Pt 92AFS QUESTION

Discussion in 'Taurus Forum' started by SmithKid308, Jan 9, 2014.

1. SmithKid308

SmithKid308 New Member

Ok so yesterday I purchased a Pt 92 and it was chrome or nickel or stainless or what ever it is. Anyway I want to change the frame from that to black and I don't know it this is possible to do and I was just wondering. It is a new gun btw

2. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

It wouldn't be exactly easy if it is plated. If it is stainless, then bead blasting or sand blasting to rough it up, and having it coated with Duracoat, Cerakote, or other product would work well.

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

AF-S means Alloy Framed, Stainless Slide.

In general, neither stainless not aluminum based alloys can be blued, since bluing is a form of controlled rusting (black iron oxide instead of red iron oxide)

They CAN be colored by applying a surface coloring material. Not well, and in general, does not wear well. There are products like Cerra Cote that are intended to be permanent color coverings.

4. SmithKid308

SmithKid308 New Member

I'm talking about buying an entirely new frame that is black, is that possible

5. SSGN_Doc

The frame is the part with the serial number on it. So, buying a new frame means you are buying a new firearm.

If it is an alloy frame, and stainless slide, then using a coating would be the way to make it black. you can youtube search some tutorials on Duracoat. Or go to the Brownell's website, where they have som good tutorials in their gunsmitthing section on using some of their coatings

6. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

you can buy another frame, but it would have to go through an FFL dealer just as if it were a complete gun. the frame is the part that carries the serial number and the part of a pistol the BATF considers the firearm.

it might be cheaper to just sell the one you have and buy one that you like better if you don't want to recoat it to another color.

7. SmithKid308

SmithKid308 New Member

I want a black frame and stainless slide and black barrel, im gonna keep it
    I have 2 guns like it now the other being a smith model 59

Attached Files:

8. SSGN_Doc

Yeah, Duracoat would work on the frme and slide. Or Cerakote, or Norrell's Moly Resin or similar products.

9. SmithKid308

SmithKid308 New Member

Would it look good? Or be able to come off ?

10. SSGN_Doc

I'm at work on my lunch break. But you can google some pictures of Duracoat, or CeraKote. They are resin coatings that are very hard once they cure. They do not come off easily. Normal gun solvents won't do anything to them. They protect better than bluing, and wear a bit better than Parkerizing.

They look good if you do the proper prep work, and follow the manufacturers instructions.

11. JonM

JonM Moderator

Depends on who does the job. There are some outfits that will make cerakoting that looks like it came from the factory that way others not so much...