pump or double?

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by Ray_Ray, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Ray_Ray

Ray_Ray New Member

A buddy and i have had a long discussion about shot guns. He is a double barrel supporter and I favor the pump. What do y'all like better?

2. bige91603

bige91603 New Member

The question is what task are you going to use them for? Imo pump is a better over all design, the capability to switch barrels and have multiple rounds in the tube is always a plus but then for skeet or trap I would have to lean towards the double because there is no wasted motion added from pumping the action. Both are amazing designs that have with stood the test of time and One is not better than the other, its all preference and choosing the right tool for the job

3. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Pump. Easier to fix if anything fails.

4. Seven

Seven New Member

Generally 5 > 2.

5. cottontop

cottontop Guest

There is nothing like a fine well balanced double. A double just has an esthetic value that cannot be duplicated in a mass produced, ugly, rattly, created for the masses pump gun. It's like comparing the proverbial sow's ear to the silk purse. But, beauty and function is in the eye and hands of the beholder. What one likes, another one won't. I don't understand it but I accept it. I will not bird hunt with nothing but a fine side by side nor will I shoot clays with nothing but a fine over/under. Life is too short to have it any other way.
    cottontop

6. tonydewar

tonydewar New Member

7. akers06

akers06 New Member

I'm a semi auto guy

8. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i like them all for different reasons. the pump, just because of it's versatility and multiple shell capacity. the semi auto for some of the same reasons, plus just sometimes easier, because i don't have to pump it. the SxS, just classic old time western appeal and John Wayne used them! the O/U, classic refinement in shotguns that says class and style.

9. tonydewar

tonydewar New Member

the sxs i think of classic english and a gentalman. the o/u is the jock the comp gun. enjoy our thoughts while we can the 870 and 500 zombie killers be invading this thred soon

10. akers06

akers06 New Member

Lmao ain't that the truth

11. Eddy_J

Eddy_J New Member

I bought my 500 for zombies!!!! Lol jk jk, got it for HD. And I love that shotty and also gonna get a Remmy 870 just cause I found one with a Super Magnum receiver for $350 ^^ But a side by side, I do want one just cause of that classy feeling ya folks are on about. But I know nothing of side by sides and 2 of my buddies had their own and swore by them. One of them was a skeet shooter and the other had it for fun and they're classic. Now this thread has got me thinking of my 3rd shotgun after getting that Remmy. Who should I buy manufacturer wise for quality? I like to save up and buy when I have enough for what I'm aiming for, I try not to shop on a budget. Any suggestions? I also like them American made please, if possible not made out of country.

12. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

believe it or not, i still have a soft spot for bolt action shotguns! they are just pretty dang sweet to shoot and fun as hell.

13. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

Classic SXS

Why choose, I have and use both.

There is just something about a good SXS that makes it a classic. The wide sighting plane is unique and for hunting, the double triggers mean you have instant choke or load selection. Most are IC/M or traditionally M/F.

Although when it rains, I hunt w an Syn 870.

14. Ray_Ray

Ray_Ray New Member

Bolt action shot gun? Don't think I have ever seen one of those.

15. JonM

JonM Moderator

They are for slug hunting and typically rifled. Some are used for goose hunting and are often found in 10ga or bigger bore. You come across them in the upper midwest and states where centerfire rifle is illegal for hunting.

16. mattybock

mattybock New Member

depends on the purpose.
    hunting - side by side, all nostagic and such.
    home defence - pump for the extra chances.

i don't care for over unders.

17. Big-Nasty

Big-Nasty New Member

I prefer pumps myself. I've just always loved the look and the feel of a good pump shotgun. But I do like side by sides for the classic western look and over and unders for their fancy tone. I have a bolt action 16 guage. It's a Mossberg model 190 K-A. Great shotgun, was my dads first shotgun when he was very young. My great uncle had bought it when
    my dad was a couple years old. Then he gave it to my dad when he was around 12. This gun has been all over the mountain behind my mom and dads place. It has a 2 round mag and adjustable choke.

ForumRunner_20120607_155848.jpg

Attached Files:

18. phildenton

phildenton New Member

Not true. Used to be many many made smoothbore. I inherited a savage. 410 bolt action. It was use by my grandpa in the 50's to put squirrel and rabbit in the stew pot, and possibly deer with slugs, but i dont know bevause he died before i could ask. I know 410 slugs are plenty powerful at short range (comparable to 44 mag) and still legal in some places.

19. tomgodd

tomgodd Active Member

I have a revelation my grandfather gave me. It is a 20 ga. Love it.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2012
  20. unclebear

unclebear New Member

I like pump shotguns with an 870 style action for defense/ zombie problems, but I want to get a side by side for hunting birds just because you have a quicker follow up shot then say a pump with less movement. We'll that and I want to sit on my front porch smoking my pipe with it across my lap.