PSA vs. BCM BCG

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by buffalolake, Jun 17, 2012.

1. buffalolake

buffalolake New Member

I have recently built an AR15 with parts from PSA, I"ve put a few hundred rounds through it with no problems. I love this gun. My son-in-law is pursuing a LEO career, and has recently become a Deputy Sheriff. I am helping him build an AR15 that he can carry for work. And by help, I mean that I am paying for everything except the stripped lower and sights, and teaching him how to assemble it. I bought him a nice upper from PSA the other day, but they were sold out of BCG's. Bravo Company had several in stock, on sale for $50 more than the equivelant PSA. I ordered the BCM BCG and Gunfighter handle. The BCM and PSA BCG's have almost identical specs, the only difference that I could see was that the BCM were high pressure tested, whereas the PSA was a little vague on the matter. Both were MPI'd and shot peened.

Here's the question, do I take the BCM for myself and give him my PSA? Or should I stick with my PSA that I know is properly headspaced and works with my AR, and give him the more expensive Bravo Company BCG. Either way, I am keeping the Gunfighter Charging handle

2. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Give him the BCM BCG, dont you want the best for your son as he will carrying it for work. He's depending his life on his best rifle, built by his beloved dad. You can also buy another BCM BCG or use the PSA's. It's not like BCM wont be selling anymore.
    Just my opinion, hope it helps.

3. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Best solution, get 2 BCM bcgs, give one 2 ur son, and use one in your rifle. Use the Psa as ur spare. You should always have a spare bolt. :D

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

The only time head spacing is an issue with building an ar15 is installing a barrel extension. Most barrels are already preindexed. Its a big reason ar15 are so easy to assemble. They are idiot proof on head space issues when new after the extension has been installed and indexed.

5. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Well you could always start a BCM build now, you've got two parts! :p

What you decide probably doesn't matter, the PSA BCG seems to be reliable but I'd rather have BCM, Colt or DD.

6. buffalolake

buffalolake New Member

As usual, AgentTikki has the best answer.

7. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

I wouldn't use a non factory assembled rifle for duty use. Plus a lot of departments don't allow it.

I don't think there's anything wrong w/ either BCG. Sounds like you kinda have an opinion on which is better. Go w/ that one.

8. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Y'know that's a real good point and well worth looking in to. Probably doesn't matter for most of us, but for LEOs many depts have a checklist for approved small arms. You sure don't want your custom build to be used against him in court. No matter how well it was put together and how good the parts are a defense attny could make your SIL look like a crazed fanatic looking to put someone down. I know a lot of LEOs are prohibited from even replacing a receiver end plate.

9. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

I think it's more of a reliability/consistency issue.

10. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Well no doubt a lot of the bling put on weapons impair function.

11. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

True......

12. buffalolake

buffalolake New Member

His department doesn't issue AR's or tactical shotguns, but they wil allow him to carry if he provides his own. I'll have to have him check on restrictions.

13. fetep

fetep New Member

I hate to do it.....but....This^^^^^. Haha!

I would never carry a rifle I built myself to put my life on the line;-)

14. fetep

fetep New Member

fixed cuz I wasn't paying attention.