Firearms Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Went in to this local gun store around from my neighborhood called Oakridge Custom Finishing to look around and spotted a Taurus 856 Defender in stainless for $360, which is about $40 to $50 less than online. It was the only one in the store. Well I purchased and I’m headed home with it now. I’m sure it’s just as good as the snub 856 that I got. Best thing about it is that it fits my snub 856 holsters as well, it just sticks out a little at the bottom but I think that’s okay.

·
Supporting Member
12,636 Posts
Pro 2 A

Very nice! One good looking Revolver.
Taurus normally gets a (n) here on the Forum. I can not give an opinion. But over the past years I have had two Model 85 Taurus Revolvers in 38 SPC. I had no problems with any of the two I owned. Both of them are presently one with a friend and one with a family member! Gave them as Gifts years ago since they did not have a home pistol to keep in their Bed Stands and was wanting one.
The new ones I have no knowledge about but sure like the looks of some of them!
Yours as I stated is one fine looking Revolver.(y)
Be sure and send us a Range Report when you get it out for a run.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pro 2 A

Very nice! One good looking Revolver.
Taurus normally gets a (n) here on the Forum. I can not give an opinion. But over the past years I have had two Model 85 Taurus Revolvers in 38 SPC. I had no problems with any of the two I owned. Both of them are presently one with a friend and one with a family member! Gave them as Gifts years ago since they did not have a home pistol to keep in their Bed Stands and was wanting one.
The new ones I have no knowledge about but sure like the looks of some of them!
Yours as I stated is one fine looking Revolver.(y)
Be sure and send us a Range Report when you get it out for a run.

My snub 856 is great, shoots well so hopefully this 3 inch would be just as great.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I also just recently bought the same 856 Defender in stainless. It came with the Hogue grip and Ameriglo sights installed. The Hogue grip pinches my knuckle between it and the trigger guard so I installed the OEM grip that was also in the box. The OEM grip is shorter than the Hogue so my pinky finger hangs off but it doesn't seem to affect my shooting. However, I did order a larger/longer grip from ATI which should arrive Saturday:

X2 Taurus® Small Frame Grip | ATI Outdoors

For under $30 I figured what have I got to lose to give it a try.

So far put 50rnds thru it, shot fine.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I am a retired gunsmith and gun seller. I like Taurus revolvers, and although I do not like any centerfire 9mm semi auto a lot of people love the Model 92 which is almost a virtual clone of the Beretta. Although the S&W and Colt snobs hate them, I believe I actually had fewer issues with new Taurus than S&W thru the years. Both took care of any issues anyway. I put Wolff springs in all my revolvers, and a 3" 605 is my carry gun, and a 4" 431 is my woods carry gun.

·
Registered
101 Posts
You're not in southeast VA are you??? Can always use another gunsmith around here.

Only other Taurus I have is the 709 Slim, which has been a good pistol. I see nothing wrong with their current offerings. I have a 92FS, it's nothing special to me. Also have the 709, Canik TP9SF, and FMK 9C1G2. If I could combine the best features from each gun I'd have one sweet 9mm!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I love them, I have a poly protector 38 and the judge poly public defender, while I think the judge sucks as a snake gun it goes bang every time, never an issue! I have a GX4 on order.

·
Registered
101 Posts
The ATI grip came in today and I just put it on my 856 Defender, makes a world of difference to me:

It's a 2-piece grip, with screws in the bottom, it says to reuse the pin that came with the gun but mine came with a pin for the Hogue grip and a different pin for the Taurus grip. I used the smaller of the 2, the one that came with the Hogue grip.

Putting the grip in place is easy, but putting the 6 small inserts in is anything but. The 2 bottom and 2 middle inserts went in fine, once I figured out which ones went where. But the 2 top inserts are the PITAs...and you MUST use them to keep the grip from moving.

I got one of the top inserts in without too much trouble, just have to squeeze the life out of the grip to get things lined up. But the other top insert...I had to use a pair of channel locks (-10 sp) and a few new cuss words to get it in so it would lock everything up tight. Once in the grip feels secure and doesn't move. There is a small space/hole between the grip and the frame, not sure why but there's no play whatsoever once the inserts are put in place.

This grip definitely improves the way it fills my hand and I don't think I have big hands, plus my pinky doesn't hang off anymore. Comfortable and grippy.

The inserts are those 3 slim, smooth-looking strips you see towards the front edge of the grip. They're curved and have tabs on them and different sizes so make sure you orient them correctly.

If anyone feels they need a larger grip, give the ATI grip a try. For under $30 it's just what I wanted.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I have my eye on a Judge...shot someone's at the range and it was soooo much fun!
I had one, and I do not recommend them. They really hold no advantage over a regular pistol. 410 shot shells are under powered, do not pattern good, and it makes the pistol longer. The 410 shells loaded with discs and balls, do not have very good power for sufficient penetration IMO.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The ATI grip came in today and I just put it on my 856 Defender, makes a world of difference to me:

View attachment 244298

View attachment 244299

View attachment 244300

View attachment 244301

It's a 2-piece grip, with screws in the bottom, it says to reuse the pin that came with the gun but mine came with a pin for the Hogue grip and a different pin for the Taurus grip. I used the smaller of the 2, the one that came with the Hogue grip.

Putting the grip in place is easy, but putting the 6 small inserts in is anything but. The 2 bottom and 2 middle inserts went in fine, once I figured out which ones went where. But the 2 top inserts are the PITAs...and you MUST use them to keep the grip from moving.

I got one of the top inserts in without too much trouble, just have to squeeze the life out of the grip to get things lined up. But the other top insert...I had to use a pair of channel locks (-10 sp) and a few new cuss words to get it in so it would lock everything up tight. Once in the grip feels secure and doesn't move. There is a small space/hole between the grip and the frame, not sure why but there's no play whatsoever once the inserts are put in place.

This grip definitely improves the way it fills my hand and I don't think I have big hands, plus my pinky doesn't hang off anymore. Comfortable and grippy.

The inserts are those 3 slim, smooth-looking strips you see towards the front edge of the grip. They're curved and have tabs on them and different sizes so make sure you orient them correctly.

If anyone feels they need a larger grip, give the ATI grip a try. For under $30 it's just what I wanted.
Cool looking grips, maybe if I get tired of my wood ones and go for a different look I might get a pair of these.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts