Pulling to the Left

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by Prime83, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Prime83

Prime83 New Member

I have been pulling my shots to the left what can I do to correct the problem

2. Zodiac131911

Zodiac131911 New Member

Try changing the position of your finger on the trigger that might help

3. dustinoif3

dustinoif3 New Member

Right or left handed shooter?

4. Prime83

Prime83 New Member

Right handed

Attached Files:

5. Jeepergeo

Jeepergeo New Member

Don't worry about where your shots are hitting on the target until you can get consistent groupings. Once you get consistent groupings, then adjust sights to bring the groupings to the desired point of impact.

There's too many holes in that target to really see if you are grouping. Try shooting five shots into each target, then change targets. This will make it easier to see if there are groups. The target shown has both grouping problems and wild shots, suggesting multiple problems (all of which can be corrected).

If you are not grouping and have flying shots, have somebody watch you shoot, or better, have someone take a video of you shooting. Watching the video should help identify the problem.

Typical problems:

1. Anticipation of recoil. This is common for someone new to a more powerful caliber or simply shooting more gun than the should. When one anticipates recoil, trigger control and breathing go haywire and shots get pulled.

2. Breathing problems. Deep breath. Align sights with target. Let out half breath. Hold breath, confirm target, squeeze trigger.

3. Sticky trigger or excessively high trigger pull. Clean the gun and check trigger pull.

4. Too much finger on trigger. The tip of the finger pad should be used to squeeze the trigger, not the first finger joint.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  6. hmh

hmh New Member

Agree with all that has been said but if you are shooting the the left and are right handed may be not enuf finger on the trigger. This will cause you to push the pistol to the left when pulling the trigger. Also sand bag it that way you can see what the pistol is doing.

7. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Look at this.

Attached Files:

8. Prime83

Prime83 New Member

This just started check out my last range trip

Attached Files:

9. Jeepergeo

Jeepergeo New Member

That target looks better, but still pretty scattered. You should try several 5 shot groups (each on a different target) and then compare the results to the Target Analysis diagram posted a few posts above.

Some things to think about:

Did you change ammunition?

Did the gun go back together correctly after the last range trip and cleaning?

This is not a sight issue, so don't worry about them for now.

10. trip286

trip286 New Member

Even that target shows a definite liberalism (to the left :) ) I have the same issue with my new gun. It has a bit of take up in the trigger, and an approximate 5lb pull. I was able to correct most of my liberal groupings by wrapping more of my finger around the trigger.

11. Prime83

Prime83 New Member

No change in ammo

And yes everything went back together as usual

12. Glockpotion23

Glockpotion23 New Member

Dont wouldnt worry too much about it right now as long as you work on grouping better. I have the same problem with my glock but i have better groupings now. I have standard sights which cant be moved so not sure what to do on that. I have better groupings with my .45 than the .40.

13. dango

dango Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I'd say that's pretty good shooting and you'll only get better.:D

14. Jeepergeo

Jeepergeo New Member

15. dustinoif3

dustinoif3 New Member

I think you should also check and make sure factory rear sight is in the correct position as far as centered in the slide or matching the front sight. I would put a caliper on it because I bought a 1911 awhile back that was consistently shooting left. I tried different ammo and nothing worked. Ended up being the rear sight off a 1/16th

16. invicta8926

invicta8926 New Member

I'm having the same problem.

17. dustinoif3

dustinoif3 New Member

Something else to do that helps me with fundamentals is to just load 5 rounds in your magazines. Just like the gentleman said earlier. 5 round shot groups. Sometimes when I have a full mags I'll get flyers or start pulling because of eye fatigue and the mechanics getting weak from standing there locked out.

18. invicta8926

invicta8926 New Member

Wow, I figured out (through watching YouTube) about the six o'clock site picture. Boy it works wonders, now I hit what I'm aiming at.

19. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Sounds like your camber is off. Try inserting a shim under your left armpit and get one of those golf hats with the dangly things hanging off the bill. These help you tell if your nugget is plumb and level before you fire.

JK

Tack

20. invicta8926

invicta8926 New Member

Ok, I'll look into that.