Pure Ignorance

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by hogrider, Dec 13, 2010.

1. hogrider

hogrider New Member

I need to ask a question out of pure ignorance. Is a .223 as brutally loud as a .22-250. I don't own a .223 or even been around one. So I'm honestly asking this out of pure ignorance. I'm think of purchasing my next rifle in .223 and I'm just wondering if it is equally as brutal. Sometimes you just don't have ear protection immediately available if ya know what I mean.

2. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

No not really.

The 22-250 burns a lot of powder more than the 223 so that makes it louder.

Both are loud enough to do permanent damage to your hearing with one shot. TO me there is ZERO reason why you don't have hearing protection. I keep 3 sets in my car at all times. you never know when you are going to need them.

A lot of the loudness depends on your surroundings if you are in a wide open field it may not seam as loud as if you were shooting on a rifle range with a covered firing line.

While hunting I attach a small case to my sling so I know I always have them with me. You can also look into something like a walker game ear.

3. hogrider

hogrider New Member

Loud

Thanks tango. I thought that might be the case but I was hoping the .223 might be a little more forgiving in case I saw a coyote when I didn't have my ear plugs in my pocket. That does happen when you're busy on a ranch like I am.

4. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

5. hogrider

hogrider New Member

Muzzle Brake

Dragon Head muzzle brake. I'll check into that more. Thanks for the pointer.

6. willfully armed

Heres a better source, as the one i posted affixes with allen screws. The ones Ive seen actually thread on.

Black Hole Weaponry

7. hogrider

hogrider New Member

.308 versus .22-250

Thanks Willfully. I have to ask a followup though. Is the .308 any less brutal in the loud department. I must have been just dumb and young but I don't remember .30-30 being as brutal. Hope it's okay to ask a follow up and not start an entire new thread.

8. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

9. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
  10. hogrider

hogrider New Member

Hearing Protection

Preaching to the choir tango. Made the mistake ONCE without. ;)

THANKS FOR ALL THE SUGGESTIONS.

I'll just stick with the .22-250 and look to put a muzzle brake on it in addition.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
  11. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

A muzzle break will cause the noise to skyrocket.

A suppressor on the other hand would make it nice and quiet.

12. willfully armed

Check with state regs on use of suppressor while taking game/controlling nuisances.

13. Highpower

Highpower New Member

That is solid gold advice right there IMO. (thumbs)