Purchasing an AR15

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by farthingdv, Apr 15, 2013.

1. farthingdv

farthingdv New Member

I am looking to purchase an AR 15. I am curious what brands would you suggest? I've thought Colt. Want to hear your thoughts.

2. ExpressMagnum

ExpressMagnum New Member

I love my stag model 4 m16... Super accurate and left land ... My buddy loves his Daniel defence and his Remington r15, he hunts coyote ans bobcat like nothing ... Colt is a fine crafted machine but never came across one or a owner

3. longunner

longunner New Member

People like colt and PSA. Can't say for myself, never held either, but I can tell you that I love my STAG. If I were you I'd also invest in some ear protection because these babies are LOUD :D

4. ExpressMagnum

ExpressMagnum New Member

Stag has a waiting list like you wouldn't imagine but they make a excellent product

5. ExpressMagnum

ExpressMagnum New Member

I had bad experiences with DPMS, I also know person custom built Ar"s with tge New frontiers Ar-15 lower and they.all swear by it, so if ur on a budget I would buy a lower and go from there

6. bamashooter68

bamashooter68 Member

My Del-ton Echo 316/MOE is a very well made carbine that has been flawless in operation and accuracy is sub-moa with PMC X-Tac ammunition and even better with my handloads. They make a rifle for every budget and need.

http://www.del-ton.com/DTI_16_Carbine_MOE_Rifle_p/rfth16-moe.htm

I paid $599+tax, added a magpul buis and Im shooting and enjoying a fine AR. I have since added a Eotech 512.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
  7. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Colt. All the way. 6920 or 6940.

You pay a little extra for quality, but that's true of anything.

8. longunner

longunner New Member

I really wanted a del ton for my first AR but I couldn't find one anywhere :mad: does anyone know if they're milspec?

9. bamashooter68

bamashooter68 Member

Click on the link in my post. Click the technical specs of the delton and see for yourself. Quality all the way. It doesn't have to be a colt to be a solid carbine. I would put my delton up against any carbine in its class.

10. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

AFAIK, only the Colt is MilSpec. Daniel Defense and BCM are close.

11. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

Colt and S&W are close as far as dependability. I prefer S&W in that price range. For a good deal and I believe the best deal for the money Double Star can't be beat for there lower priced models.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
  12. longunner

longunner New Member

It's only truly milspec if it has FA capabilities :cool:

13. ExpressMagnum

ExpressMagnum New Member

I just got my new frontier lw-15 lower and it is on a m4 platform but mil spec, now to get a lower? And within this year?

14. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

15. Donn

Donn Active Member

Which one you decide on is your call DV. I'd caution you to wait a little while. Prices are starting to return to reality and guys who spent $2000 for a $600-$700 AR during the panic are probably having serious buyer's remorse.

16. firemonkey150

firemonkey150 New Member

Daniel defense makes and excellent product. I've owned 2 double star and they're great especially for the price (5 months ago). Rock rivers good, Bcm is good.
    I've heard mixed reviews about delton on other forums when I was looking into buying my first AR. So I never bought one. That being said I can't comment on their quality cause I have no first hand experience with them.

17. Westy

Westy New Member

Just curious what kind of issues you've had with DPMS?

18. jc126

jc126 New Member

We have a colt and as said before about the stag being LOUD our colt is quiet enough to be shot without ear protection of you shoot without it. Personally I wear ear plugs anytime I shoot even if its just a .22. The colt can't be beat. I love it. We have not had a single problem out of it. I coyote hunt with it. It is way more accurate than a friends rock river or s&w. Anymore questions about colt??

19. firemonkey150

firemonkey150 New Member

Way more accurate in what conditions exactly? I own a rock river and shoot dime size groups at 100 yds. Sounds like accuracy is a product of the shooter in your case.

20. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Yes. How can essentially the same gun firing the same ammo be quieter than another one? (Suppressor aside) My opinion is that unless it is suppressed, it's too loud. Mandatory hearing protection.