punching bag questions

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by roosterjuicer, Apr 10, 2009.

1. roosterjuicer

roosterjuicer New Member

I have been kicking around the idea of getting a punching bag for quite some time now. does anyone here know anything about them?

I'd like to get a decent "hanging" bag but i cant put it up in my garage because of space constraints and my basement is finished. I would probably just put it in the corner of my office on a stand, but those stands are pretty spendy and seem like they take a bit of room.

are those water filled floor punching bags any good? cause i think they are cheaper and might be easier to deal with in my house.

do they leak? do they fall over a lot? would i just be better off with a normal bag and a stand?

2. Spanz

Spanz New Member

3. WDB

WDB New Member

The sand bag is far better than a water bag due to the density of sand compared to water. I can't help you with the stands, never used one, my bag is in the garage in a corner. When I want to hit the bag I pull the car out and go at it.

4. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

I've had an 80 lb Everlast bag in the tree of my back yard for 18yrs. I love being able to workout the stress of the day. But here I have very good weather most of the time. Never tried the slam man stand ups but they look like fun. I think you could use sand in the base if your worried about leaks, but getting the sand out for moving the bag could be a pain.

5. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

The free standing bags slide all over the place, or falls over depending on how hard you hit.

I'd go with a hanging bag, but a free standing is better than no bag. fill it with sand and use planks for the base to keep it from going everywhere.

6. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

I had one that looked like a clown but had to get rid of it because clowns scare me.

7. .22hustler

.22hustler New Member

I worked out on a Everlast 80lb bag for quite awhile. Just make sure your wrists are taped. It's easy to break one if you're a hard hitter.I'm not a George Foreman by any means, but can hit hard, and even with my wrists and knuckles taped, it can hurt.

8. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

Dislike the free standing bags. Unless you have someone behind it, they will tip with hard shots.

The frames you can put in a corner are rugged enough, If you have the space.

I have seen the water filled base bags crack, and then you have the puddle from hell to contend with.

9. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

My 80# Century Bag was in the garage, hung from one of the 2X6 stringers in the ceiling framing. I filled small plastic garbage bags with sand then stuffed rags around them to make the bag a little softer. That didn't work as the rags compacted and became just as hard as the sand. I think if I did it again, I would use dried pinto beans or Navy beans around the sand bags.

I do know it made one hell of a noise throughout the entire house when I was pounding away at it!! :D

10. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

That's actually supposed to be an old Muay Thai training technique. They'd fill a bag with rags, pour sand in the top, then start kicking. The sand would filter down, then they'd add more. The bag would get progressively stiffer and harder, and this would supplement tree kicking.

11. Scrapper

Scrapper New Member

A hanging bag will always be superior to a free standing bag. Free standing bags slide all over the place.

A hanging bag doesn't have to take up a lot of room either. I recommend an everlast or comparable heavy bag of at least 60-80 pounds. Hang it from any sturdy beam in your garage.

I also recommend Bas Rutten's all-araound fighting workouts on CD. Hitting the bag is great, but without someone calling out combos and exercises, it can be hard to push yourself. Trying to keep up with Bas will force you to develop speed and rhythm, rather than just bashing away.

It is a fantastic workout and lots of fun. I haven't had a sanctioned fight in 3 years, but I still do my heavy bag work religiously. It's a great investment in your own physical and psychological health!