Pure sexy P220 Elite Match 10mm

Discussion in 'SIG Sauer Forum' started by jpattersonnh, Jul 18, 2017.

1. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Well-Known Member

Picked this up last Friday to replace my 1911a1 gov't 10mm. Taking her out this Saturday to break her in.

Attached Files:

2. Viking

Viking Well-Known Member

I could live with this pistol, the only problem is that locally I have never seen ammo on the shelves. For me it would be a handload situation, I carry a .40 S&W caliber pistol for CCW and ammo has always been available in abundance.

3. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Well-Known Member

I've got 3 shops within 2 miles from my house. All carry 10mm. I stopped in one the other day and picked up a 50 round box of Sig 180gr , 23.99. I do reload for 10mm already, lots of cast lead

4. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member Supporter

purdy.

I love my GT20 (limited edition P220 10mm). I love to shoot, but given it's somewhat limited edition status, don't shoot it often.

wrt finding 10mm, I have no problem locating it, plus many online sites have it. I picked up some Ted Nugent 10mm ammo, irc made by doubletap. it's with my unusual ammo display :)

5. CaptMidnight

CaptMidnight New Member Supporter

The 10MM is a hand loaders round. The factory ammo is loaded for the pistols without fully supported chambers. The P220, Colt 1911 and the Glocks do not have ramped barrels or fully supported chambers. .
    These guns should be loaded to accommodate the factory loads only. The Rock Island 1911, Dan Wesson, STI and others have ramped barrels and fully supported chambers.
    The 10MM can be loaded to 35,000 PSI with many serious headloads. The IPSC shooters load the .40 S&W Long. This is a .40 S&W loaded with a 180 bullet seated to an OAL of 1.253 in a 10MM chamber. It is loaded to meet major caliber stats of 950 FPS. This allows the use of .40 S&W brass.
    The 10MM has a cult following and deservedly so. The round based on the old .30 Remington rifle case and 38-40 bullets has been a great addition for serious hand loaders.
    I have had great luck with the Berry's Hollow base long surface 165 grs. bullet over AA9. The LEE 170 lead cast Lyman Number 2 alloy over AA7 is showing promise. The 10MM is very popular in Brown Bear country.
    Factory ammo is available in the Rocky Mtn. outlets. There is low cost aluminum 10MM at $22 bucks a box.

6. PaBushMan

PaBushMan Well-Known Member

Very nice gun.I been kicking around the idea of a 10 mm myself. But like Viking said lack of ammo locally is holding me back.

7. dickie3625

dickie3625 New Member

Almost looks like a legion finish

8. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Looks nice. I like my plain ol' P220 in .45 very much. Just seems to be a natural pointer and shooter for me.

9. Kilibreaux

Kilibreaux Member

Why does the ability to buy ammo at Walmart (aka: "locally") determine whether you want a gun/caliber? There is this thing called the "Internet" where one can order copious quantities of any caliber ammo their heart desires...even 10mm, and usually for BETTER prices (including shipping), than they'll EVER find "locally."

Additionally...so you like the .40? Well guess what...it chambers and shoots just fine through 10mm handguns...yep, sure does. If you doubt it, go on that "Internet" and check out about 40 billion youtube videos that show people doing it all day, everyday.

I've been shooting .40 S&W through my Glock 20 and 29 since day one...because I can find it "locally" for $15 a box of 50 and it's fun to shoot. For REAL carry I order my 10mm ammo from Underwoodammo.com, though I can also find that "locally" all day long.

10. Kilibreaux

Kilibreaux Member

HEY, that's a couple of GREAT looking forty-fives!

Oh...wait, they're 10mm?

Just kidding...I love the 10mm and anything it comes in...though Glock set the bar for 10mm performance and Sig is a Johnny-come-lately to the party. For the money I am SURE Sig wants for that, I could buy two G20's that will hold up to hotter loads, last longer, and have more custom options! Don't believe me? Well, I currently have a G20 converted to shoot the .460 Rowland with a Lone Wolf long slide and 6.61" barrel with LW muzzle brake...and Glock .45 ACP magazines...basically retrofitted everything onto a G20 "10mm" frame. The .460R will sling a 185 grain Underwood loaded JHP at 1,730 fps.

I HIGHLY DOUBT such a "conversion" will ever be available for the SIG...

Don't get me wrong, I really like Sig pistols...I just don't like the game of jumping on the bandwagon someone else set in motion and charging a rip-off premium for nothing more "special" than a name on the slide.