Quality accurate .22 rifle?

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by ArmyGuy, Jan 1, 2012.

1. ArmyGuy

ArmyGuy New Member

I'm looking for a good quality accurate .22 rifle that I can take to the range and just have fun with. The rifle/scope combo I currently have isn't that accurate. I would prefer a semi-auto, but it's not necessary. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. downsouth

downsouth New Member

Ruger 10/22 you did not mention a price, so get the stainess bull barrel target model.

3. ArmyGuy

ArmyGuy New Member

The price would probably be around $500 give or take a hundred.

4. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

I picked up last March Ruger SR-22 for around $500. Love it, just like my S&W MP 15-22.

5. rsfrid

rsfrid New Member

I agree on the 10/22. I have a Mueller 4.5-14x40 APV on mine, and the combination is less than $500.

6. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

Buy 5 pawnshop Marlin 60's (pre-2005 are best) for $500 and take the whole family!

Use CCI minimags or Blazer ammo for best results.

Or get 5 new Marlin 795's from any sporting goods store for $99-129,
    then send in the $25 Marlin rebate on each one to bring it back to $500 :)

Either way, lotsa fun :)

And they're pimpable...check these three out!
    Ramline stock
    [​IMG]

Well P-90 stock
    [​IMG]

Muzzlelite Bullpup stock
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  7. northhike

northhike New Member

I am a big fan of Marlins. Their bolt action large barrel guns are very accurate, fun to shoot, easy to clean and they look great (I have them in .22LR and .22WMR). The 10/22 is a great gun as well. If your into accessories, changing things up or customizing the 10/22 is hard to beat.....lots and lots of accessories.

8. rbmorris

rbmorris New Member

I've found that although not as customizable as a 10-22, the Marlin 60 is usually more accurate out of the box. That being said, I am a Savage fan from way back. THEY are accurate.

9. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i have a Marlin M60, early 1980's vintage i bought used, cleaned it up, put a Simmons scope on it, very accurate and fun to shoot. if you want a semi auto to customize and tinker on, get the Ruger 10/22, very good rifle. if looking for just take it out of the box and at most put a scope on it and go shooting, get the Marlin M60 or M795.

10. cbibb

cbibb New Member

Semi auto good 10/22 target or new cz they have a pretty good product.Bolt gun savage in a wood or laminent very accurate with mid priced ammo cz 452,453,455 all very good guns and can get in many configurations any thing from target ,military trainer,or just a plane sporter and varmint some varmint has a single set trigger push trigger forward and you get a lighter trigger pull good for accuracy good luck looking

11. MidnightExpress

MidnightExpress New Member

In that price range you could pick up a Browning Buckmark rifle, or one of their 22lr leveraction rifles.

CZ also has the 512 (semi-auto 22) out now. It's closer to $400 than the Browning models. It also appears the 512 will be available in 22Magnum.

If you want an accurate 22 under $200 the Marlin 60 is the way to go, if you want something to build the 10/22 has a lot of option out there. The 60 has some after market support too, but not to the extent of the Ruger.

12. JPGunworks

JPGunworks New Member

Accidentally double posted. Disregard this.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  13. JPGunworks

JPGunworks New Member

I picked up a Ruger 10/22 at walmart for around $200 (I've seen them on sale at $175), and it came with a bolt on picatinny rail and predrilled mounting holes. There are many aftermarket stock options, to include a 10/22 Tommy Gun kit for the Thompson enthusiast, but I went with a TAPCO tactical stock for around $89. I threw on a cheap red dot sight and a high quality bipod that I had from my days in the Marine Corps, and I've been using the thing to take head shots on moving squirrels (no wasted shoulder meat that way).

My favorites about the Ruger 10/22 is that there is such a large selection of aftermarket accessories, that often don't require any gunsmithing. Retrieving the weapon from the stock is a matter of removing one bolt if I remember correctly. They also have a nice selection of magazines. In addition to the nine round box magazine, ruger now makes a 25 round bannana clip magazine, and I have seen some neat looking 50 round drums. Aftermarket mags can be good, but I would reccomend only buying the magazines with steel feed lips.

Attached Files:

14. Hawg

Hawg New Member

If you want something inexpensive and accurate get a Marlin model 60. If you want something to spend money on to make it as accurate as a Marlin 60 get a Ruger.

15. TLuker

TLuker New Member

The 10/22's are fun and I have one, but if you're after serious accuracy I would go with the Savage Mark II BTVS. I've got one in .22 mag and love it. My buddy just got one in .22lr and I'll know for certain how accurate it is next week, but if it's half as accurate as the reviews it will be a winner.

16. ArmyGuy

ArmyGuy New Member

It seems like most everyone would recommend either the ruger 10/22 or the marlin 60. I like both of these because I like the look of a traditional looking rifle. Now that the rifle decision has been narrowed down what about ammo. Have you guys noticed any brand or type that is better and more accurate than others? Again thank you for any and all advice you're willing to give.

17. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

after you make a choice on which rifle, you are going to have to do the same as the rest of us, just try out different ammo until you find one the rifke is most accurate with. it could be the cheapest ammo or the more expensive, every rifle is different. buy small batches first, then the fun starts, go out and do some target shooting.

18. downsouth

downsouth New Member

Both of those rifles should be able to eat any 22lr shells you get. CCI Stingers are a good hot round. If your like most shooters the majority of the plinking will be done out a box of 500 or so.

19. big shrek

Truer words were never spoken :cool:

20. big shrek

Avoid Remington Golden Bullet bulk...factory Thirds...they are so inconsistant the ONLY thing you can use 'em for is plinking ammo.
    I won't even use 'em in rifles anymore...too many squibs and I HATE having to poke stuck bullets out of a barrel.