Pushing Glocks?

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by Tidalforce79, Oct 20, 2010.

1. Tidalforce79

Tidalforce79 New Member

I just recently read a people being pushy about selling Glocks. Now, in itself, seems like something that's just on of those things. However, I have had several friends tell me they had they same experience, and I myself had a person try to push a Glock on me at the gun store......any idea? Conspiracy?

2. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

People are either passionate for, or against, Glocks.

There are many great reasons to own a Glock, and if it fits your hand I recommend it highly. They are excellent pistols.

As for any kind of conspiracy, nope. Good, solid, reliable, durable pistols.

But if it does not fit your hand, look into an XD, or FNP or such.

3. zhuk

zhuk New Member

Maybe the shop wanted to get rid of some older stock?

Only ever seen gunshop salespeople advise, never push. But considering there are so few pistol shooters down here they probably don't want to drive customers away :p

4. beaglesam

beaglesam Active Member

Profit margin has the most to do with it I believe.

5. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

When I worked in and owned gun stores I never pushed anything because of profit margin. I pushed things I was passionate about.

6. beaglesam

beaglesam Active Member

You are right. It depends on the the shop. The ones that I frequent in Dayton, Ohio are split. The high volume stores really push one manufacturer over the other. From what I've learned they get a better deal from one manufacturer over another, so they push that gun. The smaller shops you will get different opinions from two different workers, their preferences.

7. indyfan

indyfan New Member

My gun dealer asks me a few questions before he suggests something.

What are you gonna be using it for? What caliber are you looking for? What size of handgun do you want?

He doesn't push Glocks. Neither does the Glock armorer that works there.

It isn't a conspiracy, just some random Glock fan you dealt with.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2010
  8. zhuk

zhuk New Member

What sort of profit margin would you get out of a approx-$500 gun (as I believe it goes for in the US)?

Shelling out about $800-1000 for one here, well maybe I could understand :p

9. gilfo

gilfo Member

Probably pushing the older models to make room for the Gen 4's.

10. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I'd rather PUSH my Glock than ride in a .... Wait. What? :confused:

11. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

They probably just don't like you. :D ;)

Nah, I agree with what M14SROCK said. A guy in my local gunstore was touting the G27 when I was buying my xd40sc. I held it and made a face, he got the point. :)

Disclaimer *glocks are great weapons for those that like them. Please don't send me hateful pm's*

12. wb_carpenter

wb_carpenter New Member

the theme I've seen is push the glock bash the taurus and most people are whatever about everything else other than the occasional XD/M&P fan.

13. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

It's America dammit, shop someplace else.

14. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

I had a shop owner once tell me that a 24/7 would shoot a turd if you put a primer on it. Even though I don't care for Taurus, I still found it hilarious.

-Fred

15. luckyg

luckyg New Member

There's nothing wrong with pushing a handgun that is very effective, very reliable, and very easy to shoot.

Whenever someone asks me for handgun advice I almost always ask them if they've tried a Glock before.
    If they have tried a Glock and didn't like them, fine, I will not try to argue.
    But if they haven't tried a Glock I tell them that they are doing themselves a dis-service by not giving the Glock a chance.
    Glocks are great pistols IMO.

16. JSDinTexas

JSDinTexas New Member

It has been my experience that the gun salesman will "push" whatever is going to get them the best commission or what the boss says to get rid of today.
    Caveat Emptor

17. zhuk

zhuk New Member

No doubt. Just they don't suit some, as you sensibly pointed out.

There's a difference between suggesting a Glock to someone who hadn't considered it and accepting it if they decline (as you do), and pushing something more aggressively for sales/profit reasons, against the inclination of the buyer.

18. WoodysKJ

WoodysKJ New Member

Commission?!?!?!

Run don't walk away from any gun store that pays on commission. that is insane.

19. Theunsb

Theunsb New Member

Try to accept that some guys are passionate about Glocks.:D

I am a gun prostitute, I love all guns. You can sell me anything. Even a Glock.;)

20. JSDinTexas

JSDinTexas New Member

Passionate? Not sure, but Glock was my first gun after I got back into firearms and maybe that affected me (or infected maybe :)).
    I have never been displeased with any aspect of a Glock, except for grip size due to staggered load magazines. But I use sf so that helps in my 45s, and my 40s fit fine.