Qualified and ready for duty: S&W M&P Shield

Discussion in 'M&P Forum' started by Sentry18, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Sentry18

Sentry18 New Member

I just completed my first full duty qualification with my S&W Shield 9mm. I got it the day it was released but wanted to make sure it was 100% before carrying it. That meant 500+ rounds of both practice and duty ammo, as well as numerous function and malfunction drills. I also wanted to swap the sights from stock to Warren Tactical 2-dot night sights, find a holster and have at least three spare 8 round mags. I purchased the Shield to occupy the roles of back up gun, plain clothes carry and off duty carry. Which makes it a perfect partner for my primary duty gun; a full size S&W M&P 9mm. That one has already proven itself time and time again. Well now so has the Shield. With approx. 1000 rounds through it I have had no malfunctions & no parts breakages. What it has provided me with is superb accuracy and excellent shootability. Today the proof was in the pudding and I qualified with ease. In fact I scored 1 point higher with the Shield than I did with the M&P FS! I am also pretty sure I just sold several M&P Shields for Smith & Wesson to my fellow LEO's at the range shooting their M&P's. They just have to find one for sale first.

2. shipwreck

shipwreck New Member

Very cool. I have two of them and 1900 rounds fired total (between the two). Great guns!

It is my fav subcompact I have ever owned, and i have owned several and shot many others over the years...

[​IMG]

3. Corndork2

Corndork2 New Member

Thats great they allow you to carry one on duty! May I ask if this is a back up gun, or an off duty carry? Or carry for plain clothes work days?

4. Sentry18

Sentry18 New Member

Both the M&P and the Shield are agency issue guns for Detectives and non-uniformed Supervisors. So my Shield is primarily for desk duty and plain clothes, but I will also carry it off duty and as a back up my M&P when in uniform. The LEO's at my department were very pleased when we selected the M&P as our duty gun, but they went crazy over the Shield. It was quickly added to the department's approved gun list for individual officer purchase and now everyone either owns one or is on a waiting list to get one.

5. im413

im413 New Member

They need to make one without a manual safety. Then I will buy one.

6. Sentry18

Sentry18 New Member

Don't let that stop you. There is no way you are going to accidentally engage that safety.

7. JMAtactical

JMAtactical New Member

I for one am excited. My contract jobs are the perfect situation for a shield. I have only seen and read good things and tested once. At 20 yards i am grouping an average of 2.50 inches. This is nice for such a compact platform. This firearm has functioned properly and has had no failures of any kind. Reliability is key for a duty or cc pistol

8. JMAtactical

JMAtactical New Member

This fire arm data seems to be legit

Attached Files: