quad rail options for m4

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by blackguns3000, Jan 26, 2012.

1. blackguns3000

blackguns3000 New Member

I have an m4, which has the ~~7" plastic hand guard. I know I can get a 7" quad rail and install it no prob, but could I cut down the fixed sight without touching the gas block to fit a longer hand rail(non free float)? Without having to replace the gas block? I kno of people who have cut their fixed sights down for the freedom of obstruction.

2. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Yep, a die grinder or a grinding wheel on a dremel like tool is all you need. You might want to remove the FSB first if you want to paint or parkerize it afterwards.

Its an inexpensive mod, done pretty quickly. I helped my friend do one, was pretty easy. He just used rattle can brake paint to touch it up afterwards. Its pretty low profile too so you can put a 15" rail on it and It should slide right over!

3. blackguns3000

blackguns3000 New Member

So on the front of a 15" rail, how does it mount to the gun? Does it just fit and tighten snugly to that part of the barrel?

4. blackguns3000

blackguns3000 New Member

By the way agenttikki, thank you this is great news for me. I couldn't be more excited I was kinda thinkin it might not be so easy. Thanks a million! C:

5. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

You will be hard pressed to find a non-free float foreend that will allow you to mount a 15" setup on a 7" gas system. Any conventional handguard will use the delta ring and front cap to secure the handguard to the barrel. A free float setup eliminates both and secures the handguard to the barrel nut leaving the front end open or closed with a cap that's more for looks than function.

What rail are you looking at? There are no 15" gas systems that I am aware of, are you sure it is not a free float?

6. Belltactical

Belltactical New Member

Just curious but why do you want a 15 incher on an m4?

7. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

I'm saying that you can put a free float rail over your modified gas block. A free float rail or handguard attaches to the upper recieveror at the base of the barrel by the barrel nut. That way when you hold or put any pressure on it, it doesn't move your barrel around.

Now you gotta choose your rail carefully. If you choose a rail that requires you to use a new barrel nut, you will have to remove the muzzle device and gas block. So read up before buying.

I don't think he's going to put a 15" rail on it, just saying he can if he wants.

After helping my friend do his, he put a 12" DD rail on it. It was very nice, but he did have to unpin his modified FSB and remove it and the flash hider.

8. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Not saying he should do it, but saying he can if he wants to. But I guess he could if he were looking for a mock dissapator look.

9. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Gotcha. Confused myself, read both posts and somehow came away thinking the OP was looking at a 15" non free-float handguard to mount on a carbine length gas system.

Mock dissipator look is a great idea, the FSP at the rifle length position would serve to anchor the non free float handguards, yet he avoids the cycling issues of a rifle length gas system on a 16" barrel.

10. blackguns3000

blackguns3000 New Member

Got somethin really cool for this idea. It's a 10.7" quad rail made for the m4 that calls for no modification; no cutting or replacing front sight/gas block. It fits the 7" factory handrail attachment and barrel nut. And extends past it a few inches, so its a mid length quad rail essentially, installs in a minute, military grade aluminum and mounting, and, Omg, only $70!!! I think its brilliant. And what a steal. http://www.combathunting.com/product.cgi?group=12942&product=12977
    Actually, check out the pic here: http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ARR157-7.html
    Of course, these pics are not those of my gun, but I ordered last night along with a foregrip and bipod and a couple other small things, so its just a matter of days until mine is equal to or better than those in the catalog pics ;-) Oh yeah. I'll have to change my picture!

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  11. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Well that's made by UTG. Not a company known for quality products.

12. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Or light weight products for real firearms.

13. blackguns3000

blackguns3000 New Member

Hey. Agree that by adding this long quad the idea of the lightweight ar 15 was ignored a bit. On the contrary, and yes-- I'm a junior member, what of it lol, I've been building ar's from the ground up for fourteen years, and this piece of crafted aluminum is quality. It may have been only seventy dollars, and it may not be monolithic, but man is it solid when installed. I mean zero latency. I took my scope, a $450 BARRET scope, off the factory upper rail, reinstalled it on my quad rail, made NO further adjustment, and my 16" barrel delivered a pmc round to a bottle of Dos Equis at just over 600 yards. Then pulled the scope BACK ten slots as to share the upper rail and the quad half/half with the scope mount. Zoomed my optics back in all the way again, blew up another. At least, at very least, this could have been the best Damn $70 I have EVER spent. No offense, and I don't know about anything else on the company's product line, but F#CK whatcha heard friend. I apologize and God bless ya.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  14. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

And what does any of that have to do with the quality of the quad rail?

15. ArBlackGuns3000

ArBlackGuns3000 New Member

I guess i went off a bit because i was so happy with it initially. But I havent just fired two shots through my barrel since I installed the rail. I have put the whole assembly through several various tests of torture. Dropped it-several ways on several stress points on virtually EVERy type of surface, put it under water with muddy sand, and more. the result? No noticeable change in trajectory in line with any of the sights, including a red laser mounted to the very front of the extension, which one would think would be the area susceptable to stress due to leverage past the barrel nut. To conclude, let me reply with a question..What characteristics and/or variable qualities do you take into account when judging the quality of such a product? $?