Public safety: Ban Guns? Or Doctors?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Route 66 Rambler, Oct 7, 2009.

1. Route 66 Rambler

Route 66 Rambler New Member

(A) The number of physicians in the U.S. is 700,000.
    (B) Accidental deaths caused by Physicians per year are 120,000.
    (C) Accidental deaths per physician is 0.171.

(Statistics courtesy of U.S. Dept. of Health Human Services)

Guns
    (A) The number of gun owners in the U.S. is 80,000,000+.
    Yes, that is 80 million+.

(B) The number of accidental gun deaths per year, all age groups, is 1,500.
    (C) The number of accidental deaths per gun owner is <0.000188.

Statistically, doctors are approximately 9,000 times more likely than gun owners to kill someone.
    Remember, "Guns don't kill people, doctors do."

FACT: NOT EVERYONE HAS A GUN, BUT ALMOST EVERYONE HAS AT LEAST ONE DOCTOR.

Please alert your friends to this alarming threat. We must ban doctors before this gets completely out of hand! This statistic does not even include those that the President warned us about, who run around ripping out tonsils and whacking feet just to make a quick buck.

Out of concern for the public at large, I have withheld the statistics on lawyers, for fear the shock would cause people to panic and seek medical attention. The last thing we need is for all those one-footed people with missing tonsils to run up against one of these "assault doctors" and end up dead...

Not to mention that I haven't even begun to handle the troublesome statistics involving cars driven by politicians. :eek:

2. 2hot2handle

2hot2handle New Member

Yeah I made a thread bout this earlier. Still amazes me..........:eek:

3. Route 66 Rambler

Sorry, didn't mean to duplicate your work. I missed it somehow. It seems to me we also need to ban ladders, hammers and kitchen drains, since that stuff kills just about everybody else.

4. 2hot2handle

2hot2handle New Member

Hey no problem on reposting. I know, maybe we should all live in nice small rooms with padding on the floor and walls and they probably should spoon feed us while our hands our tied so we don't hurt ourselves or any one else...........

5. ethernetweb

ethernetweb New Member

Scary statistics.

However, in the defense of doctors, maintaining the human body is a bit more complicated then a firearm.

But I totally agree - guns are not the problem. It's the idiots using them.

I always say, "They can ban all guns, but be aware that you can make explosive and chemical weapons with materials from WALMART that will do far more damage then any WELL armed assailant. Criminals will use the tools available, and they wont give away the ones they already have if they're illegal."

6. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Preaching to the choir guys. :D

7. Yunus

Yunus New Member

There is a fact that is being overlooked on this statistic. How many of those people who died in the doctor's care would have died if they did not have a doctor in the first place?

How many of those people who died from accidental gunfire would have died if they didn't have guns in the first place? The number would not be 0 but I'm guessing it would be lower than the number of people who die without doctors.

I'm not making an argument for restricting guns, I'm just pointing out that were not comparing Apples to Apples in this example.

8. feedsasquatch

feedsasquatch New Member

True, however, those same people probably would have done something equally as stupid (e.g. looking down a barrel and puling the trigger to see if its empty, or blowing their testicles off because they were mexican carrying) later that month to rid themselves from the human gene pool:D

9. Route 66 Rambler

Anybody who thinks this is a serious subject for argument has got no sense of humour. I found it to be amusing, I wasn't presenting an argument against gun bans on a forum for gun enthusiasts. I'm fairly certain that most folks here are against it. ergo, no need to argue that way.

And how many of those people who died from gun "accidents" would have died from car accidents or problems with their doctor? The statistic is for accidental deaths. Not for people who would have died without treatment.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
  10. gregs887

gregs887 New Member

A better idea would be to ban "stupid"....I'm just sayin...

11. orangello

orangello New Member

Very funny post.

Eventually, we are all worm food, one way or the other, so they all would have died, just not at that time. Personally, i would rather face an armed assailant than go to the doctor; i don't like taking my car to the mechanic either.

12. OlPainless

OlPainless New Member

An analysis of more than 7 million recent discharge records from hospitals in 28 states reveals that a group of 18 medical injuries that occur during hospitalization may account for 2.4 million extra hospital days, $9.3 billion in excess charges, and almost 32,600 attributable deaths in the United States annually. The most serious offender is sepsis, a severe infection that sometimes develops after surgery. Sepsis occurs in approximately 11 per 1000 cases and is associated with the greatest increases in length of stay (11 days), charges ($57,727), and in-hospital mortality (22 percent of all sepsis cases are fatal.).

Screw Doctors, lets ban bacteria! :D