Purse Carry

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by ScottA, Jan 3, 2014.

1. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

My wife got her CCW a year ago, but has not carried. Now she is considering carrying. It will probably be a J frame revolver or similar. Purse carry is going to be her only option, so please don't start a debate about off body carry.

Does anyone have any recommendations for holsters for carry in a purse? I can foresee dedicated holster purses down the road, but holsters for inside a traditional purse is the place to start.

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Obviously I'm not experienced with purse carry, unless someone has a better option I would suggest a pocket holster and industrial Velcro.

Per your request I will leave out my purse Snatcher input. Lol

better judged by twelve than carried by six.

3. seancslaughter

seancslaughter New Member

4. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

My daughter destroyed a revolver carrying it loose in her purse. My best suggestion is a purse designed for carry with a separate special fast access compartment for the pistol. There are several makers out there and I believe the NRA Store carries some.

5. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

This is what I would suggest, too.

6. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Wife wife bought a purse designed for carry with branded SS wire in the shoulder strap and has a velcro holster for you pistol to be set how you want it. Wife bought the engraved sheep skin model. Nice piece of work. She shaid now I can carry in the holster and one my body at the same time. Cool. They have enough choice in size and style to fill any needs.
    http://www.guntotenmamas.com/

7. MoHawk

MoHawk New Member

Hodges Custom kydex now makes a trigger holster. Raven Concealment does too, called the Vanguard

8. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Even if a lady doesn't like purses made to carry a gun she can use a pocket holster to keep the gun clean. I have seen pocket holsters with a metal clip on them, they are inexpensive nylon holsters. Thread and lint can jam the action of any gun.

9. kalboy26

kalboy26 New Member

Remora seems to work fine for my wife's purse(or me when I steal her gun...)

10. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

The problem with regular purse is there not tough enough if a guy snaps one away from her body straps and handle can snap. Some cc purse's have aheavy duty attachments and steel branded cable in the shoulder strap. If a big enough guy grabs at the womens bag she is stay'n with it or going too and so may his arm.

11. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

My wife has a "gun totin mama" purse. But she stopped using it. Ladies tend to change purses often. She used the real one for about 6 months. Then she decided it was ugly. At $140 I was not too happy about it. She now has a hippy looking purse. It has a zippered pocket on one side. She uses a uncle mikes pocket holster to carry her J-Frame.

The main thing is not to put anything but the gun in the pocket that you are going to use for it.

My concealed carry class instructor told us all about a lady that carried in her purse. But when she went to the range her gun would not fire. Turned out it was full of dog treats. Yea she used to keep dog treats in her purse.

You also don't need to find out that your keys made your gun go bang!

12. wittmeba

wittmeba New Member

I would think this would be easy for a semi-crafty individual to make.

[​IMG]

A vertical piece of rigid plastic customized for a specific purse or sized to be used with various purses
    An inexpensive pocket holster to fit the gun like a Remora (IWB design) or others - this is $5.97
    [​IMG]

Some industrial Velcro obtainable from Lowes/Home Depot and the personal satisfaction that you made it yourself.

Here is a compilation of holsters - not specific but links to most mfgs sites.
    http://gotnarcosis.com/brucewittmeier/technical/Holsters.html

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  13. thefourthD

thefourthD New Member

I strongly recommend against purse carry. There are three strong reasons why not to purse carry.
    1. If the bad guy wants your purse and will leave you (and the gun on you) alone they can have it and your still armed. If You purse carry now they have your gun and Your unprotected
    2. Your purse is not always in your control. It gets set on the floor at restaurants, movie theaters, dentist office, left in the shopping cart while you turn your back to look at something, left in your friends living room while you use the restroom, left on the front seat of the car while you get gas, etc. Children LOVE to get into purses and bad guys LOVE to take them.
    3. Things go flying when you are "attacked". It's unrealistic to think you can hold on to, let alone get into, find, and draw while you're being attacked. I have seen many purses made to carry firearms and if it is the only way a woman will carry I guess it's better than nothing but please have them attempt on the body carry first.
    It can be done. Try many guns and many holsters. Explain to her its like getting her engagement ring. It feels strange and bulky at first but before you know you don't even know it's there but you freak out when it's missing. Try every set up for at least a week.
    Good luck

14. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Oh so all fired negative. hard for some ladys to carry on there body all the time. deal with that idea.

That's also why my wife may carry a 380 in her waist band if she carry's a purse. Also a good carry purse has ss bradded wire in the strap and heavy duty hooks . More likely the BG may brake a wrist if tried to snatch a over the shoulder purse. Not always the best or only way to carry but like some guys that carry in different parts of there bodies or in some easy to grab belt bag or box that only clips on it's just an option and some are easier for a bg to deal with but one of several many people rotate too.

15. NC1760

NC1760 New Member

Purse carry..??

I will not under any condition carry her purse!! She brought it with her... she can keep up with it!! :p
    ..Sorry... being a smart@$$ is just too much to resist sometimes!!

Anyway... back to the subject at hand. Has anyone here checked this site out;
    http://www.thewellarmedwoman.com/women-and-guns/concealed-carry

16. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

not sure of the brand but my sister uses a little black, square purse. its made for CC and has a quick access velcro pouch, and holster. the gun can be fired in the holster if needed. im not a fan of purse carry, however the safest bet is a dedicated purse. just my .02

17. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Most women's purses are deadly weapons in their own right.

18. orangello

orangello New Member

I will second that suggestion about "nothing in gun pocket but gun", especially caramel candies.

19. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

With a pocket holster covering the gun it should be protected. Mens pockets are no different that a womans purse. There is always a ball of lint in my pocket large enough to jam any gun. Yet the lint never finds it's way into my gun. I have have even found one of my wife's stockings in my pocket. The stocking did not bother my gun because it was in a holster.