Firearms Talk banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
The .357 Magnums are what everyone wants and that go from 1000-2500 depending on condtion.
But 38 spc ?
maybe grand if in perfect condtions because its a python?
Thats what I would pay as a wheelgun aficionado.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
That may drive the value up as a novelty.
For me even as a wheel gun aficionado who was thinking of paying 1500 for a python once would not pay more than 1k for a 38 spc one no matter how rare.

But thats just me :)

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
I understand what bluez is saying, but in this particular case it could not be further from the truth. THAT IS NO NOVELTY. You have a truly rare collector piece. One of only 251 made. There is a premium for the nickel finish and also for having the original box and paperwork. Anybody that tells you that your gun isn't worth any more than a .357 model, they have no idea what they are talking about. There are a lot of Colt collectors that would give their right arm for that gun. Do not shoot it! Contact Colt and get a history letter on that gun to include in your original box as verification.

As to value, it's hard to say because all Pythons are bringing crazy money. As a ballpark, Blue Book says $1600 for the gun, add 50% for nickel finish so that's an additional $800, plus another $100 or so for the original box and paperwork. So you're looking at essentially $2500 to the right collector. Then add another 20% if its unfired.

Sorry bluez, but I'm a Python collector and I keep up with these things. A $1000 Python these days would be a well-worn sbooter with no box.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
An 8", nickel plated Python in .38 special. That's a rare beast.
I'm curious, what year is it? Does it have anything extra roll marked on the barrel? I know that 8" barrels are fairly uncommon and I have seen them marked "Hunter" and "Silhouette." Mine was refitted with a"silhouette" barrel in the mid to late 80s by my late father. I seem to recall that there was a "Python Target" (or something like that) at some point, in .38 spec only, though I can't recall whether they were available with the 8" barrel.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
This is a python target.
It's a rare variation (Target + Nickel Plating) of a relatively uncommon revolver.
Olympus' $2500 +20% sounds pretty solid to me. I'm no expert, however.
IMHO, hang on to it. It will continue to go up in value. Good Pythons are a solid investment. Yours is a standout among a special group.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts