PSL, got one??

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by jpattersonnh, Apr 21, 2011.

1. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

A few years ago I bought 2 scoped PSL's(FPK) from Tennessee guns international. I gave one to my oldest son for his high school graduation. He shoots his all the time, Mine has never gone out. Just too many toys, too little time. I was thinking about selling mine to a friend. I started doing a little research. I take the rifle down to bare bones about every 8 months and clean it. I never realized that it is all matching. The receiver was scrubbed and re-stamped here, Even the cover matches.
    This is what I found. The Romanians disassembled the rifles, scrubbed the receivers, sent them all together to Tennessee guns and the stamped the receiver w/ their stamp, re-assembled them and sold them Where the TN stamp is tells the story. No U.S. trigger, barrel, piston, nothing. I even have a leather sling.
    My sons is soooooo accurate even w/ light ball my PU 91/30 does not shoot well. I paid $750.00 for both, shipped less then 5 years ago. I called a local shop, they said if it is as described they would give me $975.00 for mine! :eek::eek:There is one on Gunbroker w/ a bubba bi-pod for $1400.00. I'm taking mine out to play tomorrow. It took 15 minutes to zero the scope w/ the open sights.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
  2. m72law

m72law New Member

thats some nice wood on that PSL jp....they are very fun & accurate rifles...i picked mine up last year @ AIMsurplus for 525.00 not sure if its all matching?i have notice that theres not to many online places carrying them anymore.i see a few parts kits show up every now&then...

do you know if yours & sons rifles have the screw on or pin on muzzle breaks?

3. jpattersonnh

Pinned and bayo lug.

4. m72law

m72law New Member

same here,pinned w/lug...i've heard that most PSL's that are threaded @ the muzzle,have the same threade size as the SVD's?...i'm wondering if i could get my pinned brake off & thread it to accept the SVD brake?...i just like that M-14 looking style brake :)...might be more work then what its worth?...not to mention the extra $40 bucks for the new break...ehhhh

5. jpattersonnh

Your talking the U.S. builds that have non original parts. You'll have to replace the front sight to make that work. Why bother and reduce the Value.

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

ive always wanted one but have been kinda leery of em. lots of conflicting info on whats the diff tween it and a svd who makes a good one what to look for in one etc.

7. m72law

m72law New Member

the PSL's & SVD's are two very diffrent rifles...they might look close to the same & shoot the same cal. rds. but not close...this is where i have always heard bad things about the PSL's because they are nothing more than a over sized AK-type rifle...& thats pretty much the truth for a PSL,but they are a hell-of-alot more accurate.the scope is neat too for a fixed power..whats not to like about a cheap,simple,accurate,reliable,semiauto,knockdown rd. rifle?;)

they're fit & finish might not be the greatest,but i dont like shooting my purrrrdy rifles anyways:D

dont know if this guy's PSL shoots this good or not?...it is youtube:eek:[ame=http://youtu.be/ktaH0kdKV80]YouTube - Romak-3 Grouping at 600 Meters[/ame]

8. jpattersonnh

If you find one w/ the Cugir arsenal stamp in front of the mag well or TNG international(TGI) stamped in front of the mag well, those are the shooters and better quality. Others have U.S. made receivers that are not as ridged. The pinned compinsator is original, the screw on is U.S. made and shows a U.S. sight block and it could have a U.S. made barrel. Lots of U.S. variations.

9. JonM

JonM Moderator

thanks ive seen em a time or two at gunshows and there is one at the shop im getting my m16 from. now i know what to look for.

10. kenhesr

kenhesr New Member

[​IMG]

YEP! thats pretty much why I got one, an AK47 on steroids. Super easy to clean, accurate, dependable and very cheap to shoot. Mine has only had the CZ Silvertip light ball and loves it!

My FPK gets a lot of range time. Everybody that shoots it wants one. To tell the truth I don't think I'd take a grand for mine. I would need to buy another one and I already know how this one shoots.

I really kick myself for not picking up a short bbl FPK at the same time I bought this one. You hardly ever see them anymore.

I did find that I needed a bigger scope for those consistent 200 - 300yd beer can kills, (old eyeballs) and another 4" on the butt. Great Rifles!