Firearms Talk banner
41 - 57 of 57 Posts
You would have to be a very fine marksman for the difference in accuracy of the two types to make a significant difference. I am of the opinion that most deer, shot at "500 yards," if the distance was measured, would be closer to 100, than 500. The distance, weight and point count grow with the telling.

Reactions: 303tom
Discussion starter · #44 ·
All of the deer I have shot in over 30 years has been under 300 yards. But I would like to know how mine groups at 500 yards just to see. I have a buddy that I hunt with that has bean fields and you never know when that buck of a life time will step out passed my 300 yard range that I've shot. So I would like to know how my gun is gonna do

The question now is can you see a 6" target at 500 yards well enough to hit it? If you need glass, Natchez has some good buys right now if the sale is still going. I am no expert on shooting long distance but I do know you cant hit what you cant see.
http://www.natchezss.com/

Discussion starter · #46 ·
The question now is can you see a 6" target at 500 yards well enough to hit it? If you need glass, Natchez has some good buys right now if the sale is still going. I am no expert on shooting long distance but I do know you cant hit what you cant see.
I got the glass. I got the Nikon Monarch 5.5x16.5-44 I can see pretty good

Actually one of my current hobbies is guessing distances, then pacing them off to see how far off I was.
Im always way off on up-hill and lateral down-hill distances.
So far some of my guesses have been off by as much as 40%.
Mind you Im guessing distances.
I remember running the 440 in highschool track now days its the 400 meters, stretch out that lap on the track out as a straight line and you will find a deck of paying cards is mighty small.

So through trial and error Im improving.

Hell Id be happay as a clam if I could hit a 5 gallon pail at 500 yds (off hand). :D

As for pump or bolt?
The one thing I could mention is the pump may fit a family of left and right handed shooters if your limited to having a single deer rifle.

Didnt Savage make a model 170 30-30 win pump?

I used to hunt chucks a lot. My yardage estimation got quite good.
Now that I don't..........is that 250 or 300 yards?
LOL

As for 760 recoil............had one in .30-06. Buttplate. 150gr Coreloks. Bought it in 2004.
Heard the horror stories. T shirt............boom. Ya gotta be kidding me. Really? Boom.

Boom shucka boom. Smooth and no big deal.

But then I am 5' 11" and 175#.........or was then. Add about 10. Still not fat/flabby........so no intermediate sliding surface. Guns fit, stay planted........and don't hurt.

It it doesn't fit.........you're gonna get sore. Not gonna shoot very well either.
Shame so many old rifles got bubba recoil pad installs.
Still haven't checked on the 760 .35 rem that's for sale nearby. Maybe after yote hunting with the owner this weekend. He's got 3 (only two can I pick from LOL).
Prefer 7600 but they cost twice as much.
Later 760 over earlier like he has.........but see what the price is.

Hunting chucks, my long D yardage guessing was very good.
Got into 3D archery............got short range fine increment yardage down pat......the long D stuff went to crap.
Now I don't shoot 3D.
We got HP rifle for deer a couple yrs ago here, before then it was MZ, SG, HG and PCR.......so pretty much a 200 yard and in game.

Had a decent buck at 275 two yrs ago, when toting a .243 win.
Alas.............the property line (fence row- removed) was 250.
He followed the doe back from where they came.

Was prone, picked beans, solid as a rock (4X).
Gotta be on my side to pop 'em.
Know the other guy.........and who farms our side also farms his.
But without explicit permission..........no shot.

I had a big yote run out opening day, by my vehicle (parked off the road)and stop...........75 yards. Dunno who farms that field (other side of road) so let it go.

I have permission for the thicket/field. Max shot is 250 yds.
A pump rifle would be perfect for that place.
If a branch snagged a bullet a fast followup could save the day.
It's thick along the creek bottom.
Scopes being above the bore, magnification making some stuff fuzz out......might not have the first shot make it there even if you think it open.
Not saying repeaters make for sloppy shooting.........you don't shoot critters unless you think it a one shot deal.
But sometimes things happen and a quick 2nd shot is nice to have.
Consider it insurance.

I blew a shot on an 8 pt once. Heard him running does in pines for over half an hour, no shot. When all of a sudden he pops into a clearing, on edge of where I could shoot safely.
25 ft up in a stand, had to get on tip toes to clear branch..........and my trigger finger became a crowbar. NEVER done that. EVER. But I sure did right then and there. Recoil had the pump gun cycle as I cussed myself. 2nd shot dropped him Was an 870.

Only shot I flubbed w shotgun.

Still kinda burns my arse. 23 yrs ago.

The newer materials/designs take more thump out........but some look like crap.
I like the looks and feel of the older style pads.....Remington vented Magnum.
Proly same as the old Pachys.

Had the new R3 or whatever it's called. Felt funky to me.

My 870 Supermag has vented older material pad (synth stock).
I need another to change my 1100 synths.
They don't run R3s..........but are non vented.
Like the looks of the vented...........grew up seeing/shooting those rigs.
Like walnut too........but am tired of babying my stuff (maybe too careful- look like new yrs later). I have progressed to synth, but I still want an old style pad ;)
And yes, I might film dip a stock set in woodgrain.

Might have to find out what target size/shape will allow him a decent aiming point with whatever scope he has.

Actually one of my current hobbies is guessing distances, then pacing them off to see how far off I was.
Im always way off on up-hill and lateral down-hill distances.
So far some of my guesses have been off by as much as 40%.
Mind you Im guessing distances.
I remember running the 440 in highschool track now days its the 400 meters, strech out that lap on the track as a straight line and a deck of aying cards is mighty small.

So through trial and error Im improving.

Hell Id be happay as a clam if I could hit a 5 gallon pail at 500 yds (off hand). :D

As for pump or bolt?
The one thing I could mention is the pump may fit a family of left and right handed shooters if your limited to having a single deer rifle.

Didnt Savage make a model 170 30-30 win pump?
Mine to, I spent 3 years in the army guesstimating distances !..........13 Foxtrot...........For those of you who don't know, that is a Forward Observer.............

41 - 57 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.