Pump v auto home defence

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by Davyboy, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Davyboy

Davyboy New Member

The sound of reloading a pump is awesome and IMHO lulls people into a false sense of security. It can take just over a second to cross a 20ft room. Take into account reaction time you would be lucky to get off 1 shot with a pump. A good modern reliable auto would increase fire power to up to 5. Purists may spout reliability and maybe 50 years ago that may have been an argument. Given the miss fire rate of most modern semi auto shotguns give me auto every time. Comments and opinions please.

2. 25-5

25-5 New Member

The first sound is the first shot a sound that is awesome and final. Then comes the sound of reloading. And as awesome as that is only you can hear it.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2012

3. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

The only sound an intruder might hear from me would be the click of the safety. I would have no trouble with a semi or a pump or a SxS. I do not expect a truckload of zombies. One shot, one kill.

4. Davyboy

Davyboy New Member

Speed and fire power is what I am talking about

5. RemFire

RemFire New Member

Well, probably not actually, I've never tried firing a shotgun in a house, but from shooting near buildings and walls I'm guessing the blast of a shotgun in a small room is going to leave you pretty deaf for a minute or two?.

I sometimes wonder how that would work out for you in a situation where you need all your senses working A1. It would be ok if it was one shot - job done, but what if you miss first time?, what if there’s more than one threat?. But that’s another subject I guess.

One other thing for the semi, if you get shot in the arm at least you can still run the gun one handed pretty efficiently !.:D

I’ve got two semi’s but if things were bad enough to have one for home defense, I'd just be sure to keep it clean and loaded with good ammo, then I wouldn't worry to much about stoppages.

6. rifleman1

rifleman1 New Member

iv actually shot inside of a house both a shot gun and a handgun just to see the effects it would have on me,it was defening and the flash from the revolver i used could temporaly somwhat blind you.
    i tried it because the house was on my familys property and was being tore down if you use a gun for home defense to me this is a good way to know what your going to experience.
    my choice though is the pump just personal prefrence.

7. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

If someone has the money for 2 home defense shotguns (I'm not counting the duck gun), it would be good to get one of each. However, if only one, like me, I'd much rather have a pump. In SHTF scenarios, there is sooooo much less that can go wrong with a pump, long term.

Tell us a good semi-auto 12-gauge that isn't $1000!

8. ellis36

ellis36 Well-Known Member Supporter

I think a lot depends on which one is most natural for you. For instance, for me the semi is the one I use the most and so I find myself having to remember to rack the slide on the pump. And there is a 'feel' for racking the slide fully so it cycles completely that I personally don't have and would be concerned that in a threat situation I might jam it. So it's the 1100 or the 935 for me. But I do keep one in the pipe.

None of mine cost $1000, but they have never failed to go 'boom' when I squeezed the trigger….and never failed to cycle through every shell in the tube.

9. 25-5

25-5 New Member

10. orangello

orangello New Member

The reason my pump shotgun is within my reach when i'm asleep is that i am confident in my ability to use it while startled, falling, lying in bed, or dazed. I have used this very shotgun while so cold i was afraid to fall asleep in the stand. I have had it since 1995; it has earned my trust. If i ever reach the point when my XD45 is as comfortable, i might put it on the night stand as well, but until then it must languish in the safe. If i was a younger person who grew up hunting waterfowl and was more comfortable with a semi-auto shotty, then it would be beside the bed, loaded and waiting.

Not being as "up to date" on the semi's, i am not familiar with the "security" models. I find myself wondering how a shorter barrel would affect cycling on the semi's. My pump was not affected by the barrel swap to an 18.5" security barrel (bird barrel in the safe).

11. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

When I shot skeet all the time I could shoot a pump so fast you couldn't count the shots. Trick shooters routinely shoot pumps so fast you can't count the shots. So the part about auto's being faster is a myth. That being said it takes a lot of practice to shoot aimed shots so quickly they can't be counted. When I was on top of my game I was shooting 800 rounds a week.

Really it comes down to what you are comfortable shooting. But the pump is a superior weapon it just takes a lot more practice. The average shooter need to shoot 200 rounds a month with a pump to keep his timing perfect. Skeet are in range of home defense guns and skeet are perfect practice for home defense. Try to shoot off spring traps at 35 mph. Shooting off air traps at 55 to 70 mph is not helpful for home defense nor are they fun for the uninitiated. Use AA #9 shot to boost your score. You only need to break the skeet, not kill it.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  12. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

The sound of the bolt closing on a semi is an attention getter as well. Though to get it you have to have the bolt locked back with a shell ready to load. I have both pump and semi, both were well under $1000 (Mossy 500 and 795). Never had a failure on either one.

13. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

I dunno about you all but the click of a revolver locking up would scare me. I am perfectly happy with the number of holes god gave me.

14. RemFire

RemFire New Member

Thanks, guessed so!. Funny actually, I just came across a vid by James Yeager (sp), where he suggests active ear protectors or a suppressor to go with a HD gun, because like I thought, your hearing is obviously something you want to keep working in that kind of situation. One example he gave was being able to communicate with family members etc.

15. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

Stoeger M2000 or M3500

16. orangello

orangello New Member

Are these available with shorter "security" barrels? Would that affect their operation/cycling?

17. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

I know the M2000 is offered with an 18.5" and pistol grip. Not sure on the 3500. And I believe Mr Wray has the 2000 with a short barrel

18. Davyboy

Davyboy New Member

I can crack off a 3 shot burst in .5 of a second in a confined space it gives me confidence and that is what it is all about being confident with your chosen weapon.

19. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Davyboy,

Only some additional thoughts! Unless I have missed something regarding the state of the load of the shotgun. I was assuming from your comment that you were talking about the Semi-Auto Shotgun that has a round in the chamber. So with that we could assume that the pump gun was chambered also. If not we could presume you would have to pull the Charging Lever back on the Semi-Auto to load it first as you would have to Rack the Slide on the Pump Gun. In that case form experience I would have to say that I have had less loading issues with the pump comparing it to the Remington 870 Pump compared to that of the initial loading of the Semi-Auto Model 1100 and other Semis. The Charging Lever must be pulled completely to the rear and let go home on it's own. And we all know that when it comes to Murphy in a critical situation he is truly alive and well !! Realizing that ones fine motor skills goes out the window when in a life threatening situation. So the correct operation of the Charging Lever which in most cases are small and need to be operated with the fingers. (Fine Motor Skill is to use the fingers as well as locate the lever under stress and be sure you pull it back all the way smoothly and correctly.) could be an issue. The Pump Gun utilizes major muscle functions which normally work better in these situations. Then one other issue is that a person who has trained with his pump shotgun can usually make as many "accurate and controlled" shots as a person with a semi-auto due to recovery time needed to achieve an accurate and controlled shot after recoil. I guess it boils down to personal preference but just wanted to share some mind jogging thoughts.
    By the way I like my Semi-Auto Shotguns also. I LIKE GUNS! I DO! I DO! I DO!

20. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Which ever the shooter is most comfortable with. Run what ya brung and get familiar with keeping it running if you run into a problem.