PWS Primary Weapons Systems

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by okdonk, Jun 14, 2012.

1. okdonk

okdonk New Member

I don't understand why i almost never seen anyone mentioning PWS AR15s in this forum. Is it because of their systems based on pistons or what? For their price ranges, they are not so bad compared to other brands though. Experienced users here, please feed me with your opinions on this PWS whether they are good or not good. Thank you
    Honestly i like their SBR .223 Diablo model.

2. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Man you've got BRD bad! :p

Can't help with PWS...

3. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Whats BRD means Q? ;)

4. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Whatever it is you got it! :p

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

personally im not into the pistons. i think they are a passing fad.

just my opinion

6. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

BRD= Black Rifle Disease.... honestly, ive just not heard of them before.

7. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Yes.. i got BRD from you guys. But i'm glad i have it ;).
    I seen their videos from their site and youtube, quite impressed. And their expensive $150 muzzle brake/ flash hider is featured in the game "Ghost Recon: Future Soldier"
    Maybe they are new or not so well known. But i like their Diablo. One day i'd get the Diablo upper or the Noveske Diplomat upper. One day.. hopefully ;)

Attached Files:

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

dont worry ive had it since i was 5 or 6 years old and got a plastic M16 that shot sparks on full auto for christmas.

9. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

I bought a PWS MK114 a few months ago. Great rifle so far, no issues. Well made, lightweight, easy as all hell to clean. The muzzlebreak on it is bada$$ (FSC556).

They did a very good job with the MK1. I paid $1,500.00 for it. It comes standard with:

BCM Gunfighter Charging handle
    PWS enhanced buffer tube and
    PWS enhanced buffer
    MOE furniture (Stock, grip, and trigger guard)
    MBUS
    Quad rail full rail on top (well...)
    FSC556 Muzzle Device - which really does a great job of controlling muzzle rise

Wanting a piston AR, I initially considered these: Stag 8, Ruger 556, Sig 516, the ADCOR B.E.A.R. and LWRC. I opted for the PWS based on the reviews I read and price (I just wasn't spending $1,800-$2,000 for an LWRC).

Overall I am quite happy with it, as for the price, well it was a bit more than I wanted to initially spend, but I would have gotten there eventually after upgrades (that the PWS already had). I just felt that PWS did the best job of mixing the AR platform with the piston. By using a long stroke they eliminate a lot of moving parts, having the op-rod connected to the BCG helps a lot with carrier tilt and I have been told it uses a standard bolt which I found unique in a world of proprietary piston AR parts that sounds refreshing.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  10. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

11. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

12. Is this because no other rifles use a piston except...the M1, M14, AK47, FN SCAR series, SIG, H&K, etc.? Quite a history for a "fad."

If you want a piston rifle, look at the Barrett REC7. Here's a link to a discussion on an AR Forum about the REC7 - complete with photographs of the piston system, bolt, etc.

13. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

I considered it initially, and while I liked it for its long stroke piston, I preferred the PWS because the BCG and the op-rod are one piece. To me that makes much more sense, the less moving parts the better IMO and if the op rod is attached there's less of a chance of damage from the striking of it on the gas key. For me the PWS made more sense than the Barrett.

And one thing that you won't find on the PWS that you find on just about EVERY piston AR; no gas regulator. There's nothing to adjust on the PWS, just load up and fire away.

The manufacturer says it best, it's an AR with AK DNA. They've tortured this thing and it runs like a champ. Too bad it'll be hell to get parts in 10 years. I should start collecting spare parts from now....seriously.