Quaility over Quantity???

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by kryptar19, Mar 22, 2012.

1. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

With all the recent and coming political crap, and the re-election too. What do y'all think is best?

1. Fitting the fire arms I have with scopes, and other things.

2. Buy a new rifle. Mosin, Mauser, some carbine. Just a surplus rifel.

I'm going to stock pile ammo period, I just want opinions on the other stuff.

2. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

OK, Where do you sit in this question? What do you have and what do they need? How much ammo do you have in what calibers? What would you buy next, Mosin, Mauser, some carbine or whatever?

What ammo are you going to stockpile and how much do you consider to be a reasonable amount in each caliber?

I like what I have and don't "need" anything more. My eyes are getting bad so I need to put some scopes on if I want to hit out 600 yards or so. I reload, I recycle. If I find a Mosin for free I don't have anything to feed it so there is no reason for me to pick it up. Same for the AK.

I have more firearms than I "need", but not nearly as many as I want.

3. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

My only concern in this is that rifles will become scarce soon, and I only have 1.

I need a few more mags for my AR, 10/22, and 9mm. I also want to get a quad rail with a forward grip and a new pistol grip for my AR.

Like I said ammo is not in this equation. That being said I am working my way up to 2000rds for each. (12ga, .223, .22lr, 9mm) I like to group my ammo, but I feel like I need another rifle in a larger caliber. But then that's just another mouth to feed...

4. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

You only have one one rifle? What is it?

5. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

Stagarms mod 1 with a 16" bull barrel.

6. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

Its not the first rifel I've ever owned, its just the onlly one I have left.

7. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I prefer quality over quantity.

The less mechanical things you have, the less will break down. If you try to keep it simple, you can get to know how those few things work, what needs improvements, and characteristics of each.

8. Cory2

Cory2 New Member

If the shtf then you only need one firearm and 1 well placed round to secure another firearm and more ammo. I am not advocating becoming agressive in a shtf scenario, I am saying if you need to use your firearms its probably because someone else has them as well. Once you drop them, you will have their firearms and ammo.... assuming you live. If you don't it doesn't matter anyway. That being said, I would suggest a rifle with more power than the .223. I don't want to start some fanboy war on here, its just that actual rifle cartridges give you many more options than intermediate cartridges do.

9. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

OK, You say here in these quotes that you have an AR, 10/22 and 9mm and I think you are saying that you have 2000 rounds for each. then you say you have the Stagarms mod 1 with a 15" bull barrel.

I have no knowledge of Stagarms, and I do don't know what caliber it fires. I offer my ignorance.

I'm calling TROLLL!

10. Cory2

Cory2 New Member

The stagarms is the ar15 i assume. Since the mod1 is an ar15.

11. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Ok, assume what you want.

12. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Yes, Stag Arms... Like this one, its the model 2

ForumRunner_20120322_123847.jpg

13. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

Wow man feelings!
    The Stag is my AR. I'm just asking for opinions.

Remember your the one that asked about my rifle, and ammo.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  14. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Personally, I perfer both. There are some rifles that are made very well, and in large quanities like Mausers. An 7mm or 8mm mauser is a fine gun. (some more then others) and they are generally piced pretty low.

Wether or not Mosins are quality is up for debate. If you concider a rifle that shoots every time you pull the trigger, fires a decent round, and can have decent accuracy, then it is quality. If you concider quality to be under 1 MOA accuracy at 500-1000 yards, then it is not.

Enfields and Arsiakas are also well made, accurate guns. (Arisaka ammo can be hard to find at times)

If you are wanting something a little more modern, look into the Marlin x7 series. They are extremely accurate as they are. They also don't break the bank.

As for the election, I don't see all rifles becomeing hard to find. ARs, AKs, and SKSs can become a little harder to find (and they will get more expensive), but bolt action rifles tend to stay closer to their normal price.

15. JonM

JonM Moderator

Quantity has a quality of its own.

It was the basis of russian military doctrine in ww2 and the theory that the americans and british used against german armor.

If you got 31 guys with single shot rifles against one guy with a full auto and only 30 rounds who wins....

There is a certain advantage to being able to arm your friends vs having one really good rifle.

16. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

Nice rifle by the way. I have the same green/black contrast on mine.

17. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Thank ya sir :)

18. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I like both. Who doesn't like quality and who doesn't like lots of it? You might want to think of getting a collection of spare parts together instead of getting another firearm. Become proficient w/ the Stag and have replacement barrels, bolts and such for when things need swapped out. I personally would start w/ a lighter profile barrel.

19. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

I've been thinking aboout getting a lighter barrel, but my rifle isn't that heavy. Ived also put some thought to getting an extra BCG and lower parts kit.

Thanks for all the great advice guys!

20. linuxuser3890

linuxuser3890 New Member

There is a saying that I believe applies the such discussions. "Fear the man that only owns one rifle."

Sent from my Inspire 4G using FirearmsTalk