pump action, awesome?

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by zhuk, Mar 16, 2010.

1. zhuk

zhuk New Member

Only asking as I never even considered pump action .22s until I was shooting metallic silhouette last Saturday, and someone mentioned the incongruity of our stupid laws:

How pump action shotguns = illegal (Because as everyone knows, get shot with one of these & you fly back 20ft, just like in the movies lol)

Pump action rifles = legal

(Huh?)

I've seen one pump action .223 in action, but .22LR had never occurred to me, heh. Those bunnies wouldn't stand a chance lol

Awesome? y/n? :D

[​IMG]

2. jeepcreep927

jeepcreep927 New Member

I have lusted after my brother's Remington 572 for the past 20+ years!

Definately "awesome".

3. Madderdaddy

Madderdaddy New Member

They must make powerful shotguns in Aussi because ive never even seen a 12 Gauge throw a squirrell back 20 ft.

4. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

My dad has an old winchester 62 pump 22lr. It will hit 12x12 steel at 100 yards every time if you do your part. Pump action 22's are fun more fun than a 10/22 and not hard to load as well....

5. RedJeep2002

RedJeep2002 New Member

I just bought a remington 572 at the gun show that just past and I have not got to fire it yet plus it is my first gun just to find a place to shoot it that doesn't cost $180 to be a member. the main reason I bought this gun is that it was a pump action .22 and it was a remington.

6. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

I've got a Marlin model 37 Slide-action...
    [​IMG]

Sadly, you'll only find 'em used...but WOW!! What shooters they are :D

Much to be said for that old 24" barrel :D

The only one that was making a decent pump .22lr was Puma recently...I think maybe Rossi did as well.

7. zhuk

zhuk New Member

Hey that's not all. We also know that anything 'black & scary' or of 'military appearance' is inherently evil...and don't get me started on the vile abomination that is pistols grips, and their uncanny ability to turn bolt action rifles into 'assault weapons' lol

Nice, tango. Since we can't have 10/22s down here, good to know. Unfortunately, that just adds to my atm theoretical mental list of 'guns I ought to own' :D

Sounds good for your 1st gun :) Gets a good write-up on the SSAA site: http://www.ssaa.org.au/stories/rifles-remington-572-bdl-fieldmaster.html

Hey can I ask...Do you have to belong to a club to shoot in your State? Ha I thought it was only us down here who had to jump through those kind of hoops!

8. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

Pump 22s

The 121 was made in 1946 and belonged to Dad. The 572 I bought to take the place of the 121 after I left Home. The J.C.Higgins I bought at an estate sale for $35.
    Mod 121 Rem 22.jpg
    Mod 572 Rem 22.jpg
    Mogel 33,J,C.Higgins 22.jpg

9. ta1588

ta1588 New Member

lol, my 12 gauge threw an old hp printer back about 2 or 3 feet. It kind of rolled.

10. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I vote yes! I love pump or lever guns. :cool:

11. zhuk

zhuk New Member

Tried a lever action for Saturday's comp (I'd never actually see one before) and I have to say woot! much faster than a bolt action. Fun.

Not that it made any difference to my crap score, heh. Operator error will always work against the best of tools :eek:

12. tuck2

tuck2 New Member

In 1949 I was given a Remington Mdl 121 pump 22 LR. I had a Weaver J 4 scope mounted on it. Because of the fast reloading as a kid I learned how to hit running jack rabbits with it . I shot a bunch of prairie dogs with that rife..A few years ago I got a like new one at a gun show that was made in 1948. When I got home from the gun show I loaded it up ,set a tin can out at about 25 yards and shot the can up jest like did with my first 22 pump back in 1949.

13. zhuk

zhuk New Member

Great story!

Makes me yearn that such things were possible for kids here (like they were, 'once upon a time' :rolleyes:)

14. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Zhuk, you're laws really are mind bogling. Can you guys have semi auto rifles or is that too much fire power for one individual? I personally never could get into pump action rifles but if I were in your shoes, I'd be all over one.

15. Mack Bolan

Mack Bolan New Member

i read this and i immediately thought "is this guy in IL?" , look over, sure enough bourbonais...i only know cause i was filling out the ISRA range membership (in bonfield,IL)the other day...haha...i know kind of frustrating...

we all waiting for the buffalo range in ottawa to open in april, thats one of the better options around here from what i've been told.

and i cant imagine a pump .22 not being a crapload of fun....

16. zhuk

zhuk New Member

Semi-autos? Nyet. Which with my enduring AK-fascination is pretty galling I have to say.

I haven't gone into this on the forum before, but a lil bit of background to the ban, so bear with me if you can:

Supposedly, *semis/autos/pump-action shotguns/handguns with less than 5" barrels & more than 10rnd mags* were banned due to the 1996 Port Arthur massacre - where a young man with the mental age of 8yrs, 6 months total firearm experience, managed to kill 35 with 64 shots total, 19 of those victims in less than 20 secs all with perfect headshots fired from the hip, with an AR & FN. (Ha he should have been an Olympian!)

But a whole raft of very weird stuff went down...no coronial inquest or trial...no examining of crime scene evidence. Howard had the cafe where it happened razed to the ground 2 days later, as to leave it standing would have been "too painful for the families". What a crock. This guy was sentenced to life on the pretext of a "confession" and is not allowed any visitors...not even family...only the prison psych which is strange since he was assessed as sane to be able to sign a confession. Our assorted serial killers in Supermax don't have those sort of restrictions...the whole thing has a decidedly political stench. Check out this gem:

"There will never be uniform Gun Laws in Australia until we see a massacre somewhere in Tasmania" - Barry Unsworth, NSW Premier, December, 1987 at a conference in Hobart.

^^Now why the f would anyone say that in 1987??

Port Arthur Massacre Setup - False flag to ban guns in Aus, page 1
    Port Arthur Coverup by Ian McNiven - Information About The Deception & Coverup At Port Arthur | Love for Life

Just before I get off this soapbox, I gotta say: THIS kinda thing is why you guys in the US need to fight all you can to retain the rights you have. Fight the creeping forces which threaten to disarm you. We have never had any 'right' to own/use firearms in the first place (it is considerd a 'privilege' conferred by the Police Commissioner, not a 'right).

So you really need to be vigilant, guys. I can't stress this enough...

OK, phew. What was your question again, spitty? Oh yeah :p

So it's bolt or pump action rifles only. But not shotguns. Makes no damn sense at all...but then our stupid laws were never designed to. It was all purely a political excercise by that well-known hoplophobe (thanks to CA for that term!), John effing Howard.

Not that the majority minded in the slightest; anti-gun kool-aid runs strong in the population's veins here :rolleyes:

17. ta1588

ta1588 New Member

can you guys not have lever guns down under? I'd pick a lever action in a rifle over a pump any day.

18. zhuk

zhuk New Member

Indeed we can!

But a lever-action .22 would have to go to the end of my as-yet theoretical shopping list. The handgun (& then a .223 rifle) have to come first :D

19. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

hahahahhaaa!!! I did the same thing with an old HP printer that kept eating paper and jamming. I have a box of hard drives that make for great targets too. The drivers make great rifle targets.:eek:

20. zhuk

zhuk New Member

Damn, taking out various types of technology that piss you off? Sounds most enjoyable, satisfying & catharthic. Get your own back, heh! Wish we could do that here :p