Firearms Talk banner

Pump or Bolt Action?

3K views 56 replies 19 participants last post by  303tom 
#1 ·
I own a Remington 7600 pump 280, it almost stacks holes at 100 yards, but my buddies are saying if you want better accuracy get a bolt action. Why? What's the difference? If it's doing what you want it to do why change it. Does the bolt action perform better at longer ranges than the pump? Can somebody answer this for me, I would really love to know

#4 ·
A properly set up bolt would be inherently more accurate but if you are happy with what you have why change. The pump is faster and seems to be doing well enough so is a little more accuracy needed? If you are planning on shooting longer ranges or target shooting the bolt would have some advantages. For shorter range hunting especially on hogs the pump would have some advantages. If you shoot a pump shotgun the pump rifle is a major advantage.

Reactions: TLuker and JimRau
#6 ·
I have put the smack down on some hogs this season with my 7600 pump. That 280 is on the money. I don't shoot paper or long distances with it. 500 is my max, but people are saying I need a bolt action to do that. I don't see why myself. If my pump is not slinging bullets all over the place it's doing it's job. But people are always saying get a bolt action it's better.

#5 · (Edited)
The 7600 has a free float bbl. The trigger is usable, but often lacking. 3.5# full trigger job from http://www.remington7600.com/Gunsmith.php

You don't just slap on a bipod for long shots. And the pump mandates hand placement for the most part............they are not as adaptable as a bolt gun IMHO. They are what they are, and pretty cool.

Buddy has an older 760 for sale, I had one in '06. I'd like a last run 760 or a 7600...........in .35 rem.

I grew up shooting pump and semi auto shotguns, bolt, semi and falling block rifles............none of that matters. Run em all fine, no bobbles. Switch em up all the time too.....with way less practice now. You just pick it up and know what you have and act accordingly. Don't get this "muscle memory" stuff..............guess my belief is that the brain controls what is going on. Hadn't hunted with a #1 for about 20 yrs, popped my deer and as he came in, stood dying, got the empty out and a fresh one in without ever taking my eyes off the deer. Smooth as silk.........and no big deal.

Worked at a shop with a range...........some people pick up a gun, even after experience..........and it's a constant physical/mental battle.

Pretty sad to watch. Maybe it's comfort?

Some folks just never "get it".

Pump deer rifles have a cult like following. The 7600 is a good one.
Shoot a pile of critters with it and show all your critics the pictures :)

#7 ·
You running a stock 7600?
No trigger work and no reloads?
If so then accuracy possibly could be improved.
There is a thing called "good enough".

I'd suggest see through rings and a cheap scope............goodness you see a TON of 760/7600 and 742/7400 with such horrible setups LOL

If you are getting good groups w the 7600 bone stock.........just run it.
Bench shooting is fun, and decent practice......but hunting???

Most people suck once the bench is removed. Hear all sorts of stuff in person, and on the web about 100 yards is far, how people need shooting sticks and a rest to shoot broadside deer at that distance. Really.

If you jerk the trigger and wobble all over, and equip your rifle with funkys scope/rings.........platform doesn't matter.

If it works well for you.............KEEP IT. My 7 mag BDL was a 1.2" rifle in it's walnut stock. I was content with that. Full bedding job on my 300 mag got it to 1" w factory ammo. Was content with that. My varmint guns run half inch at 100. Current 700 in .243 win does .75 w factory ammo (moved and no reloading bench setup at new place). No chucks to hunt, just coyotes. They're big enough .75" is fine.

Funny, I like my #1 shorty (RSI) so much I've taken it for yotes. Not as much scope, not as accurate..............don't care.

It's accurate enough and I ENJOY it.

Don't let others get "in your head" and ruin a good thing. Confidence in your gear is of worth.

If you like your 7600 and can hit with it, that indeed is good enough.

#9 ·
There are pluses and minuses to everything.
Nothing is ever perfect.
The 7600 has been around for a reason..........they work.
Relax and enjoy your rifle.
You rifle is a pump, not a bolt.............these days around here that's kind of unique.
Of course you could also say it's an automatic (Amish version) ;)
Guess PA doesn't allow semi autos for deer.
Is what it is. In deer hunting history.........that is pretty cool.

#10 ·
A long time ago I bought into the heavy magnum hype. I was in Alaska at the time. I sold my Marlin 336T 35 Rem to help pay for it.:( I was in the AF and could not keep an arsenal and did not have extra money. I really liked that Marlin and it would have done everything I ever needed hunting I realized many guns later. I have never taken a shot over 70 yards and that was an elk. The moose was 25 yards max and my deer were 25 or less yards. I turned down a chance to shoot a bear and that would have been under 50 yards. I did not have the money to have the hide processed. Point is if what you have works and you are happy with it keep it. Keep your range down to what you can keep inside a 6" circle. Premium ammo or hand loads might tighten your groups.

#11 ·
David,While I have never liked the Remington pump and semi-auto style rifles,they have taken game all over the world with them. If your rifle shoots as you say,use it and show your buddies up!
I do agree with them as to the accuracy differences between a bolt action and a pump action rifle when it comes to precision accuracy and shooting long range targets.
For hunting,the style of action really doesn't matter as long as the hunter can shoot it good from any position that he/she has to take the shot from.

#17 ·
Sir, you would be a fool, IMO, to change things, if you are shooting that accurately.
There's generally better accuracy with a bolt gun VS semi-autos, but I have a
AR that is more accurate(not by much) than both my best bolt actions. This year,
instead of getting more guns, I intend to get the ones I already have shooting
straight. The quest for accuracy is often difficult. You have a winner in the now,
stick with it. Can any of these bolt action fans shoot better than you and your rifle?

#19 ·
here's my thoughts. use th gun that you can shoot accurately. doesn't matter what your friends are using. doesn't matter what their opinions are on whether a bolt action is more accurate or not. your pump rifle is way more than plenty accurate enough!

as a general rule, yes bolt actions are usually more accurate than pump, or semi-auto rifles. but you have taken the time to find out what ammo works extremely well with your rifle, and as a result, it's plenty accurate.

enjoy your rifle and tell your friends to mind their own business, unless they are going to fork over the money for you to buy a new bolt action!

Reactions: David_Ray
#34 ·
Since your pump action in 280 Remington is that accurate I’d stay with it. I’d never part wit it.

Most of the time I see 1 1/2” groups at 100yds.

My ‘94 Remington 700 in 338wm will put two bullets through the same hole taking out the “X” at 100yds using new Winchester super X ammo. It’s very rare to see this kind of accuracy with store bought ammo.

#35 ·
I've had a few people tell me they can't believe it shoots that good with factory ammo. But those Winchester 140 Silver Ballistic tips are the only ones it likes. The other 4 brands I shot wasn't terrible but nothing to brag about. I got luck for sure

#36 ·
To shoot longer accurate shots I’d get a scope with BDC that’s bullet drop compisation your dope the scope by the top turret to the distance your shooting using a range finder. All my hunting rifles have this feature. There sighted in at 100/150yds and the turret goes out too 450/500 yards with no error.

The 140gr bullets is about right.

Reactions: David_Ray
#38 · (Edited)
My basic hunting battery for a long time was the Gamemaster, Fieldmaster, and Wingmaster. 30-06, 22LR, and 12 gauge respectively. Inlost them in the rear fire of '99. My Gamemaster was a 760. I would still be tooling on worth these had they not burnt up.I don't honestly know the difference between it and the 7600, but I am sure they are similar.

The Gamemaster is an inherently accurate rifle. On par with the 700. Two caveats. 1, don't let the barrel heat, it is a shorter contour. 2, don't let the slide rest against the barrel as it does have some wobble. The Gamemaster barrel is completely free floating. The group you posted is proof enough of that.

The only reason I can think of where there is a handicap when compared to a bolt action is strength. The 760 will not handle loads as hot as the 700. It just does not have the camming power. So you could be operating with as much as a 200 fps disparity which can make a difference at extended range.

The Gamemaster bolt has a dozen or so lugs that lock into the receiver. It's plenty strong, uwst not as strong as a bolt. My #12 Speer manual says to only use starting loads because of this. A guick look at this manual shows 2976 fps with a max charge of IMR4831 pushing a 145 grain bullet, 2765 fps with a minimum load of the same powder.

#39 ·
My basic hunting battery for a long time was the Game after, Fieldmaster, and Wingmaster. 30-06, 22LR, and 12 gauge respectively. Inlost them in the rear fire of '99. My Gamemaster was a 760. I would still be tooling on worth these had they not burnt up.I don't honestly know the difference between it and the 7600, but I am sure they are similar.

The Gamemaster is an inherently accurate rifle. On par with the 700. Two caveats. 1, don't let the barrel heat, it is a shorter contour. 2, don't let the slide rest against the barrel as it does have some wobble. The Gamemaster barrel is completely free floating. The group you posted is proof enough of that.

The only reason I can think of where there is a handicap when compared to a bolt action is strength. The 760 will not handle loads as hot as the 700. It just does not have the camming power. So you could be operating with as much as a 200 fps disparity which can make a difference at extended range.

The Gamemaster bolt has a dozen or so lugs that lock into the receiver. It's plenty strong, uwst not as strong as a bolt. My #12 Speer manual says to only use starting loads because of this. A guick look at this manual shows 2976 fps with a max charge of IMR4831 pushing a 145 grain bullet, 2765 fps with a minimum load of the same powder.
Thanks for the input

#40 ·
I have put the smack down on some hogs this season with my 7600 pump. That 280 is on the money. I don't shoot paper or long distances with it. 500 is my max, but people are saying I need a bolt action to do that. I don't see why myself. If my pump is not slinging bullets all over the place it's doing it's job. But people are always saying get a bolt action it's better.
The group you posted is indeed impressive for any rifle in any configuration. But as you said it happened with one type of bullet/ammo. It is not really difficult to try enough different brands of ammo/bullets and fid one or two that will shoot well out of a hunting gun, anyone can do that. And for some casual shooting at 500 yards just about any rifle/ammo that will do MOA will give you all the satisfaction you need as long as you have the optics needed to get there consistently. And if it's a known non variable distance just about any scope will do.

On the other hand a dedicated long range rifle is usually a precision built machine that will usually give you sub-MOA groups with just about any quality ammo you run through it because it is built to very tight tolerances. It is usually paired up with optics that will easily and REPETITIVELY adjust for windage and drop so you don't have to use Kentucky windage to hit a target and can zero on the run to ANY distance from up at powder burn ranges to way past where you can see a target, and ALWAYS return to your true zero after you take the shot. This is usually not your standard hog hunting gun. Also wind will just START becoming a factor to 500 and a few hundred yards after that if you do not have your DOPE and distance dialed in real tight your bullet will miss the target completely if you are off just a few yards in your distance measurement or wind assessment

So both you and your friends are kind of right. A bolt action (set up as a Long Range precision gun) will be a better platform for dedicated long distance shooting and SHOULD BE more accurate all around with many types of quality commercial ammo. But for general hunting AND casual shooting at KNOWN distances up to 500 or so yards your setup should be fine.

#43 ·
You would have to be a very fine marksman for the difference in accuracy of the two types to make a significant difference. I am of the opinion that most deer, shot at "500 yards," if the distance was measured, would be closer to 100, than 500. The distance, weight and point count grow with the telling.

Reactions: 303tom
#44 ·
All of the deer I have shot in over 30 years has been under 300 yards. But I would like to know how mine groups at 500 yards just to see. I have a buddy that I hunt with that has bean fields and you never know when that buck of a life time will step out passed my 300 yard range that I've shot. So I would like to know how my gun is gonna do

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.