Purchased first handgun last week

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by jamesb, Jun 14, 2010.

1. jamesb

jamesb New Member

Got word my permit was ready last week after 7 week wait, which I thought was going to be longer.

I went to the shop afterwards looking for my first pistol in 9mm. I checked out different guns like the 226, 229, XDm, PPS, P2000, G19, etc. When I picked it up I knew I had to have it. Just fit my hand like a glove. I put 300 rounds of Winchester White box through it with no issues. Accuracy needs work, but then again this is my first real gun. Cleaned it last night and can't wait to get back to the range again.

I picked up some boxes of Remington UMC FMJ to try as my friend mentioned that it wasn't as dirty as the Winchester. It was on sale for the same price so figured why not give it a go.

Waiting for my DeSantis OWB holster, Supertuck Deluxe, and Gun belt to come in a few weeks.

Of course what is a purchase thread without photos (from my phone) of my first pistol, a HK P30 9mm.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
  2. 995

995 New Member

Congrats on the new gun and that is one sweet looking Hk .

3. jamesb

jamesb New Member

Thanks! Just been reading that the concensus is that the Remington UMC is the suck. I'll try a box or so, but i'm probably not going to shoot much. Just gonna stock up on the WWB for now as it shot fine with that stuff.

4. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Practice, practice, practice. Burn the cheap at the range, use the better quality for other stuff.

5. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

HK makes a great pistol, good choice.

6. jamesb

jamesb New Member

Agreed. I'm hoping to go twice a week. Gonna try and take my father for fathers day because he just got his permit, but hasn't shot since last year when he took his course.

7. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Congratulations. I shoot a fair amount of WWB at the range. I haven't found it to be particularly dirty. In fact, just the opposite.

8. Flat4sti

Flat4sti New Member

That is actually the next gun on the list for me. Well it is a close toss up between an AR. Anyway I want it in the .40. The 1911 will have to wait in the back of the line. Sorry folks

9. RevDerb

RevDerb New Member

Congratulations! Darned nice phone pics! :)

10. canebrake

canebrake New Member

11. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

12. smallbore

smallbore New Member

13. Viking

Viking Active Member

Good for you!!

14. jamesb

jamesb New Member

Alright...carry ammo time now! Hollow points of course but which brand, grain, etc? I've heard Hornady Critical Defense is good. I have two boxes of Remington Home Defense 124gr bjhp's but from what I am reading Remington is below par (at least their UMC FMJ is). I'm going to put a box through the gun this week to see how they shoot.

So, what would you recommend for 9mm HP for defense in my HK?

15. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

UMC is cheap practice ammo. I wouldn't make any assumptions of Remington Home Defense based upon UMC.

The Hornady would work well, probably the Remington you already have, and a couple hundred other ammos as well. It's endless. ;)

16. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

Everyone has their own favorite. Hornady does make good stuff, as do many other companies. My own preference is Winchester Ranger 127gr +P+.

17. justdon

justdon New Member

Don't own an hk but i know they are awesome weapons. Looks beautiful. Enjoy it.