Puerto Rico as the 51st State?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by TimL2952, Feb 14, 2012.

1. TimL2952

TimL2952 New Member

In November 2011, documents were presented that consider admitting Puerto Rico to the Union as the 51st state.

My question to all of you is simply "What do you think??"

I'm using this topic as an Issue Proposal in my english class and would like some other views on the topic for my Exploratory Paper.

Puerto Rico has very limited representation in Congress (I think only one individual) and he has little to no input on serious matters.

Puerto Ricans are not subject to Federal Taxes such as an income tax unless they work in an American business or if they work inside the U.S.

It has been a U.S. Commonwealth since 1898 and since then we have admitted Oklahoma in 1907, Arizona and New Mexico in 1912, and Hawaii and Alaska in 1959.

Please...Keep it Civil. I would just like your thoughts on courses of action. Yes? No? Stay the same? Make a few changes??

2. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR New Member

Great...Going to need a new flag with more stars.......

3. DodgerBlue

DodgerBlue New Member

No for 2 reasons right off the bat. didn't even have to think of these two.

1. We can't afford the 50 we have now

2. I have a feeling P.R. will be another burden Like California for example.

It will give the democrats more electoral votes I'm guessing. Just another Blue State catering to liberals.

4. TimL2952

TimL2952 New Member

I was considering these points. But, Puerto Rico's biggest voice is from a Republican Representatives in Florida. Also, people think that the 50 million we spend on them a year in relief could be curbed if they are subject to our taxes, and would help U.S. tourism.

although a large portion of the nation/commonwealth/thing is under the poverty line

5. vincent

vincent New Member

Can you link us up to the Nov. 2011 documents? I wouldn't know where to begin looking for that proposal...

6. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

What is the benefit to the other 50 states to have PR as a state?

7. kenhesr

kenhesr New Member

I don't think the Puerto Ricans would vote for statehood? In fact I think they have voted it down before?

Why pay taxes when you get the bennies with no out of pocket.:cool:

8. trip286

trip286 New Member

I think you may be correct. I don't know for sure, but I seem to recall the option being presented to them on more than one occasion.

9. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

+1 Dodgerblue

Last thing we need is another Left leaning state with ****ty gun laws. They're on an island and can stay there.

Tack

10. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

I know how we can fix that. We could sell California, New York, New Jersey, and Illinois and make a huge profit off of them. Plus, it would solve several of our other problems at the same time. :D

11. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

All the states you list have negative debt to income ratios...
    Sell them at a massive profit?
    I'm guessing you don't manage money for a living.:)

Tack

12. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

We'd still be better off without them. :D

13. pagj17

pagj17 New Member

"For Sale by owner, take over payments" problem solved, and we'd save money which, in two years we could look back and count as "profit"

14. TimL2952

TimL2952 New Member

OP here....I'm from NY :/ guess I could just move to PR...I speak enough spanish :)

15. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

Texas Wood, please look at the most powerful gun crab in American history. This did not come from any of the states you mentioned. The tenure of Lyndon Johnson and his Austin Staff was the most oppressive gun control move in history. Please review the 1968 Gun Laws passed by the Lyndon Johnson New Dealers, it was real bad. The Texas New Dealers delt gun owners a crushing blow. We need to view this as a battle where we are all brothers its not just a regional problem.:(

16. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

Why not just sell the cities that are causing the problem instead? "LA, San Fran, Chicago, Albany, and NYC $25 trillion OBO for all. Free gift if you buy today! All of New Jersey! Call 555-5555 if interested. Operators are standing by.":D

Yep, it's a joke, but think of the long term savings.

On PR as #51. I don't think that they will go for it. Plus or government can't afford the ones they have, why would they want another one pizzed at them? Just my $.02.

17. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Sell them "as is".

"If you call right now you get 'Chicago' for $25 trillion dollars. But wait, there's more. If you are one of the first 4 callers we will throw in another city for the same low price of $25 trillion dollars."

18. Charlie

Charlie New Member

I don't think it should be done because we got enough problems with 50. Then we would have more over payed politician's. The ones we have can't run the country!

19. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

To pull this off you'd need very dumb buyers with very deep pockets. That's not a combination you come across too often.

20. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

NO way!!!! , Our government is already got us in enough sh!t without them . 56% of PR is poverty stricken thats just more people milking off the system that cant pay taxes anyway . Time to leave good enough alone and worry about what we already have here thats in trouble .
    All though if we could trade their 3.7 million people for Chicagos 18 million people maybe we would still be better off :D

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012