Putting Information about a person on the web

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by BCMjUnKiE, Feb 4, 2012.

1. BCMjUnKiE

BCMjUnKiE New Member

Is it legal to put a person's name and username to different forums on the site of a forum for all to see? Just to ruin the person for no reason. I'm no lawyer but sure sounds like that it's crossing the line and could indeed be illegal.

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

i dont see how it could be illegal. it is certainly a dirtbag move though

3. BCMjUnKiE

BCMjUnKiE New Member

That's what I thought. Why would you go that far as to do such crap. Obviously the person has no life or is just mentally unstable. My Friend is the one this has happened to. I could throw the Username and name of the person that is doing it. But I'm not a dirt bag or a stalker.

4. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Just let us know if it ever happens here.

5. BCMjUnKiE

BCMjUnKiE New Member

I wil let you know.

This guy obviously doesn't know that computer hacking is a Federal Crime.
    I sent a message to the Staff of that site about this.
    No response and thread is still up with personal information.
    If they don't remove it then they are in the same boat as the OP.

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

I am not a lawyer (Am engineer- a useful member of society) and this is not a good place to seek legal advice.

Whether that would be actionable is going to depend to a large degree on what context it was done in, and claims or allegations associated with that- and the truth/ untruth of those claims.

If I were to post something like "Beware of a seller using the name BCMJunkie. His name is Joe Blow from West Tree Stump Idaho. He has been convicted of 5 counts of mail fraud for taking payments for guns he failed to deliver."- Well, if THAT is accurate, truth is a strong defense against slander/libel. If it is NOT accurate, that person better have a GOOD lawyer.

If, on the other hand, I said something like "BCMJunkie is Joe Blow from West Tree Stump Idaho. He is full of crap, knows nothing about guns, and is a lousy shot."- well, while that is not playing nice, POSSIBLY would not rise to the level of being something to take to court.

As far as identity, do not ever assume that anything you put on the interwebz had any privacy to it.

But again, when it comes to legal advice, we ain't it. Sorry-

7. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

Where in Idaho? I thought these inbreds were from Coon Nose Hollow, Virginia. And played their banjos on a bridge.:D:rolleyes:

8. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

They were from Frog Level, VA, and moved to Monkey's Eyebrow KY before they were driven out and settled in Idaho. They played their banjos UNDER the bridge.

PS- scary thought- there really IS a Frog Level and a Monkey's Eyebrow.

9. trip286

trip286 New Member

We have a gun town and hobo town here in MS. Just thought since the subject came up...

10. vincent

vincent New Member

Lizard Lick NC...

11. boatme98

boatme98 New Member

I am not a lawyer (Am engineer- a useful member of society)

^^^Now that's funny!
    Bear Waller Gap, Tn.

12. BCMjUnKiE

BCMjUnKiE New Member

The problem is solved and the staff deleted his post with the persons personal information. I simple told them that I could report the OP to the FBI Computer hacking division http://www.cybercrime.gov/reporting.htm

Suddenly the post was completely gone.
    The OP must be a home body and a hacker with nothing better to do. But if he keeps that up he might wind up in court and/or in jail for hacking personal information.

13. paintsplat

paintsplat New Member

it doesn,t take a hacker to find out certain types of personal info, if you watch how people post, and what is said in posts, people make mistakes, then all it takes is putting two and two together, doing some detective work on the web, and you would be surprised what you can come up with.

14. BCMjUnKiE

BCMjUnKiE New Member

I know, now he is at it again. This guy is truly obsessed with my friend.
    For all out there beware of snackgunner5. He truly has some mental issues going on.

15. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

Slick, Oklahoma.

16. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I have heard of this when the user does some REALLY bad stuff. Theft, Fraud, etc. If Joe Douche rips off some members of a forum he should expect to be outed by the admin. Thieves do not deserve privacy.

Illegal? It depends how the info was obtained. Being able to PROVE it was obtained illegally is difficult.

17. BCMjUnKiE

BCMjUnKiE New Member

There was no fraud, theft or bad stuff.
    My friend decided not sell him his BCM lower and he went on a rapage.
    Just because someone changes there mind. They deserve a beat down?
    I mean give the guy a break. This is just some douche bag pissed because he decided not to sell him a lower.
    Obviously thus guy doesn't want to buy one threw a FFL.
    That's my guess.

18. corrinavatan

corrinavatan New Member

If he got the username/password by legal means, then the answer is probably "no." For example, if someone uses a username, publishes that information somewhere online, and it later shows up on a google search result, well, nothing that can be done.

Now, if the person illegally obtained the information (hacked into a computer database and stole information), then they would be in trouble for obtaining the information illegally. But I doubt that you could actually get them for anything.

A while back there was a guy who made a serious mistake working public relations for a company, and a news blog did an investigation. Looking up his public email and doing a search for it, they found out that the same email address was used as a username on a Steroid-user's forum. They reported it ("Hey, this email is the same email being used for this Steroid user... coincidence?")

There is no law saying that you can't reveal the name of any particular username for any particular forum; unless the EULA of the forum says that by using the forum, you agree not to. But that would be on iffy grounds for people who don't even USE the forum, and aren't subject to that EULA (say that my brother, who knows my username is, decided to post it on a forum... he can't be beholden to Firearmstalk EULA if he never visited the site).

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  19. BCMjUnKiE

BCMjUnKiE New Member

I just think the whole thing is the biggest douche bag move made so far this year.
    Typical *******, I guess.

20. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member