I will be going with a 16"-18" assembly and will be sending my upper off to them for installation.

So. . .

What's your favorite barrel source???

2. VitSports6

VitSports6 New Member

I'm getting a parts list for my first build, So I am very interested in this thread.
    FWIW, We are doing a group budget build with our local group.

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

if you get a line on 20" thin govt profile 1:12 twist 5.56/.223 barrels let me know.

4. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I like WOA and AR15Performance

5. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Go on . . . .

6. Squirrel_Slayer

Squirrel_Slayer New Member

J and T Distributing, they sell ER Shaw and Wilson Combat barrels, whatever flavor you want. Good prices too, haven't found better yet. And they will port, flute, do whatever you want to them for a little extra charge.

7. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Right on. Thanks Squirrel! Definitely a +1. I just sent White Oak Arament an e-mail with my flavor request. . . an 18", Rifle length gas, w/ picatinny block. We'll see what they come up with.

8. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I purchased a WOA barrel from Rainier Arms for $279. It was very accurate.

9. rhevans

rhevans New Member

Midway has a DD 16", 1x7, chrome lined, carbine length for $170.00. I have 2.

Most users report the gas port needs to be slightly enlarged to .063". Easy to do with a 1/16" drill bit.

10. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Is it CHF?

11. rhevans

rhevans New Member

No. And Midway now lists it at $191.

12. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

For $30 more you can get a DD CHF if that your preference.

13. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Green Mountain - Worth a Bump. . . or 2

So. . . around the range and the shop I've been hearing a variety of many shooters (not just average gun buyers/builders) singing praises about their satisfaction with this outfit.

Their website, which I have just begun to explore seems to be directed towards providing barrel replacements to ALL military weapons, not just the AR end (which I love!).

Also, one gentleman I spoke to after he used this outfit for the first time said that they offer much more than what you see on the site. He was able to find a 1/12 pencil barrel (that wasn't listed at the time) for a clone he was working on.

Their prices are great and you'll definitely see one of these on my next upper. :)

14. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

They put alot of the barrels on AK builds for Century Arms.

15. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

OK. . . . ? I guess I don't know where that came from? Just a "fact of the day". :) Cool.

+1 for Green Mountain for helping bring AKs and other Military Rifles to the American people!

16. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

You asked about GreenMountain and I gave you the only info Ive ever known about them. Honestly I though thats all they did. I believe they use GreenMountain barrels on GP1975 AKs. From my research the GPs seem to be more accurate than the Yugos. I forget the group measurements but they werent bad.

Now that I read your post again you werent asking, you were giving GM a +1 maybe +2. See what happens when you post right before a 7am class?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
  17. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

No worries. I'll post up when I put one of their barrels on an upper. I've got a few uppers and have a Del-Ton 16" dissipator barrel, DPMS 16" carbine and soon to order from Green Mountain.

I bet they'll be a perfect fit for the type of upper I need. . . a mountain/truck/back-up/loaner/first-on-the-chopping-block - upper.