Firearms Talk banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts
Nothing in my eyes. But I want to shoot 500 yards with it and my buddies are saying mine want do it because it's a pump and not a bolt action
I think part of it also stems for the possible shifting of zero, that folks perceive, as it is possible, with shotgunsb with take off barrels, so they assume (and we all know what that breaks down to) that the same goes with rifles.

you have taken the time to match the round with the rifle, which most folks don't do, which makes a huge difference in accuracy and performance (Nice group BTW.) For the cost to get a BA with that kind of accuracy, and consistency, you would have to drop a decent ***** fo money on it, and to go out past 500 yards, on optics as well.

Personally, I see no reason, as long as you have a good rest to set it on, that you couldn't push 500 yards out of the rifle you already have, with the ammunition you are using, and get the same results as you are getting now.

in my eccletic gathering of firearms there are a Remington 740, 760, and a 750 Woodsmaster, in .30-06 for the 740 and 760, and .243 on the 750. The first two like a 180 grain bullet for the best performance, and the .243 LOVES 90 grain rounds.

And all 3 will shoot MOA out at 500 yards, when I do my part, and on a REALLY Great day, sub MOA, so it can be done with rifles other than BA.

Average on my groups is usually between 1.25 to 1.5 MOA, with all three rifles. Given that the 760 is mainly a hunting rifle, I tend to think in Minute of Deer instead of MOA. The 740 and 750, may becone hunting rifles again (they were in NY), as the state has just started allowing semis for small game, so the 750 will soon be a groundhog and coyote rifle again, but the 740 is still just a range toy.

It's kind of like my friends who have ARs and AKs giving me s*** about the fact that I us M1 platform rifles and carbines. No, it's not the latest and greatest, but when you can use it as well, or better than they can their "tacticool, decked out" MSRs, it tends to shut the critics down, quick.

Show them up at the range with your "Inaccurate" PA rifle a few times, and they will learn.

Nothing in my eyes. But I want to shoot 500 yards with it and my buddies are saying mine want do it because it's a pump and not a bolt action
You don't know until you try. The bullet is inanimate as does not care what type of rifle from which it launched. The target, deer, paper, steel gong, etc. will not know the difference between a bolt, pump, single shot or auto-shucker.

Blast away and see if you can bang a gong.

Practice before trying to shoot a deer, maybe a 'yote will give you a chance.

Discussion starter · #25 ·
I think part of it also stems for the possible shifting of zero, that folks perceive, as it is possible, with shotgunsb with take off barrels, so they assume (and we all know what that breaks down to) that the same goes with rifles.

you have taken the time to match the round with the rifle, which most folks don't do, which makes a huge difference in accuracy and performance (Nice group BTW.) For the cost to get a BA with that kind of accuracy, and consistency, you would have to drop a decent ***** fo money on it, and to go out past 500 yards, on optics as well.

Personally, I see no reason, as long as you have a good rest to set it on, that you couldn't push 500 yards out of the rifle you already have, with the ammunition you are using, and get the same results as you are getting now.

in my eccletic gathering of firearms there are a Remington 740, 760, and a 750 Woodsmaster, in .30-06 for the 740 and 760, and .243 on the 750. The first two like a 180 grain bullet for the best performance, and the .243 LOVES 90 grain rounds.

And all 3 will shoot MOA out at 500 yards, when I do my part, and on a REALLY Great day, sub MOA, so it can be done with rifles other than BA.

Average on my groups is usually between 1.25 to 1.5 MOA, with all three rifles. Given that the 760 is mainly a hunting rifle, I tend to think in Minute of Deer instead of MOA. The 740 and 750, may becone hunting rifles again (they were in NY), as the state has just started allowing semis for small game, so the 750 will soon be a groundhog and coyote rifle again, but the 740 is still just a range toy.

It's kind of like my friends who have ARs and AKs giving me s*** about the fact that I us M1 platform rifles and carbines. No, it's not the latest and greatest, but when you can use it as well, or better than they can their "tacticool, decked out" MSRs, it tends to shut the critics down, quick.

Show them up at the range with your "Inaccurate" PA rifle a few times, and they will learn.
As soon as the weather gets pretty here, I'm gonna get on the edge of the bean field and Mark off every 100 yards with flagging and stretch it out to 500 and see how it does

Discussion starter · #26 ·
You don't know until you try. The bullet is inanimate as does not care what type of rifle from which it launched. The target, deer, paper, steel gong, etc. will not know the difference between a bolt, pump, single shot or auto-shucker.

Blast away and see if you can bang a gong.

Practice before trying to shoot a deer, maybe a 'yote will give you a chance.
I'm gonna practice for sure. But I'm curious to see how it's gonna group at 500. I'm actually excited to try and see

I had one in 270 that was accurate but that is about all I can say nice about it. The recoil was horrible and it was easy to short stroke. Trigger sucked as well. That said I know a lot of folks who love them and would turn down a mint of money for them.

Since your pump action in 280 Remington is that accurate I’d stay with it. I’d never part wit it.

Most of the time I see 1 1/2” groups at 100yds.

My ‘94 Remington 700 in 338wm will put two bullets through the same hole taking out the “X” at 100yds using new Winchester super X ammo. It’s very rare to see this kind of accuracy with store bought ammo.

Discussion starter · #35 ·
Since your pump action in 280 Remington is that accurate I’d stay with it. I’d never part wit it.

Most of the time I see 1 1/2” groups at 100yds.

My ‘94 Remington 700 in 338wm will put two bullets through the same hole taking out the “X” at 100yds using new Winchester super X ammo. It’s very rare to see this kind of accuracy with store bought ammo.
I've had a few people tell me they can't believe it shoots that good with factory ammo. But those Winchester 140 Silver Ballistic tips are the only ones it likes. The other 4 brands I shot wasn't terrible but nothing to brag about. I got luck for sure

To shoot longer accurate shots I’d get a scope with BDC that’s bullet drop compisation your dope the scope by the top turret to the distance your shooting using a range finder. All my hunting rifles have this feature. There sighted in at 100/150yds and the turret goes out too 450/500 yards with no error.

The 140gr bullets is about right.

Reactions: David_Ray
View attachment 180955 This is mine. 3 shot group shooting a Factory 140 Winchester Silver Ballistic tip.
Do your buddies shoot better than this with their bolt actions?

Whatever man... I never needed a reason to buy another weapon.

Bolt, slide, auto loader, breech, they are all awesome.

Shoot what you want (except in NY) when you want.
God, I love the United States of America.

My basic hunting battery for a long time was the Gamemaster, Fieldmaster, and Wingmaster. 30-06, 22LR, and 12 gauge respectively. Inlost them in the rear fire of '99. My Gamemaster was a 760. I would still be tooling on worth these had they not burnt up.I don't honestly know the difference between it and the 7600, but I am sure they are similar.

The Gamemaster is an inherently accurate rifle. On par with the 700. Two caveats. 1, don't let the barrel heat, it is a shorter contour. 2, don't let the slide rest against the barrel as it does have some wobble. The Gamemaster barrel is completely free floating. The group you posted is proof enough of that.

The only reason I can think of where there is a handicap when compared to a bolt action is strength. The 760 will not handle loads as hot as the 700. It just does not have the camming power. So you could be operating with as much as a 200 fps disparity which can make a difference at extended range.

The Gamemaster bolt has a dozen or so lugs that lock into the receiver. It's plenty strong, uwst not as strong as a bolt. My #12 Speer manual says to only use starting loads because of this. A guick look at this manual shows 2976 fps with a max charge of IMR4831 pushing a 145 grain bullet, 2765 fps with a minimum load of the same powder.

Discussion starter · #39 ·
My basic hunting battery for a long time was the Game after, Fieldmaster, and Wingmaster. 30-06, 22LR, and 12 gauge respectively. Inlost them in the rear fire of '99. My Gamemaster was a 760. I would still be tooling on worth these had they not burnt up.I don't honestly know the difference between it and the 7600, but I am sure they are similar.

The Gamemaster is an inherently accurate rifle. On par with the 700. Two caveats. 1, don't let the barrel heat, it is a shorter contour. 2, don't let the slide rest against the barrel as it does have some wobble. The Gamemaster barrel is completely free floating. The group you posted is proof enough of that.

The only reason I can think of where there is a handicap when compared to a bolt action is strength. The 760 will not handle loads as hot as the 700. It just does not have the camming power. So you could be operating with as much as a 200 fps disparity which can make a difference at extended range.

The Gamemaster bolt has a dozen or so lugs that lock into the receiver. It's plenty strong, uwst not as strong as a bolt. My #12 Speer manual says to only use starting loads because of this. A guick look at this manual shows 2976 fps with a max charge of IMR4831 pushing a 145 grain bullet, 2765 fps with a minimum load of the same powder.
Thanks for the input

I have put the smack down on some hogs this season with my 7600 pump. That 280 is on the money. I don't shoot paper or long distances with it. 500 is my max, but people are saying I need a bolt action to do that. I don't see why myself. If my pump is not slinging bullets all over the place it's doing it's job. But people are always saying get a bolt action it's better.
The group you posted is indeed impressive for any rifle in any configuration. But as you said it happened with one type of bullet/ammo. It is not really difficult to try enough different brands of ammo/bullets and fid one or two that will shoot well out of a hunting gun, anyone can do that. And for some casual shooting at 500 yards just about any rifle/ammo that will do MOA will give you all the satisfaction you need as long as you have the optics needed to get there consistently. And if it's a known non variable distance just about any scope will do.

On the other hand a dedicated long range rifle is usually a precision built machine that will usually give you sub-MOA groups with just about any quality ammo you run through it because it is built to very tight tolerances. It is usually paired up with optics that will easily and REPETITIVELY adjust for windage and drop so you don't have to use Kentucky windage to hit a target and can zero on the run to ANY distance from up at powder burn ranges to way past where you can see a target, and ALWAYS return to your true zero after you take the shot. This is usually not your standard hog hunting gun. Also wind will just START becoming a factor to 500 and a few hundred yards after that if you do not have your DOPE and distance dialed in real tight your bullet will miss the target completely if you are off just a few yards in your distance measurement or wind assessment

So both you and your friends are kind of right. A bolt action (set up as a Long Range precision gun) will be a better platform for dedicated long distance shooting and SHOULD BE more accurate all around with many types of quality commercial ammo. But for general hunting AND casual shooting at KNOWN distances up to 500 or so yards your setup should be fine.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.