psu gunsmith school

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by BadKarma74, Apr 6, 2012.

1. BadKarma74

BadKarma74 New Member

Does anybody know anything about the Phoenix state university online course.Is it any good or is it a waste of time

2. PlaysWithZombies

PlaysWithZombies New Member

Hey man, welcome to the forum

I don't know anything about online gunsmith school but if you're patient someone who does will come along and comment. In the meantime, have you searched older threads for advice?

3. BadKarma74

BadKarma74 New Member

Thanks for the greeting.I have seen only for the Penn foster I think it is

4. PlaysWithZombies

PlaysWithZombies New Member

My thinking is it would be best to either apprentice under a real gunsmith, or go to a physical vocational school, just for the benefit of hands on experience. Are either of those an option for you?

5. BadKarma74

BadKarma74 New Member

No not really I work full time and thought of doing it on the side

6. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

This has been talked about alot on this forum. You can do a search for " gunsmith school". In a nutshell - any schooling will help you some but hands on is a requirement before working on someone elses guns. Also shop time with machine tools is a huge help. You got a good plan with keeping your day job!

7. BadKarma74

BadKarma74 New Member

Thank for the good advice.maybe ill go talk to some local gunsmith and see what they have to say. Thanks again

8. blueshield67

blueshield67 New Member

Idk about Penn Foster but there's a program at Sonoran Deserts institute that's online but you actually have projects you have to complete that they send you along with all the basic gunsmith tools.

9. BadKarma74

BadKarma74 New Member

Ill have to check that out thanks

10. pfev1980

pfev1980 New Member

I've emailed Sonoran Deserts about ten times now with questions about using my GI Bill there with no answer. Starting to think they don't want my money. Anyone have a real contact there besides their customer service email? I'm in the military, have a half dozen kids and go to school full time, so online is really my only option right now.

11. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Penn foster is an okay basic program. Sonoran is the best you're gonna get. Pheonix is a scam.
    I took the Penn foster course for s&g. It's supposed to be a minimum 6 month course. I finished it in about a month.
    http://www.sdi.edu/contact.html
    I would recommend calling.

12. blueshield67

blueshield67 New Member

480-314-2102 is the number to the school when I called they were very friendly

13. wjnfirearms

wjnfirearms New Member

The only thing I have issue with correspondence schools for gunsmithing is the lack of hands on training. Watching examples on video or online, etc. like the courses advertised by the Gun Club of America, etc., may be good for theory, but for practical experience, I don't know.

There's one of the best schools right in my backyard. They've been around since 1949. I just wish I had the time and money to enroll.

http://www.pagunsmith.edu/about.php

14. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

You are 100% correct. There is no substitute for hands on. Tipi can have all the knowledge base in the world but if your hands don't do ask they are asked (so to speak) then you're screwed. Anyone who takes one of these courses and has no hands on experience that calls themselves a smith should be avoided at all cost. It is nothing more than a place to start which may help you in finding an apprenticeship.

15. pfev1980

pfev1980 New Member

I don't think anyone who is looking to become a professional gunsmith is going to look at one of these courses and think this is what they need to open shop. However, there are those of us who are interested in gunsmithing who don't have time to apprentice or attend a full time school and are looking for a place to start. I think we all know you can learn to make a cake by reading the back of the box, but no one is calling themselves a pastry chef until they do it a few times.

SWSinTN likes this.
  16. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I'm not saying anyone on here would do that. Penn foster is a good cheap start. Sonoran is much better and offers more advanced courses also but its expensive. Pheonix is just based off a single book which happens to be the first book I ever purchased. (good book though) (see attachment) take the sonoran course learn the basic of the trade and start working on your own guns. If you can avoid bringing a bag o' gun to a smith you're off to a good start. Start buying junkers and fix and mod them. Go from there.

Attached Files:

17. BadKarma74

BadKarma74 New Member

Thanks for the advice ill try that

18. KllSwtch8473

KllSwtch8473 New Member

Not sure if you have talked to any of your local gunsmiths and not saying they would react the same way but everytime I have gone and asked about apprenticing they near bite my head off. Not sure if anyone has the same problem.

19. blueshield67

blueshield67 New Member

Same in my neck of the woods everyone I've talked yo says they're not looking for any and neither is anyone else