Puzzle for you guys

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Franklin1995, Jul 26, 2013.

1. Franklin1995

Franklin1995 New Member

Hey guys, I'm looking at buying a hunting rifle. I'm 18 and I don't have much money, so I was looking at used rifles at a gun shop by my house. They have what they're calling a Savage 11 in 7mm. It has a Bushnell 3-9x40mm scope on it. The problem is that I can't find any reviews on this rifle at all. It does NOT have a detachable box magazine or Accutrigger. It has a 22 inch barrel, tang safety, synthetic stock. From what I've found out online, this gun does not exist... Can anyone tell me what exactly they have, and whether or not it is a good deal? The price is $370. Also, I plan on hunting hogs and possibly deer. Would this caliber work for what I want? I was planning on getting a .308, but this seems like a heck of a deal. Thank you in advance guys,

Franklin

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  2. Yunus

Yunus New Member

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Savage-Model-mm/1382008.uts

Thats just from a quick google search for "savage 11 7mm".

Whats your budget? I think you can get a good rifle and scope under $500 new and my concern with suggesting you get the savage used is that you may not know what to look for in a used gun to determine its prior use/abuse. For that reason I suggest buying new, but I would also say that if you trust the gun shop and they say its a rifle in good working order then it might be a really good deal.

7mm is a good and tested caliber but personally I stick to the more common calibers like 308 because of the less expensive mil spec ammo available. Thats just my personal opinon and im not a hunter so take my suggestions on caliber lightly. Im sure a more experienced hunter will comment soon.

3. Franklin1995

Franklin1995 New Member

Sorry, I meant to include that it does NOT have a accutrigger either. Which is why I can't find it anywhere haha. And I'm looking to spend around 400. And this gun shop is a really well known, well trusted place around here.

4. Franklin1995

Franklin1995 New Member

I'm starting to think that it might actually be a custom trigger on it. It was a very light and crisp trigger pull. Still looking for more advice though.

5. Yunus

Yunus New Member

I woupd trust them on the gun. Ask if the trigger or anything has been replaced. If it has then ask if they did it. If they did not do it, dont buy it.

6. Franklin1995

Franklin1995 New Member

They honestly didn't know too much about the gun itself. I might have just talked to the wrong salesman though. So if it is a custom trigger, I should stay away?

7. Franklin1995

Franklin1995 New Member

They run safety and quality checks on all of their used rifles before they put them on the shelf.

8. Yunus

Yunus New Member

Personally if you dont have a decent amount of experience i would avoid "custom" work on a used firearm. I say that because the first question that comes to mind is why is this used gun for sale, is it a lemon and the previous owner is dumping his problems on you? Without experience to make that judgement yourself I would put my faith in a slightly more expensive but stock new firearm.

9. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

I would get the caliber YOU want, or you will always never be satisfied. Patience yung grasshoppa. Any walmart has good rifles for under 400 dollars all year long.

10. nchunt101

nchunt101 New Member

The price seems a tad high. I would try to get them down to $300. Also, that model Savage is a REALLY light rifle and I would suggest getting something with a tad less recoil than a 7mm Rem mag if you are recoil shy.

11. Franklin1995

Franklin1995 New Member

@Anna_Purna The problem is that I'm not sure what caliber I want haha. I've never hunted before, but I've shot a variety. I just like guns to be honest :) And my walmart doesn't carry guns :( I could use some advice from hunters on what they prefer.

@nchunt101 Do you know what exactly this rifle is? And I'm not recoil shy at all, I actually kind of prefer a higher recoil. Makes it more fun to me :)

Thank you guys for the advice, i'm still looking into this and other rifles.

12. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

The model 11 was around before the accutriger which is relatively new. Savage makes a good bolt action and has been known for accuracy. I have seen several light weight 7mm mags sold because of the recoil. Several cartridges have been rather hard to get lately. 7mm mag, 270 and 243 have been fairly easy to find. 270 has been the easiest and 308 has been scarce. Research the cartridge and see if it fits your wants and needs. If you like it see if you can do a bump test on the trigger to see if it has been set too light or see if the lgs will guarantee the the trigger to be safe. Talk to the owner, not the salesman.

13. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

If it is an 11 it is a short action in 7mm-08. Yes Savage did make a 7-08 in the model 11. You need to look at the rifle to get the correct info. There are timney and bold triggers for that rifle that are VG. 7-08 is an excellent hunting round.

14. Franklin1995

Franklin1995 New Member

I do like the feel of it. It's very lightweight, and like I said recoil isn't a problem for me. I could spend all day running with that thing, and shouldering it feels really nice. What about the price though, assuming it passes the bump test. Is that a fair price for a "old" rifle? Is the scope any good? I think that the 3-9x40mm Bushnell Sportview is a lower end scope, but I don't want something too good. Thanks for all the answers so far guys.

15. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Well still, take your time and get what you want, before you walk into a store and see something sitting there that you think is a good deal. You will not regret getting what you made plans for.

What type of animals do you intend to hunt with this rifle? What type of terrain are they located in in your area? Mountains, Plains, Deserts, Forests?

A 7mm is a good gun for a specific kind of shooting or area, but may not be what would be better suited in your area. There are always brand new guns on slickguns selling in the 400 dollar range. and that way you dont have to worry if the barrel has been shot out, or if the crown has been damaged.

Take your time reading about calibers, and asking questions, and answer others on what type of animal etc are you going to plan on hunting, and we are always glad to help you out. I don't like to point people to a specific gun that I happen to like, i would rather let you make that decision. I just want you to get the one you want and enjoy it.

if you want something has has a little kick to it, get a 338 Winchester mag, or even a 45/70- shooting 405 grains of hard cast lead. With that you can do Texas heart shots on about any animal on earth and get it into the vitals :D

16. Franklin1995

Franklin1995 New Member

I live in Florida right now, so pretty flat terrain (alright, extremely flat) I plan on hunting a lot of hog and probably some deer once in awhile. I have my great granddads stevens 335 for birds already, so I just need a rifle that will cover the other side of hunting. I don't really want a BIG gun like a 338. What I really want is something that won't destroy smaller animals, but will still take out bigger ones. I'll be moving around in a few years and would like to keep this rifle with me. Another thing is that I am trying to get the best deal I can. A hundred dollars doesn't seem like much, but I'm starting college next month, and that's 2 tanks of gas haha. $370 sounds real sweet compared to the 550-600 i'd spend after glass on a Ruger American.

17. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Can you find shells for the 7mm?
    A 270 shoots the exact same bullets, and doesn't have the kick a 7mm does. And the bullets on the shelves are cheaper. The 270 is a great gun (as is the 7mm) for flat country. Does Florida even have deer?

Up here we call things that small gerbils! ;)

18. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

I doubt he knows what a Tx heart shot is!
    If you hit the 3 minute mark, it will be explained!
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPIoQVL0hOs[/ame]

You still need to really know everything about it before hand. I bought a Savage 110 in 7mm Rem Mag for $275.00 is 1992. Is it worth more now, maybe.

19. Franklin1995

Franklin1995 New Member

The store I was at had plenty of 7mm on the shelf. 308 down is here is somewhat challenging to find from what the guy told me though. He said around here 7mm is common. And no I don't know what Tx heartshot is but i'll watch that video. And yea we do have some "deer" around here :)

20. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Sounds like the 7mm is up your alley then. make sure to check out the lans to make sure there isn't excessive wear, and the crown for any gouges or marks.

A texas heart shot is shooting an animal from the rear end and up into its vitals. From any angle to the heart, really. Texans just do some things odd! :eek: ;)