Pump vs. Semi-auto

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by PeteZaHut, Apr 17, 2011.

1. PeteZaHut

PeteZaHut New Member

Are there any advantages to a pump over semi-auto? Obviously, semi-autos can fire quicker. I have also heard they have less recoil because they put some energy into chambering the next round. And let's exclude the "pump-action sound can scare away home invaders" argument.

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Well, if you are in PA, you cannot use a semi for hunting. Pump, bolt, lever, yes. Auto, no. A practiced shooter with a pump can be DAMNED fast, but I must admit, I have RARELY missed a bird clean on the first shot, and got it on the second- but have picked off a few doubles.

3. wmille01

wmille01 New Member

cheaper, less parts, it helps me keep count of shots, I somtimes get too trigger happy with semi auto only to be dissapointed from the epic click of an empty gun.

4. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Pumps will work everytime given they are properly taken care of and lubed. In colder temps, the semis can fail where the pumps will not. If waterfowl hunting in sub-freezing temps, the semis can fail. A pump will only fire one when one is chambered through the pump action. Semis can and have been known to fire more than one with one pull of the trigger. Not a common occurance by any means, but I have never heard of a pump going off more than once per pull of the trigger.

5. oli700

oli700 New Member

For me its easyer to transition to a slug with a pump

6. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

And another excellent + for the pump. :)

No matter what the OP decides, practice, practice, practice.

Learn it, love it, live it. :D

7. fireguy

fireguy New Member

Winchester Model 12 and the 97, will shoot with the trigger depressed and held everytime the gun is racked and closed.

8. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Interesting. Still, I'm confident you know what I meant. So one pull of the trigger in a pump that cycles as fast as the operator vs. the same in an auto loader?

You know where I can get a Win Mod 12 or 97 for a good price? :D

Btw, *thumbs up*

9. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

I do not feel there are any advantages to a good pump over a good semi. If you start talking cheap, the pump wins because human muscle can overcome manufacturing flaws.
    The cold weather argument hold no water if the shooter knows what they are doing. Modern synthetic lubricants do not jell in cold temps.
    I shoot both, depending on my mood. Go with whichever you prefer and you can be happy.

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

semi auto shotguns can be tempermental in switching weight of the shell this is mainly in gas operated models. can be a pita.

my personal preference is double barrel or pump. i just dont like the aggrevation factor of semi auto shotguns. mainly cuz im not really a fan of shotguns in general. so not a lot of effort is put into the intricacies. i just want it to work the few times a year i bring one out of the gun safe.

11. hogrider

hogrider New Member

Something you don't think of to start with but a pump is cheaper to fix if/when it does fail to function. I had a Remington 870 that stopped ejecting the spend hulls. I got it back from the gunsmith for 35 dollars. I don't think you can do that with an auto but I may be wrong. Would seem the fewer parts mentioned earlier had a hand in the cheap fix. That plus an honest smith! I was prepare to spend as much as a 100 bucks.

12. Wambli

Wambli New Member

With all due respect some of the comments agains autos I've read here are a bit dated. Modern autos are easily as reliable as any pump out there. Even the very cost effective Stoeger 2000 is a heck of a gun and the exmple I owned ran flawlessly with everything from trap loads to turkey and waterfowl loads for 5 years straight without me cleaning it once (I just oiled it every time I went out). I treated it this way because it wanted to see what it would take to make the gun stop working. The answer was that it just never did.

My old 1100s and Brownig A5 can be a little picky if not maintained right but I'll keep them because they've been in the family for a while and I love them, but when I head out the door and need 100% I grab my Beretta 391 Teknys and never look back.

Like someone pointed out with a modern design and modern lubricants there is no reason why an auto should not work as advertised 100% of the time.

As far as "less recoil" it depends. The gas guns like the Beretta do have a little less punch, but the inertia models like the Stoeger and Benelli hit you about the same.

13. Wambli

Wambli New Member

Not trying to be contentious, just wondering why? The way I see it you insert the slug into the magazine and rack the bolt or eject the shell in the chamber and clear the chamber of the next shell and throw the slug in there for either gun. Actually many auto guns have a mag cutoff that allows you to eject the round in the chamber without the next one in the mag coming out. Not sure how it would be different/easier...

14. oli700

oli700 New Member

I go right for the chamber with the first slug. So if I have a fully loaded pump I simply open the chamber ejecting the chambered round, turn the gun over and the round in the lifter falls out of the ejection port. Throw a slug in the chamber and slam the action shut all in the same motion , index another slug and put it in the mag tube, now you have two slugs ready all done from the shoulder in firing position. Quicker than it sounds. Even if the gun is not full I go right for the chamber to cut out the middle man. I didnt really take this tread as a pissing mach between pump and auto I just simply stated one reason I like pumps…I have auto and like it too
    So what you are saying is you can transition to a slug easier or just as easy with a semi , one hand being tied up holding the bolt back? Or cycle the bolt, put a shell in the mag, cycle the bolt again to load the slug and then put another shell in the mag tube? I might be able to from the shoulder with a Galil style bolt handle but still wouldn’t be as efficient FOR ME

15. Wambli

Wambli New Member

Never meant for it to be a pissing match either, just asking. Every auto I have has some way of holding an open bolt so for a full gun if I need to change ammo I just eject the shell in the chamber while locking the bolt back, thow the needed round in a release the bolt. Simple enough but I agree there is one less step with a pump. Cheers!

16. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Nope, no advantages with a pump.

Get a semi.

17. oli700

oli700 New Member

Ahh, my auto wont hold the bolt back untill the last shot ..Cheers back

Last edited: Apr 24, 2011
  18. oli700

oli700 New Member

Now that’s some solid advice, virtual fountain of information! Thanks for the contribution

19. wmille01

wmille01 New Member

the only things I like about pumps most of the time there cheaper, less moving parts, are few of the old semi autos kick like mules.

20. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Hey, the OP obviously wants a semi.

Very obviously, pumps are simpler, cheaper, lighter, and less prone to breakdown.

Who are we to piss on his parade? What are we supposed to say here?

"Well, the kanootin' pin on a semi shows wear after 500 rounds of magnum,

and their inventor's mom wore army boots."...?

Fine, screw it, yanno what, OP? Get a pump.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2011