PSL Dragunov

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by reddog, Jun 8, 2012.

1. reddog

reddog New Member

I bought a gun kit a couple years back and just recently finished it . The problem now is I've gauged it Go No Go and the No Go goes. Not sure what I need to do now.

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Welcome to FTF. I'd love to see pics.
    You got a bit of a job on your hands. I would recommend bringing it to a gunsmith.

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

Using the right gage?? Its 7.62x54r. Not x51 or x39 both will go in and close.

The bolt carrier will also mostly close look closed but the bolt wont be rotated fully. Psl can fire with the bolt not fully locked

Last edited: Jun 8, 2012
  4. reddog

reddog New Member

Not really sure how to attach photo from iPhone

5. XxChino13xX

XxChino13xX New Member

Open up a new reply, then hit the little plus symbol in the top right corner of the screen next to the 'send' button. When you hit that, it'll open up and hit attach image from camera or attach from photos. And just follow it out from there.

6. reddog

reddog New Member

jpg 29.3 KB 650 650

Attached Files:

7. reddog

reddog New Member

Yes it is 7.62x54r. And I will check to see if the bolt does in fact rotate fully. However if this is the case , can it still be fired in a safe manner. I'll be honest with you I am a bit nervous to fire now wondering if it's going to backfire on me???

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

at this point you might want a field gage. if it doesnt close on a field gage your good to go. preference is to not close on nogo. if it closes on field then you need a gunsmith familiar with psl/ak47 rebarreling. not terribly common since they are considered disposable.

i would not fire it.

one other thing did you use a new barrel pin or the one it came with?? those cannot be reused and most of the kits send what was stripped off the original gun

these guys specialize in ak/psl/fpk type stuff. dont know anything about em but ive seen their name pop up a lot researching dragunovs and psl http://www.rifledynamics.com/

Last edited: Jun 8, 2012
  9. xcoreyyyx

xcoreyyyx New Member

No comments on what to do with it but it is really nice looking

10. triggerjob

triggerjob New Member

You might be able to save the barrel, by welding up the bolt face remachining to fit, and then lenthening the firing pin, and extractor. After you get it to fit, send it off to re heattreat.

Or

You can tig weld up the gas port, or thread it, plug it and sweat it. Set the barrel back as usual and then redrill a new gas port.

The second method is probly less risky, both require you to be a handy machinist. Unless there is somthing really different on this rifle, setting the barrel back is the way to go.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2012
  11. Tommygunarms

Tommygunarms New Member

there's a way to check headspace manually with out gauges, we use it in the shop for .22 rimfires, but i would try the feild gauge first

12. tacticalfun

tacticalfun Active Member

Where do you buy those? :((((((((((

13. Tommygunarms

Tommygunarms New Member

14. tacticalfun

Link me to a dragunov kit?

15. Tommygunarms

Tommygunarms New Member

what do you mean? you looking for a dragunov kit?

16. tacticalfun

Id love to own one. None for sale though :/

17. accessdenied01

accessdenied01 New Member

Its a really fun and awesome gun and I suggest you go to gun shows near you to buy one and make sure to get a pso scope with one

18. me762

me762 New Member

From what I understand to check headspace on an AK style weapon you need to remove the extractor..... or was that ar's? LOL I understand the reason for checking headspace but in the case of an ar what the hell could you do about it. Sorry didn't mean to derail your post

19. Tommygunarms

Tommygunarms New Member

On any gun you want to remove as much stuff as possible to keep it from impeding on the gauges, as for the AR you have to remove the ejector and the extractor as for the AK you have to remove the extractor since the ejector is on the receiver.

As for your question about what you could do about fixing the headspace on an AR you can take it to a gunsmith to take off the barrel and have the headspace corrected on a lathe

20. me762

me762 New Member

I have never had that problem myself but that makes sense. I figure you take material off the barrel extension not the upper. I have threaded and chambered bolt actions before under a master Gunsmith. That's why I have probably the only SMLE in 243 win. with that long mag/action a I can shoot them Berger 105gr though my mag not single load