Pulled a slick one on anti-gun apprenticeship program

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by Jstrong, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

Well found out last night my apprenticeship school instituted a no-firearms allowed policy,when they previously were fine with it due to one student being an idiot. They will not be posting signs though,just handed out a new policy agreement for everyone to sign stating they have the right to throw you out for having a firearm. I pulled out my original copy of the agreement they gave us to keep that didnt have the anti gun clause In it,signed that one and returned it in the new ones place. Nobody has noticed yet.

Would this matter if I'm caught? No legal action since they don't post but since they don't have the updated copy with my signature I don't think they could throw me out .

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  2. trip286

trip286 New Member

So what are you going to do about it?

3. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

Accidentally posted before I finished,re read OP

4. downsouth

downsouth New Member

Ok, you got over on them. I would call it a day and leave your gun in your vehicle gun safe while at class. You are there to get licensed for electrical work, stay focused. Jmo

5. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

Well that wouldn't work either seeing as its a property-wide policy,I wouldn't even be able to have my truck there.

6. downsouth

downsouth New Member

7. magnumman

magnumman New Member

does the agreement give them the right to search your vehicle?

8. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

I'm not completely sure to be honest,I doubt they would even if it says they can,but technically since its a school I wouldn't doubt they have a clause in there about it,most schools I've ever been too have one.

9. 1911love

1911love New Member

Thankfully in FL we passed a law in I think 2005 that makes it illegal for any employer from banning guns in locked vehicles on company property. I think Disney was what touched it off with their policy of no guns in cars in their parking lot. A few people got fired and I think sued, not too sure though. Here in FL Disney is really anti gun.

10. SSGSF

SSGSF New Member

Hey as long as you don't let any one know that you have a gun in your vehicle while you are in class no one is going to do anything. But if you advertise that you do then it's your your own dam fault.

11. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

You need to look a little closer at the law books. Guns are banned at schools, just about any type of school, including the property and parking lots. In Florida this includes Universities and Trade Schools. The OP needs to check his state laws on the subject. I know that here, in Fl, you would not only get thrown out of school, but also thrown into jail.

12. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

Well technically,the place all the apprentices go for school nights is also their place of business. It in fact is not classified as a "school" anywhere on the website or any reading material. I couldn't even get tax write-offs for being a student there. It is however, a association of all the non-union electrical contractors in the area as a forum and means in which to have dialog through, they also happen to have a program in which apprentices can get their necessary "school hours" to qualify for a state journeyman license.

I highly doubt a court of law classifies this place as a school,the IRS doesn't. It's a contractors association with an apprenticeship program. And before they instituted this policy it was known that some of us carried there.

13. FullautoUSA

FullautoUSA Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner Lifetime Supporter

Are they saying they can throw you for having one there or just having one?

14. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

Having one on the property,including in a vehicle there.

15. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

The state says you are an adult when they issue you a CCW permit. That means you will obey all firearms laws not just the ones you like. It is very likely your disregard for the rights of private property owners is going to deprive you of a career and you will never own or carry a firearm the rest of you life. You are risking a felony charge.:(

16. trip286

trip286 New Member

Maybe not a felony in Tennessee, but deep doodoo for sure.

Jstrong, I would say leave it locked up in your vehicle and keep your lips locked too. Now, I occasionally carried on school campus in college, as did several others I know, and THAT I'm pretty sure is a felony. But... One of those "not as I do" kind of things.

One thing is for sure. If anyone wanted to shoot up my college, they'd have been FUBAR'd. I believe probably every single classroom has/had at last one gun, either in a student's possession or a teacher's.

17. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

I don't see how this is a likely result seeing as how they DO NOT post no firearms signs around the building,leaving them with no legal recourse. State law also says in order for them to excercise their property rights they must post signs in accordance and up to par with what the law calls for.

I wouldn't do anything I thought would leave me with a felony charge my friend,as much as I hate the current state of firearms laws I will play ball in order to retain the ones I do have.

This thread is mostly a "what if" type thing. When it comes down to it I'll most likely end up just leaving it in the truck lockbox I have bolted to the floorboard.

18. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I agree with SSGSF, (How'd that happen?:D) concealed means

concealed. Discretion is the better part of valor. At least, that's

what I heard...

19. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

It is stated in the Firearms Laws of Tenn the violation of rules of Public or Private Trg centers schools etc when carrying weapons open or concealed is a crime. The crime is a Class E Felony under Tenn. Law. :(

http://felonyguide.com/Tennessee-Felony.php

Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  20. 1911love

1911love New Member

Chainfire, I misspoke. The law doesn't include schools or courthouses. There could be a couple more forbidden places, but I'm not sure.